collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 59
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Knowing what the Gods like  (Read 5379 times)

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
Knowing what the Gods like
« on: June 03, 2016, 11:28:57 am »
Em hotep, all.

Something I've noticed a lot on the forums is people talking about what the Gods like and what they don't, and I was wondering how you guys know? Like, is it a feeling or a sign or something? And how do I separate my own feelings from what the Gods are telling me?

Thank you!
Biwi
“My two mothers set a good example (for me).”

Child of Sekhmet-Hethert and Serqet-Aset.
Beloved of Khonsu, Set, and Wepwawet-Yinepu.

Offline Ma'atnofret

• Rev. A'aqyt - Ordained Clergy
Re: Knowing what the Gods like
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 11:55:10 am »
 For me it took quite a lot of time to figure that out. It took a lot of getting to know myself and being able to experience/connect with the gods.
 It just takes time as far as I think about it. Time and practice. Eventually it does become easier to tell.  But most people make sure to differentiate their experiences by stating "UPG." Which is unverified personal gnosis.
A'Aqytsekhmet "Sekhmet's Servant"
Sat Sekhmet meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, Wenut, Sokar-Wesir, Heru-wer
Nekhen Iakhu Ihy Neferu Khau
Fedw Diviner  -  Shrine Image Service available  -  Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
 Patreon

Offline Siaheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 12:39:47 pm »
Hotep, Hand Maiden!

my UPG is what I feel. It's hard to explain. I have never heard "a voice" but I do get overwhelming feelings, almost to the point of influence. As if somehow I am subconsciously being told. Dad likes rum. If I offer some to him, he expects me to enjoy some as well, even though I am not a fan of rum myself. I get the feeling that it is his way of bonding with me. Crazy as it may sound. O.o

I hope this helped!

Senebty!!
"A smooth sea, never a captain made" -Unknown

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 12:44:35 pm »
Thank you both so much!

I've only just started all this, so I probably just need to give myself time and find out how to understand the Gods in my own way.

Senebty!
Biwi

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 01:45:51 pm »
Yep, for me as well, most of that is UPG, as A'aqyt said!

It's also worth noting that people often experience different versions of the same gods. The way Serqet appears to and interacts with me may not be the same way She appears to and interacts with you, and She may ask very different things of each of us. We've had a lot of talks in the House about whether there are actually multiple "versions" of the same deity or whether they're just representing themselves differently for different people (or both), but the main thing we can say for sure is that the Netjeru are very multi-faceted and complex. Other people's experiences definitely do not invalidate yours!
- Ha'aut

"Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

Offline Senui-Iry-I

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 02:03:49 pm »
I agree with what the others have said, it takes some time to learn in your own way.
For me I get feelings and images of their faces (either happy, indifferent, or not so happy lol) and sometimes their "voice" in my mind.

I remember I offered Yinepu strawberries once and I got a vision of his face like  :-\ haha
Senui-iryi  (Iryi)
Sat Sobek-Ra her Hethert-Sekhmet,
Meryt Set her Yinepu-Wepwawet her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
𓆋 𓁥  𓁣 𓁢 𓋔
Sau apprentice

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 02:07:35 pm »
I have to concur with everyone else, relax and enjoy your discovery.  Remember to be patient and try not to rush things.
Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Fedw diviner

Offline Udjariyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 02:14:52 pm »
I agree it does take time to learn, and be able to distinguish, the difference, and trust your intuition. I know some people use a pendulum/ other divination and ask if they like the offerings. Nowadays I mostly rely on my intuition though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tumblr and Wordpress
Daughter of Yinepu-Wepwawet
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert and Djehuty
Yinepu proceeds to(ward) me. Self care Yinepu Keeper

Offline ubenetsenu

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 02:48:50 pm »
also, sometimes separating what you like from what the gods like isn't the point -- there are definitely things that my gods seem to like receiving from me specifically because part of Their enjoyment is my enjoyment.
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset
𓁴𓁳
tarot and heka by request

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 02:55:24 pm »
Em hotep TheHandMaiden

The above posters have summarized it pretty well.   

We do know that like other cultures, Ancient Egyptians offered what they had to the Gods.  Common, standard offerings were bread, beer, and onions but they offered other things to the Gods as well. 

You'll learn to listen for the Gods and Their directions for offerings as time goes by.  You may get stronger feelings that you can't explain or a voice telling you to offer something in particular or saying they like something.  You could do divination to see if a God really is asking you for something.
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 03:40:22 pm »
Em hotep!

Another standard offering in antiquity was water. When you're in the desert, cool, potable water can be better than the finest luxury. If you want to offer to a specific deity and want to go outside of the standards, the Wepwawet wiki is a great source and many of the pages include offerings modern devotees have used.

The practice of offerings will start giving some ideas of what works and what does not. If you're not sure you can use divination to confirm.

I remember I offered Yinepu strawberries once and I got a vision of his face like  :-\ haha

OMG! I once offered strawberries to Dad and I got a strong sense of "That's nice... you don't need to offer these to Me again." (But I bet He'd take a strawberry liqueur.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 04:11:28 pm »
Em hotep!

Another standard offering in antiquity was water. When you're in the desert, cool, potable water can be better than the finest luxury. If you want to offer to a specific deity and want to go outside of the standards, the Wepwawet wiki is a great source and many of the pages include offerings modern devotees have used.

Oh, wow, I didn't know about that Wiki! Thank you so much, it'll help a lot.

(On another note, according to the wiki, some of Sekhmet's favorite things are pomegranates, tiger's eye, and amber incense. We share a lot of favorites (I feel so connected to Her), and I'm definitely gonna pick up some dark chocolate covered pomegranate seeds for Her!)
Biwi

Offline Senui-Iry-I

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 10:14:13 pm »

OMG! I once offered strawberries to Dad and I got a strong sense of "That's nice... you don't need to offer these to Me again." (But I bet He'd take a strawberry liqueur.
xD
I bet he would like the liquer. Yinepu liked strawberry shortcake I offered once, but not the actual fruit. I get the feeling that perhaps the jackals don't care much for fresh fruit on its own haha
At least that's my upg :D
Senui-iryi  (Iryi)
Sat Sobek-Ra her Hethert-Sekhmet,
Meryt Set her Yinepu-Wepwawet her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
𓆋 𓁥  𓁣 𓁢 𓋔
Sau apprentice

Offline Sonebiyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 10:55:25 pm »
I get feelings from Them only so far
"Yinepu heals me" - Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet Beloved of Amun-Ra, Heru-Wer and Sokar-Wesir

Sau apprentice

Offline Tasedjebbast

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 08:07:49 am »
Personally, I think it's impossible to tell the difference between what comes from a God and what comes from me. 

But like Ubenet, I think it probably doesn't matter terribly much. If the gods are real and They love us, then it's reasonable to assume They enjoy sharing the things that make us happy.

Keeping in mind respect for cultural taboos of course.  Don't share your sushi with Wesir.  Don't share your half rack of spare ribs with Aset.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 08:46:06 am by Taji »
Tasedjeb,
Daughter of Bast-Mut & Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, and Aset

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3161
  • stats Total Posts: 295196
  • stats Total Topics: 20154
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything