collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 44
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Amun-Ra  (Read 7613 times)

Offline Sonebiyinepu

• Shemsu
Amun-Ra
« on: May 30, 2016, 04:34:11 pm »
Em Hotep

Does anyone have any good info on Amun-Ra

His name suddenly came to mind so I think He wants my attention

Thanks
"Yinepu heals me"
Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet
Beloved of Amun-Ra, Heru-Wer, Sokar-Wesir, and Sekhmet-Mut

Offline Mesutetamunra

• Shemsu
Re: Amun-Ra
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 07:38:11 pm »
I would suggest Adoration of the Ram: Five Hymns to Amun-Ra from Hibis Temple by David Klotz. It's a very interesting text of Hymns to Him from one of his temples. My siblings may have more suggestions for you.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or if you would like to chat about Him!
Mesutet
Sat Amun-Ra
Meryt Yinepu-Wepwawet
RPD 2012

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 09:36:53 pm »
Em hotep nefer, Anupu! :D

As Mesutet recommended, Klotz's text, which you can (legally) access here, is an excellent point of entry into the wonderment that is Amun(-Re) Theology. ;D It's dense but very comprehensive. Bear in mind that Klotz doesn't give all the Amun(-Re) hymns from Hebet Temple within, but rather only five specific hymns from Hypostyle M. Hebet Temple is a very religious content-dense structure, and the only religious structure of its kind that survives from the period of Persian rule during the Late Period, making it exceedingly important. Klotz goes over the content of the hymns themselves in that particular text, and juxtaposes them with both earlier and later elements of Amun Theology, to give us a clearer view of the "developmental timeline" of Amun Theology.

Klotz also covers Amun(-Re) statue-cult at Deir el-Medina and some aspects of Amun(-Re) Theology dating to Dynasty 20 in a separate article: “Between Heaven and Earth in Deir el-Medina – Stela MMA 21.2.6.”  Studien zur Altägyptischen Kultur, Bd. 34 (2006), pp. 269-283. You can look that one up on JSTOR, but if you don't have access to it through JSTOR, I can easily (and again, legally) email you a PDF of it in the event you want to read it. Just PM me your email addy. :)

There's also the "Hymns to Amen," an excerpt from Goodwin's article in TSBA Volume 2, pp. 353 - 359.

Jan Assmann covers Amun(-Re) quite a bit throughout his work, though specifically you'll want to read his text Egyptian Solar Religion in the New Kingdom: Re, Amun, and the Crisis of Polytheism. That one is most easily acquired in eBook form via Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Physical copies are scarce and expensive.

There are quite a few more resources and some discussion concerning Amun(-Re) listed here, though I'm not sure whether you have access to the private fora as a Beginner.

Several of the Amun(-Re) children and Beloveds-of (including Mesutet and myself) have had some more personal discussions of Him here, if you'd like to read through that. :) 

Otherwise, feel free to ask me anything you'd like about Him, here or privately, whatever you prefer, if none of the above particularly fulfills what you're looking for specifically. :)

Senebty!
Sedjfai
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:38:27 pm by Sedjfaiemitui »
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Sonebiyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 09:43:39 pm »
Em hotep nefer, Anupu! :D

As Mesutet recommended, Klotz's text, which you can (legally) access here, is an excellent point of entry into the wonderment that is Amun(-Re) Theology. ;D It's dense but very comprehensive. Bear in mind that Klotz doesn't give all the Amun(-Re) hymns from Hebet Temple within, but rather only five specific hymns from Hypostyle M. Hebet Temple is a very religious content-dense structure, and the only religious structure of its kind that survives from the period of Persian rule during the Late Period, making it exceedingly important. Klotz goes over the content of the hymns themselves in that particular text, and juxtaposes them with both earlier and later elements of Amun Theology, to give us a clearer view of the "developmental timeline" of Amun Theology.

Klotz also covers Amun(-Re) statue-cult at Deir el-Medina and some aspects of Amun(-Re) Theology dating to Dynasty 20 in a separate article: “Between Heaven and Earth in Deir el-Medina – Stela MMA 21.2.6.”  Studien zur Altägyptischen Kultur, Bd. 34 (2006), pp. 269-283. You can look that one up on JSTOR, but if you don't have access to it through JSTOR, I can easily (and again, legally) email you a PDF of it in the event you want to read it. Just PM me your email addy. :)

There's also the "Hymns to Amen," an excerpt from Goodwin's article in TSBA Volume 2, pp. 353 - 359.

Jan Assmann covers Amun(-Re) quite a bit throughout his work, though specifically you'll want to read his text Egyptian Solar Religion in the New Kingdom: Re, Amun, and the Crisis of Polytheism. That one is most easily acquired in eBook form via Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Physical copies are scarce and expensive.

There are quite a few more resources and some discussion concerning Amun(-Re) listed here, though I'm not sure whether you have access to the private fora as a Beginner.

Several of the Amun(-Re) children and Beloveds-of (including Mesutet and myself) have had some more personal discussions of Him here, if you'd like to read through that. :) 

Otherwise, feel free to ask me anything you'd like about Him, here or privately, whatever you prefer, if none of the above particularly fulfills what you're looking for specifically. :)

Senebty!
Sedjfai

Thank you

I will look into some of those sites!

A thing

I just did Senut and offered money and two stones for Him (its all I had) and after I finished Senut He mostly disappeared from my range of feelings (I sense Netjer through feelings)
It feels odd
Cause He is there
But not

I'll email you if I have further questions
"Yinepu heals me"
Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 10:19:23 pm »
Thank you

A thing

I just did Senut and offered money and two stones for Him (its all I had) and after I finished Senut He mostly disappeared from my range of feelings (I sense Netjer through feelings)
It feels odd
Cause He is there
But not

Em hotep nefer, Anupu!

I'm glad you found the response to some degree helpful. :)

I, too, mostly perceive the Netjeru through feelings -- I call them "tugs." :P That feeling of Amun-Re "withdrawing" to whatever degree is normal, especially when it follows senut. He is omnipresent and omniscient, and, while no one can know the mind of [God], I get the impression that Amun-Re isn't always focused on each and every one of us as individuals all the time -- versus senut and in the performance of ritual in general, when He is invoked. That is, when He is specifically called to participate as the object of cult in a ritual and receive offerings, receive the recitation of hymns and participate in the heka of them, receive the prayers of the people, etc. Shrine-time, senut-time, is our personal time with [God], when the presence of [God] becomes uniquely personal, and upon the conclusion of that time, it is no longer uniquely personal. That just seems to be the way of things. In case you're worried: No, it bears no reflection upon how the Gods love and care about us, or whether They accept our offerings or hear our prayers. :)

Senebty!
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Sonebiyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 10:22:27 pm »
Thank you

A thing

It feels odd
Cause He is there
But not

Em hotep nefer, Anupu!

I'm glad you found the response to some degree helpful. :)

I, too, mostly perceive the Netjeru through feelings -- I call them "tugs." :P That feeling of Amun-Re "withdrawing" to whatever degree is normal, especially when it follows senut. He is omnipresent and omniscient, and, while no one can know the mind of [God], I get the impression that Amun-Re isn't always focused on each and every one of us as individuals all the time -- versus senut and in the performance of ritual in general, when He is invoked. That is, when He is specifically called to participate as the object of cult in a ritual and receive offerings, receive the recitation of hymns and participate in the heka of them, receive the prayers of the people, etc. Shrine-time, senut-time, is our personal time with [God], when the presence of [God] becomes uniquely personal, and upon the conclusion of that time, it is no longer uniquely personal. That just seems to be the way of things. In case you're worried: No, it bears no reflection upon how the Gods love and care about us, or whether They accept our offerings or hear our prayers. :)

Senebty!
Sedjfai

Many thanks again

What are some offerings you find He likes?
"Yinepu heals me"
Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Idi-Noof

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 10:49:15 pm »
Oooh heka yes! Time to talk about Dad!
Hoteps Ya'll!

I'm a child of Amun-Ra and I can say he looves these offerings:
Bread. Best type: home made fresh egyptian style Aish Balaji made just for him. Second best: rolls, bagels, those sweet Hawaiian style rolls. Third best: regular ole sliced breads. White/wheat doesn't matter.
At one point all I had was a hot dog bun that was generic dollar store white type. It was all I had and eventually was my dinner. But because I took the time to share it with him, to offer what I could he loved it.
And if you are unable to eat bread for any reason I find that a votive offering of it works great. You can sculpt a Lil bread out of clay or draw it and present it.

He also is the "Lord of Myrrh " so myrrh oil, incense etc. Again you could even print/draw some and offer that.
Votive offerings are imo, one of the best parts of this religion. I wish I could offer say, a real gold brick! But obviously I cant, so I found a Lil box of assorted gems and "gold" in a kids toy section and got it. The box is shaped like a gold bar! And through Heka...TADA it IS a gold bar!
He likes cool water. I haven't really got much response on other drinks, unlike Set.
Him "pulling away" is pretty typical. At first it was confusing, and made me a bit sad. But it's because well...he is "hidden ". Also he's got stuff to do, isfet to slay, sun to drove etc. I just figure he's got a full scheduale, but he always has time for his kids/devotees and is great at picking up the old cell phone to chat when called and he is always around for dinner (senut?? Lol)

I can legit go FOREVER about this hahaha  :D

Offline Sonebiyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 11:04:55 pm »
Oooh heka yes! Time to talk about Dad!
Hoteps Ya'll!

I'm a child of Amun-Ra and I can say he looves these offerings:
Bread. Best type: home made fresh egyptian style Aish Balaji made just for him. Second best: rolls, bagels, those sweet Hawaiian style rolls. Third best: regular ole sliced breads. White/wheat doesn't matter.
At one point all I had was a hot dog bun that was generic dollar store white type. It was all I had and eventually was my dinner. But because I took the time to share it with him, to offer what I could he loved it.
And if you are unable to eat bread for any reason I find that a votive offering of it works great. You can sculpt a Lil bread out of clay or draw it and present it.

He also is the "Lord of Myrrh " so myrrh oil, incense etc. Again you could even print/draw some and offer that.
Votive offerings are imo, one of the best parts of this religion. I wish I could offer say, a real gold brick! But obviously I cant, so I found a Lil box of assorted gems and "gold" in a kids toy section and got it. The box is shaped like a gold bar! And through Heka...TADA it IS a gold bar!
He likes cool water. I haven't really got much response on other drinks, unlike Set.
Him "pulling away" is pretty typical. At first it was confusing, and made me a bit sad. But it's because well...he is "hidden ". Also he's got stuff to do, isfet to slay, sun to drove etc. I just figure he's got a full scheduale, but he always has time for his kids/devotees and is great at picking up the old cell phone to chat when called and he is always around for dinner (senut?? Lol)

I can legit go FOREVER about this hahaha  :D

you can keep going if you wish
I do wish to learn more haha

And I can feel that He is pleased with your enthusiasm haha
It's such a huge feeling of love towards you and I hope He will let you feel it!
"Yinepu heals me"
Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Idi-Noof

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 06:27:16 pm »
Ok some more stuff I thought of!
Dates and figs! Those are a huge offering staple round here! They always get a good reaction. I have yet to try date based pastries or like fig newton's but I have a feeling those would go over super well.
A few other Amun kids have mentioned this, but if you end up with an icon he likes to be kept covered/hidden. At first mine was in a wood box that I painted, then the statue wrapped in cloth. When I got my shrine cabinet (it's just a regular old put it together yourself walmart 2 level deal) he had the bottom of the top part all to himself plus a covering of cloth. Post rpd Seth, Sekhmet and the Herus moved on in. Amun wanted to have everyone covered too. Set was like "nooooo way". So in tge end Amun just is kept in his lovely star/celestial fabric cover until it's time for stuff. He also didn't like being in pictures until recently during the feast of the beautiful valley when he visited my Akhu shrine I was told I could finally get a pic of my main icon.
I have other statues, for travel or just cause they looked cool, those are fine for photos. But tge main one is just..more "him" and gets extra care.

Okie what else...
Maybe it'll be different for you but Amun isn't to big on talking through long complicated divinations. Especially if you already know tge answer. I get a lot of "idi, you know what you have to do why are you asking me with 13 caed/rune spreads? ?" If he is in a ok mood you will get fast, honest and kinda brutally true 3 card/rune etc readings.
He does better with yes/no stuff like one card/rune draws. I think it's because that's how in AE the Amun oracle always functioned, by yes/no answers, so he's just most comfortable with that.
He has a very loving presence  and feel.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline Sonebiyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 06:47:03 pm »
Ok some more stuff I thought of!
Dates and figs! Those are a huge offering staple round here! They always get a good reaction. I have yet to try date based pastries or like fig newton's but I have a feeling those would go over super well.
A few other Amun kids have mentioned this, but if you end up with an icon he likes to be kept covered/hidden. At first mine was in a wood box that I painted, then the statue wrapped in cloth. When I got my shrine cabinet (it's just a regular old put it together yourself walmart 2 level deal) he had the bottom of the top part all to himself plus a covering of cloth. Post rpd Seth, Sekhmet and the Herus moved on in. Amun wanted to have everyone covered too. Set was like "nooooo way". So in tge end Amun just is kept in his lovely star/celestial fabric cover until it's time for stuff. He also didn't like being in pictures until recently during the feast of the beautiful valley when he visited my Akhu shrine I was told I could finally get a pic of my main icon.
I have other statues, for travel or just cause they looked cool, those are fine for photos. But tge main one is just..more "him" and gets extra care.

Okie what else...
Maybe it'll be different for you but Amun isn't to big on talking through long complicated divinations. Especially if you already know tge answer. I get a lot of "idi, you know what you have to do why are you asking me with 13 caed/rune spreads? ?" If he is in a ok mood you will get fast, honest and kinda brutally true 3 card/rune etc readings.
He does better with yes/no stuff like one card/rune draws. I think it's because that's how in AE the Amun oracle always functioned, by yes/no answers, so he's just most comfortable with that.
He has a very loving presence  and feel.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

His presence is nice!

my shrine is already covered also
"Yinepu heals me"
Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 08:05:59 pm »
I second the concept that Amun-Ra likes sweet things.  Many of the Netjeru really like dates and figs.  I had no idea that He "canonically"liked sweet things but the irony is that He's been demanding sweet things as offering or payment.

A lot of the Gods like privacy.  One of my old shrines was a cubby built into the wall and I covered it with a pillow case as a covering and I believe the idols of the Gods in Tutankhamun's (AUS!) tomb were covered in cloth.  But of course, Amun and Amun-Ra like Their whole idol covered to where you can't see the face. 

I have found Amun-Ra to be very mysterious and working in subtle ways that add up over a long period of time.   
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 08:21:25 pm »
On the fig tip. Morningstar incense has a fig incense. My Dad loves it and I suspect Amun-Ra would as well.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 11:12:16 pm »
Oh the fig Morningstar is wonderful!  I use that for informal rites and lotus for formal rites to my Mother.
Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Fedw diviner

Offline Nebwyitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 10:43:48 am »
I'm coming from the just-Amun side of things-

I have the water vessel on His side of the shrine because that's pretty much His favourite. He's been okay with vodka (plain/clear.)

Early on, I offered Him some wind chimes which went over really, really well. Clear quartz is good, too. He's always making me think outside the box, since He isn't really into food that much.
"Two Lords (are) my Fathers"

Sat Heru-wer her Amun
Meryt Set, Wesir-Sokar, her Mut

Offline Meresinepu

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 01:31:36 am »
Em hotep Anupu,

Just want to add what's been said and this is my own thoughts ...and my own experience. 

There have been great answers and posts on this thread.   This is how I learn - by listening to others and doing my own research to find out what works best for Him and I.

I'm a beloved of Amun - he was the first one to step up as one of my beloveds,  Even before my RPD I knew Him  ...and all thru my life ..I have known his as "The Hidden One."   So even when he's out of sight ...he is never out of mind. 

I used to pretend that I was hidden from sight when I did not want people to see me ..I used to practice it out in public ...and put up an invisible wall around me ..and I noticed that the times I did this and thought of Amun ...it seemed that no one noticed me walking by or being present - even if I was standing in the room ..they did not "see" me."

He has many hidden talents that I have discovered along the way, and I look forward to learning more about Him and my other beloveds while I journey down the road.

Senebty
Meres

Rev. Meresinepu [She loves Yinepu] Weptesmerutef {Her Mission is his Love}
Sat Yinepu/Wepwawet, meryt Amun her Bast her Aset her HetHert

"Gone am I, caught by the Underworld, yet cleansed and alive in the beyond." (from an Old Kingdom funerary text)

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304033
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal