collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 58
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Lions  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Taemwdjsi

• Remetj
Lions
« on: June 22, 2016, 02:24:28 pm »
SO recently i've been approached by Djeuty, which is super cool and i can't wait to work with him.  But i've been feeling a pull to a lion deity.  Not sure if it Sekhmet or who else i t could be, i've been getting pulls from Ma'ahes but theres not a whole lot of info on him. Can anyone help me out?

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
Re: Lions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 04:59:26 pm »
Em hotep nefer, Taemwdjsi! :D

Djehuty can appear as a lion, whether "as Himself," or in the unities He forms with Khonsu, Anhur, Shu, and Anhur-Shu. His connection to Anhur-Shu in both Nubian and Egyptian religion allowed Him to have epithets calling Him a lion, and for Him to have occasion to be depicted as a leonine deity. (Boylan, Thoth: The Hermes of Egypt, 165; De Wit, Le Rôle et le Sens du Lion dans l'Egypte Ancienne, 275) Perhaps Djehuty is reaching out to you through that particular series of forms and functions.

As for information on Ma'ahes, Edward Butler wrote a short entry on Him for his Egyptian theological encyclopaedia. De Wit's text cited above is your best, most comprehensive bet -- and for more leonine deities than Ma'ahes only -- though bear in mind that De Wit's text is in French, and I don't believe there are any English translations of it. If you get hold of a copy, aren't good with French, and need sections of the text translated, just send me screencaps of the sections you need translated and I'll be happy to translate them for you. :)

It's not a lot, I know, but it's a start. :)

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 05:07:24 pm »
Addendum: Naisenu did some translating from various sections of the first seven volumes of Leitz's LAGG for many Netjeru, including Ma'ahes. :)
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Taqerisenu

• Devotional Writing
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 09:58:30 pm »
There are also forms of Heru that have leonine aspects, such as Heru em akhet, who appears as the Sphinx, or Heru of Behdet, who can appear as a lion, or a falcon-headed lion. I believe that Bes also has a strong association with lions.

As for goddesses, you've already mentioned Sekhmet. There are also Tefnut, Bast (who is associated with lions, as well as cats), and Mut (who has associations with both vultures and lions).
Taqerisenu
("The Attendant of Two," or "The One That Attends to Two")

Sat Heru-wer her Bast her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS!)
Meryt Ra, Set, her Nebthet-Nit-Seshat.

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 02:52:47 am »
Honestly, there are so many Netjeru who can take leonine form that it's hard to say without more details! I keep a personal document of animal associations I've found over the course of my research, and the lions section is one of the biggest. Here's some info from those lists--and I'm sure there are many names I am missing.

Netjeru who appear in leonine form (either as full lions/lionesses or as lion-headed): Ahat, Aker, Amun, Amun-Ra, Apedemak, Bast, Behdety, Dedun, Heru-Behdety, Heru-sematawy, Hethert, Ihy, Kherty, Ma'ahes, Ma'at, Mafdet, Mehyt, Menhit, Meretseger, Mestjet, Min, Mut, Nefertem, Nekhbet, Nut, Pakhet, Ra-Heruakhety, Renenutet, Repyt, Ruty, Satet, Sekhmet, Serqet, Shesmetet, Shesmu, Shu, Sia, Tayet, Tefnut, Wadjet, Wekh, Wenut, Yinepu

Netjeru with leonine epithets: Amun, Amun-Ra, Anhur, Apedemak, Aset, Banebdjedet, Bast, Behdety, Heru-Behdety, Hethert, Iryhemesnefer, Ma'ahes, Mehyt, Menhit, Merwer, Meskhenet, Min, Montu-Ra, Mut, Pakhet, Ptah, Ra, Ra-Heruakhety, Sekhmet, Shesmu, Wesir, Yinepu

It looks like Sedjfai has given you some great Djehuty-as-lion resources, as well. Definitely don't limit yourself to just Sekhmet or Ma'ahes; there are lots of lion deities out there!
- Ha'aut

"Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3161
  • stats Total Posts: 295196
  • stats Total Topics: 20154
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything