collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 69
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: BES  (Read 6619 times)

BES
« on: June 08, 2016, 11:29:00 pm »
Em Hotep all,

So lately Bes has been popping up to say hi at the most unlikely times (especially when I'm driving and all the license plates will start with BES).

Are there any devotees around who can help me with out with the best way to get to know Him?

Senebty and thanks,
Amaliah

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: BES
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 11:38:01 pm »
Em Hotep, Amaliah!

https://henadology.wordpress.com/theology/netjeru/bes/

The henadology website is a good source of info.  It's fascinating you should ask this, because Bes turned up in my dreams last night.  And I read there, he's "an intimate protector throughout life, warding off demons of disease and venomous animals. He is also a God of music, of dancing and of good cheer, especially in association with the Goddess Hathor and her son Ihy. Hathor’s temple at Dendara hosted an annual festival for Bes, and reliefs depict him playing music and dancing for Hathor, having accompanied her on her return from Ta-Sety (a term for Nubia or for a mythical place to the south of Egypt). Bes has the role, in particular, of appeasing Hathor in her wrathful aspect."

Hmmmmm, :)

Senebty!
Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 08:12:31 am »
Em hotep nefer, Amaliah! :D

I don't think there's any one, "best" way to get to know any deity. For some (like me), it's through scholarship and art. For others, it might be through dance or music, or whatever their personal passions and pursuits are. The most essential way to start, though, is to give offerings and try praying to the deity, and make as much of a habit out of it as you're able. Consistent offerings and prayer are the way we establish and sustain relationships with Divinities, after all. :)

As Neheh mentioned, the Netjeru frequently reach out to us through, or simply appear in, our dreams. If you make offering and prayer to Him, you may find that He will reach out to you more distinctly in a dream or several. I've had that happen with a number of Netjeru, myself, most especially my "First Father" Set, but I've also had a couple dream-visits from Sobek and Herishef over the years. Giving offerings and prayer expedites this process, I find, and dreams can be a good way to better understand the Netjer(et) in question. :)

To note, we have a couple Bes children and Beloveds-of in the House. Bestekeni immediately comes to mind -- you might try shooting her a message. :) I believe another of our Shemsu, Ankhi, is a Beloved of Bes, or at least maintains a consistent non-"RPD lineup" worship-relationship with Him. If memory serves, I don't believe we've had any Shemsu or Divined Remetj within the last year who were revealed to have Bes as a Parent or Beloved. He is known to "step forward" in the Rite of Parent Divination, but not all that often. :P

I hope this helps somewhat!

Senebty! :D
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 11:28:48 am »
Em Hotep,

AFAIK, Tek is the only Child of Bes that has been divined.

But Sedjfai is correct that a good way to start developing the relationship with Bes is to provide some offerings and prayers. Even if those prayers are to say "Thanks for your presence", I'm sure that the relationship will develop as quickly or as slowly as you want to take it. Much like human or Seen World relationships, they take timed effort to develop. :D

Senebty!
~Rev. Mesetibes
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 01:24:38 am »
Thanks for your help all. Much appreciated.

Senebty,
Amaliah

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 02:03:36 am »
Hi!  I'm Tekeni, the only child of Bes that's been divined so far ;)

My Father is fairly straightforward.  Talk to him and make offerings in earnest.  Be willing to listen carefully.  He doesn't repeat himself.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 02:04:59 am »
Hi Tekeni,

Thanks for the advice :)

He's lately taken to appearing with Djehuty which is...... interesting.

Senebty,
Amaliah

Offline Cib

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 07:20:13 pm »
Em Hotep!
I collected all my research/thoughts on Bes here if you're interested. I'm not divined as anything, but I've had a relationship with him for about 5 years and think he's the bee's knees. :)
(as a side note to anyone and everyone, if there's anything inaccurate in the history-focused part of that post please let me know, I don't want to spread bad info, my resources were all JSTOR and Wilkinson, but you never know.)

Senebty
Cib

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 12:18:58 pm »
Em Hotep!
I collected all my research/thoughts on Bes here if you're interested. I'm not divined as anything, but I've had a relationship with him for about 5 years and think he's the bee's knees. :)
(as a side note to anyone and everyone, if there's anything inaccurate in the history-focused part of that post please let me know, I don't want to spread bad info, my resources were all JSTOR and Wilkinson, but you never know.)

Senebty
Cib

I don't like throwing my credentials around, but I will right now to say your work is spot-on. 
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Cib

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 04:03:53 pm »
I don't like throwing my credentials around, but I will right now to say your work is spot-on.

Oh my gosh, that's a huge relief; you have no idea how happy I am to hear that :D Thank you for looking it over and letting me know!

Offline Sat_Maat

• Remetj
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 05:01:11 am »
I am with Sedjfaiemitui basically :) Art and research but also rituals are my way to interact with deities and getting to know them. Sometimes deities appear to me but don't stay very long, which might sometimes be my own fault because I drop the practise around them out of lack of time. I think if deities appear to you it is a chance you are given to get in touch with them and it's up to you what you make out of it.

I've painted a Bes papyrus to put it on my wall in the hall way as some sort of guardian and I made a little fayence-ish hedgehog for him. I don't have any particular practise now around him but I do feel like I have a connection to him.

Offline Sarytsenuwi

• Rev Kaitlyn, Ordained Clergy - Sema Kau Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 10:56:37 am »

If Tek says you're spot on about Bes, you're spot on about Bes. ;) Awesome work.

I will just add that I really appreciated your pulling all of that information together, and enjoyed your concise, informative writing style. Thank you for sharing!

I've painted a Bes papyrus to put it on my wall in the hall way as some sort of guardian and I made a little fayence-ish hedgehog for him. I don't have any particular practise now around him but I do feel like I have a connection to him.

I would love to see this papyrus, if it is not a private thing that shouldn't be shared. Is it available to view anywhere at the moment?
Rev. Sarytsenuwi
(Standardbearer of my Two | Porta-estandarte de meus Dois)
Sat Set her Bast | Meryt Heru-wer, Hethert-Nut, her Heqat
W'ab Nekhen Medetsen net Nekh | Fedw for Set and Bast

Offline Sat_Maat

• Remetj
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 03:10:53 am »
I would love to see this papyrus, if it is not a private thing that shouldn't be shared. Is it available to view anywhere at the moment?

Sure, I don't mind sharing it at all :)

I've made a blog post about painting it but it's in german unfortunately, so I can't post it here. But here is the picture.
Bes papyrus

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 07:50:21 am »
Very nice painting, Sat_Maat!

Senebty,
Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Shefytbast

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 03:48:29 pm »
From Cib's site:

"Bes also dances for children in their beds, protecting and entertaining them at the same time, so if a baby is staring at nothing and laughing, then Bes might be there dancing."

This is a lovely image. ^_^

Shefyt
Shefytbast | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2862
  • stats Total Posts: 282611
  • stats Total Topics: 19053
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 107
  • stats Most Online: 217