collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 67
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Hoping for a specific Parent?  (Read 4280 times)

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
Hoping for a specific Parent?
« on: May 21, 2016, 09:25:27 pm »
So, I was wondering if it's wrong to hope for a specific Name (one that you feel a deep connection to) to be your Parent? Especially if you're just a beginner?

Thank you!
Biwi
“My two mothers set a good example (for me).”

Child of Sekhmet-Hethert and Serqet-Aset.
Beloved of Khonsu, Set, and Wepwawet-Yinepu.

Offline Rayashi

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
Re: Hoping for a specific Parent?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 09:31:36 pm »
Em hotep TheHandMaiden,

That is a normal feeling, especially if you're close with a specific netjeru.  My best advice is to be honest on your application and keep an open mind.  The results will make sense, even if it's not what you expect.

I was a Shemsu who got the parent she expected.

Senebty,
Rayashi
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Etsy

Offline Padememheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 09:41:54 pm »
I agree with Rayashi.  When I was a beginner I was also hoping for a specific Netjeru to appear as Parent too and as luck would have it, I got my wish.  All you have to do is be honest like Rayashi said, and of course patience never hurts either.  Just take your time exploring the Netjeru.  You might just end up with who you're hoping for.  :)
"When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - Futurama's "Godfellas"

Padememheru ~The One Mentioned by Heru~
Sa Heru-sa-Aset (or Heru-Nedjitef)
Mery Set, Aset-Serqet, his Nut

Online Ma'atnofret

• Rev. A'aqyt - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 09:43:50 pm »
I think it is very natural.
I ended up with whom I thought, but I was excited to embrace and learn about more names. Whatever happens, all the Names care for us so you can't really go wrong.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 09:48:56 pm by A'Aqytsekhmet »
A'Aqytsekhmet "Sekhmet's Servant"
Sat Sekhmet meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, Wenut, Sokar-Wesir, Heru-wer
Nekhen Iakhu Ihy Neferu Khau
Fedw Diviner  -  Shrine Image Service available  -  Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
 Patreon

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 10:08:33 pm »
Thank you all! I'll definitely be honest when I start filling out the application, and I'll try not to be too disappointed if She isn't my Parent. I'll still be connected to Her regardless.
Biwi
“My two mothers set a good example (for me).”

Child of Sekhmet-Hethert and Serqet-Aset.
Beloved of Khonsu, Set, and Wepwawet-Yinepu.

Offline Shuwyt

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 11:14:36 pm »
I think we all went through it!

It was a little scary for me when I first heard that certain Netjeru, including Yinepu, sometimes lead people to the House and then step back and turn out not to be part of their lineup, because I'd been so close to Him all my life and couldn't imagine what I'd do if He didn't show up. For me it all turned out okay!

There have been cases where someone's results were completely unexpected to that person (actually, my Beloveds were that for me), and I think even a very few where someone got a Name they had no prior relationship whatsoever with or didn't particularly care for, but the very grand majority of us end up happy no matter what. =)
Shuwytyinepu (Yinepu's Shadow)
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet, meryt Sokar-Wesir her Ra
Curiosity killed the - ooh! What's that?

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 06:49:58 am »
Em hotep!

As long as you don't get your hopes up, then it's fine.  It's quite natural and something we all have done before.   

I remember someone on the forum saying that your spiritual Parent is not always the God you like the most but rather the God(s) you *need* the most. 

Spiritual parentage in KO, however you define it, is not something you get to choose.  But the RPD and your line-up doesn't have to invalidate the relationships you've already made.  You may find you're closer to your Beloveds than your Parents.  You may be closer to Gods outside of your line-up.  But there will always be an intimate connection to your line-up because They made you who you are. 

Since it seems relevant, I didn't expect Aset.  I expected Heka for a good amount of reasons but since my RPD, Aset, Wesir, and Bast (and I believe another Beloved too) have made crazy amounts of sense in my life.  It's definitely an interesting process.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 06:59:11 am by Sekhepenaset »
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Ihhyensenu

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 08:59:27 am »
I had strong tied to 2 specific Netjeru when i discovered KO ( many many years ago). Those 2 always stuck with me, and i focused on them a lot during shrine. However the maturing of my faith brought a stronger connection to many others including my Father- Amun-Ra. I also experienced Set, Ptah, Thoth and a few others during my discovery.

I was happy with my line up, Sekhmet and Yinepu had always been with me, so i was excited to get them called.

I will mirror everyone else- enjoy this stage, learn, ask questions, don't rush into your RPD. While a certain parent or beloved may show up, be surprised that their voice may not be the loudest.
Rev. Ihhyensenu
"Acclaimed by Two"
Sat Sekhmet-Mut her Amun-Ra, meryt Yinepu-Wepwawet
W'ab Nekhen Senwy Nisut

Offline Tjemsy

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 10:41:41 am »
Hi, friend! It's totally normal to hope for a specific Parent (or Beloved). I'm so attached to Set that I was terrified that he wouldn't show as Parent, and as a result, I was a Nervous Wreck the day before my RPD. I did end up getting him as Parent, along with Sekhmet, who was a surprise but wasn't; I was expecting Taweret, but that was really just because I knew she was in there somewhere and Set needed a co-parent. I called pretty much everyone who would be in my lineup, and Nebthet joined the group not long afterward. I'm still as close to Set as I was before I was divined, too. ^^;
Tjemsy - "Two Red Ones"

Sat Sekhmet her Set
Meryt Heru-wer, Bast, Wepwawet, Taweret, Nebthet,
 & Nefertem-Imhotep

Fedw Diviner | Tjemsy@kemet.org

Offline Taqerisenu

• Devotional Writing
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 11:29:01 am »
There are a couple of Names that cannot show up in RPD line-ups ever: Atum and Ma'at. So, if yours is one of those, brace yourself for that. I admit, even though I knew Atum couldn't show up by name (I had noticed his absence and asked Hemet about it in a Beginner chat), I was still hoping, despite my reason. These Names still have a way of being present in other forms, though. I still get Atum as the primary way I perceive Ra (though Wesir-Ra is in the mix, too), and Ra was the first of my Beloveds. I have wondered if perhaps Ma'at ever shows up as one of the Ma'ati, or their aspects, for anyone with a close bond to Her...

That said, the Names we expect to show up will, a lot more often than not, though not always in the order expected. There were no surprises for me in my RPD line-up, and I am very happy with my Names, and I have a long-standing relationship with all of them. I love Heru-wer and Bast, and they had both already made indelible impacts on my life well before the RPD was even on my distant horizon.
Taqerisenu
("The Attendant of Two," or "The One That Attends to Two")

Sat Heru-wer her Bast her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS!)
Meryt Ra, Set, her Nebthet-Nit-Seshat.

Offline Khamheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 12:11:42 pm »
after the RPD, all makes sense. I didn't expect for any Name. At the least day of questionaire four-days-waiting, I felt I must to change some answers, whereas Heru-wer and Wesir came up in my mind. sometimes I find myself thinking how would be if I got a different Parent, and I am feel like a sinner heh
Heru-wer
Aset & Wesir & Set

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 10:37:47 am »
Just adding another voice to the chorus here saying this a totally normal feeling to have!

For me, the need for Hethert to be my Mother was very strong early on. She not only brought me to KO, but to religion as a whole (I was a lifelong atheist before), and I had been calling her Mother for a long time! I spent a lot of my time as a Beginner trying to separate myself from that, branching out to contact other Names and build relationships until I realized that I would be okay with whoever turned up. By the time I had my RPD, there were so many Names I had a connection to that any of them would have made me extremely happy if they had shown up in my lineup.

Hethert, in the end, is sort of there and sort of not--Hethert-Nut is very different from "vanilla" Hethert in many ways. Just goes to show that sometimes you get who you're expecting, but in a way you weren't anticipating at all.

Basically what I'm saying is: use your time as a Beginner (and later as Remetj) to branch out, explore, and talk to a lot of Names. In the end, if this is really for you, than whoever shows up in your RPD will end up being "right" in a way I can't really describe.

ETA: Oh, and don't lose hope if your particular deity is totally unprecedented in the RPD. I am the first and so far the only person to have Nehebkau as a Beloved (and I have various opinions as to why, but that's a conversation for another day). It can happen!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:44:30 am by Ha'autmuti »
- Ha'aut

"Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

Offline Tjemsy

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 01:56:37 pm »
ETA: Oh, and don't lose hope if your particular deity is totally unprecedented in the RPD. I am the first and so far the only person to have Nehebkau as a Beloved (and I have various opinions as to why, but that's a conversation for another day). It can happen!

On a similar note, several members have had Beloveds appear after their initial RPD, myself included. So, if a Netjeru doesn't show in your RPD, it's possible that they make step forward later on. Regardless of whether a Netjeru is "RPD official" or not, it's possible to still work with them and form a strong bond with them. ^^;
Tjemsy - "Two Red Ones"

Sat Sekhmet her Set
Meryt Heru-wer, Bast, Wepwawet, Taweret, Nebthet,
 & Nefertem-Imhotep

Fedw Diviner | Tjemsy@kemet.org

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 05:14:06 pm »
Just adding another voice to the chorus here saying this a totally normal feeling to have!

For me, the need for Hethert to be my Mother was very strong early on. She not only brought me to KO, but to religion as a whole (I was a lifelong atheist before), and I had been calling her Mother for a long time! I spent a lot of my time as a Beginner trying to separate myself from that, branching out to contact other Names and build relationships until I realized that I would be okay with whoever turned up. By the time I had my RPD, there were so many Names I had a connection to that any of them would have made me extremely happy if they had shown up in my lineup.

Hethert, in the end, is sort of there and sort of not--Hethert-Nut is very different from "vanilla" Hethert in many ways. Just goes to show that sometimes you get who you're expecting, but in a way you weren't anticipating at all.

Basically what I'm saying is: use your time as a Beginner (and later as Remetj) to branch out, explore, and talk to a lot of Names. In the end, if this is really for you, than whoever shows up in your RPD will end up being "right" in a way I can't really describe.

Ha'aut's situation was/is similar to mine, namely in the way that, in the years prior to my RPD, I had gotten to know so many Netjeru that nearly any one of Them "showing up" would've felt fulfilling. I did have a good idea, however, that Herishef, Amun-Re, and Set would show up in some capacity. And lo, They did!

When I first entertained the idea of going through with the RPD, I was afraid certain deities wouldn't "show up" (I was also torn over what priority my Mesopotamian religious practices were to take, at that time). So, I performed divination, and had divination performed for me by others to corroborate the results, and was effectively told "you're not ready; get your religious priorities in their proper order." So, I waited, and I made some measures to prioritize. By the time I felt ready for the process, I no longer had any fear about this or that God not appearing in my RPD lineup, or whether I'd be able to fulfill the Shemsu vows and attendant duties as a "sworn follower"/full convert of the Kemetic Orthodox religion. The only thing I was at all nervous about come the day of my RPD was the Akhu divination! Fortunately, there was absolutely nothing for me to fear from my Akhu. They had nothing but positive words for me; suffice it to say I was deeply relieved. The actual divination for the Netjeru, meanwhile, confirmed much of what I already suspected/knew.

Like Ha'aut, I am one of those "unprecedented 'Odd God' children." I have an "Odd God" Beloved (Wesir "as" Herishef), and an "Odd God" Parent (Banebdjedet, Amun-Re "as", and in such a way that I could truthfully articulate it three very different ways: as a child of Amun-Re, of Banebdjedet, and/or of Amun-Re-Banebdjedet). I didn't expect Banebdjedet to come through in any way; He was a pleasant surprise! ;D And, as Taqerisenu said, the only ones guaranteed to never appear are Ma'at and Atum -- nearly any Netjer(et) potentially can appear in your lineup, however (Modernly) obscure. I have a feeling that, with time, They won't be as "obscure" anymore. This is still a fairly new process, after all. :)

I thought Sobek might appear as a Beloved, since I sought Him out early in my "Kemetic infancy" on Set's insistence during a time of truly awful sickness and have maintained worship of Him (if spotty) ever since. However, Sobek didn't appear. Sobek not appearing in my RPD lineup never meant and will never mean that I can't continue my worship-relationship with Him, that I can't continue to love and adore Him. My not being revealed during the RPD as a Beloved of His didn't "hurt" me in any way. And, who knows? He might show in a future Beloved Divination, should I choose to pursue one. Either way, it's no skin off anybody's nose.

The RPD will "change you," for sure. It'll change your outlook on your personal devotions and so forth. But it's definitely not a scary or unpleasant change. Your "Creators," those chiefly responsible for your growth and welfare (your Parents), will appear. Those Who have decided after your birth to be involved in your life and to help "bring you up" (your Beloveds) will appear.

Whoever "shows up," in time you will come to love or at least appreciate Their being, Their importance and Their magnanimity, if you don't already. Trust.

It's perfectly alright to feel a bit nervous about it beforehand. As others have said several times already, just be as open as you can to the possibilities. If, on the other hand, you find you are too worried about Who will or won't show up, I advise you to wait for as long as it has to take until you are ready. I waited, and worked to make sure I would be ready for the RPD at least within a few years of the date of my postponement. I absolutely do not regret that decision. It's a very significant rite of passage, and anything worth doing is worth taking one's time with. Not being Divined yet doesn't mean you or anyone else can't have any devotions to any given Netjer(u/et), or that your devotions are somehow worth less. If you happen to need to take your time, take your time in the full knowledge that there is everything good about that. Fill that time with getting to know that Netjer(et) or those Netjeru, and with contemplating what being Divined will mean for you. :)

Senebty!
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3161
  • stats Total Posts: 295196
  • stats Total Topics: 20154
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119