collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of June 14, 2021 = $1,847.64 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 45
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Need Offering Help  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
Need Offering Help
« on: June 05, 2016, 10:04:33 pm »
Em hotep.

So, I decided to offer curry and naan bread to Sekhmet tonight during dinner, but they're majorly triggering my anorexia and sensory issues. I absolutely cannot finish these.

How can I dispose of them respectfully?
Biwi
“My two mothers set a good example (for me).”

Child of Sekhmet-Hethert and Serqet-Aset.
Beloved of Khonsu, Set, and Wepwawet-Yinepu.

Offline Senui-Iry-I

• Shemsu
Re: Need Offering Help
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 10:35:00 pm »
Do you live with anyone else who would want the food? If not you can put it in the fridge and see if you'd like it later. If you just can't have it, you could toss it. If it's causing problems for you, I think the Netjeru will understand if you have to get rid of it.
The Netjeru are extremely understanding and I'm sure they wouldn't be angry at you for doing what you need to do to take care of yourself.

I've had to throw out some food before because I just couldn't have it (I have sensory issues too) and I didn't receive any negativity from the gods.
Senui-iryi  (Iryi)
Sat Sobek-Ra her Hethert-Sekhmet,
Meryt Set her Yinepu-Wepwawet her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
𓆋 𓁥  𓁣 𓁢 𓋔
Sau apprentice

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 10:49:47 pm »
Do you live with anyone else who would want the food? If not you can put it in the fridge and see if you'd like it later. If you just can't have it, you could toss it. If it's causing problems for you, I think the Netjeru will understand if you have to get rid of it.
The Netjeru are extremely understanding and I'm sure they wouldn't be angry at you for doing what you need to do to take care of yourself.

I've had to throw out some food before because I just couldn't have it (I have sensory issues too) and I didn't receive any negativity from the gods.

Thank you! I ended up putting it in a baggie (to keep it from the rest of the trash) and throwing it away.

I'll admit that I used my tarot deck to see if Sekhmet was okay with how I disposed of it and I got a very reassuring card, so I'm secure in my decision.
Biwi

Offline Shuwyt

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 10:53:55 pm »

^--- This. There's really not a lot of food I can eat to begin with because mine are so bad, and sometimes even what I can, I can't. If it was something safe for cats/dogs, I used to put it down for them, but since I'm no longer living in a cat lady house (the cat I still have  is only very rarely interested in people food) and my dog is allergic to grain/corn/etc, that's not as much of an option now, so if my boyfriend doesn't want it, tossing it is the only thing I can do if it's a sensory issue - if it's just a case of, "Made too much, going in the fridge," I'll usually eat it later (leftovers are a pretty significant part of my diet largely because not having to try and figure out a different food for every meal makes things easier on me), but once it's triggered me for any reason - whether it's the taste not being right or the texture being off - I won't be able to finish it, and it'll just sit in there and go bad anyway.

Sometimes if I'm not sure whether or not I can eat something, I won't offer it until I've tried it. Which probably isn't the "proper" way to do it, but at least then I don't feel like I'm throwing Their dinner away, too. Otherwise, it just goes under, "It's the thought that counts." (Though in this case, I'm talking about things sharing like breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks with Them. If I'm making a specific offering specifically for Them, it's usually either something I'm sure about, or I do a smaller, more symbolic portion that I know I can dispose of by giving to an animal/plant/the ground without being asteful.)
Shuwytyinepu (Yinepu's Shadow)
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet, meryt Sokar-Wesir her Ra
Curiosity killed the - ooh! What's that?

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 11:59:10 pm »
Em hotep,

If you can't save the food or give it to someone else, you could toss it piece by piece into the garbage disposal of your sink.  If you have the means to, you could burn it to the Gods. 
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Rayashi

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 12:05:59 am »
I'll admit that I used my tarot deck to see if Sekhmet was okay with how I disposed of it and I got a very reassuring card, so I'm secure in my decision.

This is what I do if I'm unsure.  I either use my Morgan's Tarot deck or my fedw sticks.
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Offline Nimaatitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 01:51:33 am »
If you have plants you could crunch it up and give it to them. The food that I put on my Akhu altar is always put in my flower bed when I get the ok to remove it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Senebty,
Nima'at
Self-Care Mut Advocate

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 07:40:58 am »
Em hotep,

If you can't save the food or give it to someone else, you could toss it piece by piece into the garbage disposal of your sink.  If you have the means to, you could burn it to the Gods. 

I don't have a garbage disposal, and I don't think burning curry would end particularly well. Usually I'd just save it, but my sensory issues won't go away with time and trying to eat it later would just end the same way.

If you have plants you could crunch it up and give it to them. The food that I put on my Akhu altar is always put in my flower bed when I get the ok to remove it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All of my plants are things like succulents! Far too sensitive for anything except water (and some paprika to keep my cat away). I'd just put it outside, but my neighbor's cat wanders into our yard a lot and I don't want her getting sick from eating something she can't digest.
Biwi

Offline Kheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 11:57:58 am »
If you get an A-OK from Sekhmet you can bury it. If it's something I can not eat, Djehuty likes me to bury it under the oak tree in our yard. If you have a tree nearby try burying it there. I'm sure the tree would appreciate the boost. :)
Senebty
Kheruneferdjehuty
"Djehuty's Voice is Beautiful"
Sa Djehuty
Mery Sekhmet-Hethert, Aset-Serqet , Heqet, Bast, Set,  her Sokar

Offline Meresinepu

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 12:01:54 am »
Hotep

Just adding to what’s been said.

You can also do the following with your food:

If I offer something that I can’t eat or drink (I can’t drink alcohol so I let it dissolve on its own) I will either offer it to someone else if possible (I live alone) or if I can I will put it outside underneath a tree or large bush and let the animals eat it (as long as it is not toxic to any of them).

I don’t waste anything and I always make sure I offer to the gods for any food I prepare, or set out for a specific purpose (like asking for a particular God/Goddess’ help). 

I never throw it away unless it has taken a turn for the worse and would make me or anyone else that ate it sick (that hasn’t happened yet, knock on wood).

For offerings to my akhu and the dead, I never ever eat those myself or give them to anyone else to eat (human).  I will take the food out and grind it up as well and put it on the tree or in the water if that is the only place I have to dispose of it. 

Thank you for letting me put my two cents in. 

Senebty
Meres
Rev. Meresinepu [She loves Yinepu] Weptesmerutef {Her Mission is his Love}
Sat Yinepu/Wepwawet, meryt Amun her Bast her Aset her HetHert

"Gone am I, caught by the Underworld, yet cleansed and alive in the beyond." (from an Old Kingdom funerary text)

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3423
  • stats Total Posts: 302195
  • stats Total Topics: 20857
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 123
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal