collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 43
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Newbie altar. Any advice?  (Read 4911 times)

Offline Anippe811

• Remetj
Newbie altar. Any advice?
« on: June 18, 2016, 03:28:00 pm »
Hello,

I can't figure out how to attach a picture so you will have to bear with me while I describe my new altar. Sorry.

It has a statue of Sekhmet (who suddenly objected to being kept in a box), incense sticks, black tourmaline and carnelian, a white rose token for a loved one who passed away and a bottle of Cacharel Amor Amor perfume, which is sprayed on the statues feet every morning when i say good morning. I recently added a little trinket made by a little boy, and some yankee childs wish wax as a thank you for helping me protect said child recently. (Not my child).

So far, those are sitting on my bedside table, which i do not use for anything else apart from a side light, which i rarely turn on. There is a window nearby, so the altar gets sunlight or moonlight.

Is there any offering I could add to this? And until I start the beginners course, is saying good morning, good night and offering thanks in between a good start? (I would not want to offend Her).

I feel far more is required of me, but I am not sure what exactly. I have acquired and wear a Sekhmet amulet round my neck, so I may offer thanks throughout the day when I am away from the altar.

Any advice appreciated.

Offline FORMER MEMBER

Re: Newbie altar. Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 05:13:11 pm »
Em hotep, friend! Welcome to the House of Netjer!

I think that sounds like an absolutely beautiful altar, and very similar to what mine was like prior to the start of the beginners' class. :) And I think that saying good morning and good night to Sekhmet or any other Name you feel drawn to is lovely.

During the beginners' class (I've just wrapped it up), we're asked to try and keep our altars neutral, in order to keep ourselves open to any and all Names as might come to us (rather than us fixating on one or two and so potentially missing the forest for the trees). In my experience, however, Names do come forward during the class, and if they have something they want us to do or offer, they usually let us know.

Therefore, my advice is to relax. Enjoy where you are and enjoy the beginning of a new part of the journey. Perhaps ask Sekhmet if there's anything else she'd like of you. Ask Netjer Itself if there's more. :) Enjoy your shrine as it is now and enjoy the thought of what it will be in the future (because shrines, at least for me, tend to evolve--sometimes consciously, sometimes not).

I hope this helps!

As for posting pictures, I don't think we can upload them directly to the forums (since not all members have good internet access); rather, we're asked to host our photos on another site (i.e. photobucket or facebook or deviantART or wherever) and post a link. :)

All the best!
Senebty and shalom,
Dylan.
Removed at request of former member.

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 07:51:41 pm »
Hotep

I think your altar sounds nice and it's great that you are rubbing perfume on Sekhmet's statue. 

It is generally advocated you keep your shrine free from any one specific Netjer but since Sekhmet demanded that you bring Her statue out, you really can't argue with that.  I think your daily practice is great.

If you'd like to see more in the ways of offering to Sekhmet or other Netjeru, you should head over to Wepwawet Wiki. 
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 08:57:16 pm »
Em Hotep and Welcome,

The Names are good at letting us known if and when They are displeased with anything. I have found that if you plan to make an offering, one that can be shared between the two of you is always a good start. If it is a food offering, make sure it is something you can eat too. Foods that heal would also be appropriate given Her associations with healing energies.

Perfume sounds like a lovely thing to give to her, even more so if it might have spice notes. There is a wepwa-wiki that has a section on offerings that members have given to Her with good reception.

And as an FYI, the Names won't smith you if you offer something that They don't like. Much like how we would make an offering or gesture towards someone we respect, a simple, but firm, negative or no will be given. The only thing I might absolutely stay away from offering Her is blood. Doing blood donation, on the other hand, many members have done in the past to not only help their local Red Cross blood supply, but to help those who are in medical need of a transfusion.

Just some thoughts, and it sounds like you have established a good practice by saying Good Morning, Good Night and offering thanks.

Senebty!
~Rev. Mesetibes
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 08:20:04 am »
Em hotep Anippe!

Please don't feel you have to remove Sekhmet from the shrine, that you have to stop worshipping her, or that you have to undergo the Beginners Class. None of these things are necessary, even if you choose to take the Class.

In my case and the cases of at least one other (Hemet -aus- was asked this recently), we were told it is acceptable to leave up previous shrines during the Class. However, we should make a separate shrine for Senut that is not focused on any one Name.

While it is generally advised not to focus on any one Name during the Beginners Class, it's not required and no one will force you to do it (if you decide to take the Class). This is because it allows any and all Names to come forward to meet you or reveal themselves to you. (Sort of like in a Mystery tradition, during initiation you are supposed to start off clean and as spiritually neutral as possible.) However, in my experience having the separated shrine for Senut and one for Sekhmet (and Set) allowed me to continue to practice as I was introduced to new or new-to-do me Names. It was very helpful when I was looking to become Kemetic Orthodox.

Please do not feel you have to take the Beginners Class or become Kemetic Orthodox; that is all your choice and your decision. The House isn't the only Kemetic organization or belief, but we are a bunch of generally nice people.

About your current altar, it sounds fantastic. You'll notice here, shrine is used more often to describe one's place of worship for the Names/Netjeru. This is because a shrine is a permanent "fixture", while an altar is generally a temporary "fixture". But in other paradigms it is not a distinction made.

Senebty
Ra'awy

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

(They/them)

Sa Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), mery Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Heru-wer, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner for Serqet-Aset and Nehmet-Awai

Offline Anippe811

• Remetj
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 02:17:31 pm »
Thank you all for your inputs, I appreciate your views and help.

I have never had an altar in my house previously, so this is all new. I worried that Sekhmet is generally regarded as some kind of badass goddess that you shouldn't mess with, so I want to avoid offending Her.

With regards to the course, and my new path, it is of course related to her appearance, but not only. I came across the beginners course application whilst researching her, but I only applied as it seemed to be the path I had been looking for but never quite found before, if that makes sense. So, yes, it would help me learn about Her more, and how to worship Her in an appropriate manner, but I need to follow this path for myself too.

thanks again to all.

A.

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 02:37:39 pm »
Hotep:

I don't think of Sekhmet as a "bad ass" so much as a tough love kind of goddess.  She loves just as much as any goddess.  She can destroy, yes, but she is also known as a powerful healer as well.  Her priests were healer and served her through healing.  She is also a curer of plagues as well as bringer  There are many wonderful places to learn more about her, here is one of them.  This link holds much information on all the names as well.

https://henadology.wordpress.com/theology/netjeru/sekhmet/
Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Fedw diviner

Offline FORMER MEMBER

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 07:56:07 pm »
(I just wanted to jump in an apologize for "filling in the blanks" while reading your original post, Anippe--I took "until I start the beginners course" to mean that you were registered and all that... I'm very sorry!)

Senebty and shalom,
Dylan.
Removed at request of former member.

Offline Anippe811

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 12:58:16 pm »
I have been reading up on the many names of Sekhmet, and have admired her dual nature for a very long time. I will go look at that link you have suggested though,as my latest hobby seems to have turned into a collecting as many of Her names as I can find.

And, the good news of the day, I got my email for the next beginners course! :)

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 01:08:35 pm »
YAY Nekhtet!
Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Fedw diviner

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 04:33:00 pm »
Em Hotep Anippe811!

Nekhtet for the email for the next Beginner's Class! I hope you find it informative and engaging.

There are many people here who adore and give praise to Sekhmet, as Her children, as Her Beloved, or as Her devoted Fan Club. ;) She can be a bad-ass, yes, but Temseni makes a good point about her being a powerful healer as well. Given my own medical experiences, sometimes healing requires a bit of hurt in order to help it along. Don't go out of your way to offend Her, but don't worry about it so much if you accidentally do. She'll sternly remind you of things, but She does love Her children and devotees very powerfully.

Senebty!
~Rev. Mesetibes
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304033
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9