Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 49
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 9
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Unique Ways to volunteer in your community  (Read 4890 times)

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
Unique Ways to volunteer in your community
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:19:36 pm »
Em Hotep everyone!

I thought to start a discussion on some of the unique ways we do service and volunteer in our community.

Myself? This year I will be dressing as The Baroness for The Finest G.I. Joe Costume Club for the 2017 edition of the Girls of the Finest calendar. All monies that we get from this project will be going towards a Veterans organization (still waiting on confirmation) that pairs service dogs with vets who need them.

What about you? What are some of the unique ways you do service?

Senebty!
~Rev. Mesetibes
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Khenneferitw

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Unique Ways to volunteer in your community
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 09:17:18 am »
I foster with a small animal rescue. We're beyond capacity right now: we took in a hoard and had hundreds of pregnant rats on our hands. They're all sweet things - I brought home three of the mommas and all of them have given birth to around twelve apiece.

One has been transfered to another foster home, so I now have my three adults, two nursing moms, and 25 babies in my room. They are just coming to the "fun" age. I love them so much. They're a lot of work though. Hopefully we find more foster and adoptive homes soon.
Khenne | they/them
Child of Ptah-Sokar, Wepwawet, & (Hekatawy-Alexandros)|
Beloved of Bast and Sekhmet
Fedw diviner | Sau apprentice | Boston Fellowship Coordinator

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 09:48:34 am »
I don't know how unique it is but I used to regularly pick up trash at and around the cemetery in my neighborhood. There are caretakers but at the time they seemed only to do the necessary bare minimum required.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 10:14:39 am »
Em Hotep Zat,

Care for cemeteries and our akhu is also important work as well.

Senebty!
~Rev. Mesetibes
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 10:25:33 am »
I volunteer at Relay for Life for the American Cancer Society.

Sandra
Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Self-Care Aset Advocate, Self-Care Yinepu Keeper

Offline Taqerisenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 01:07:56 pm »
My career field is museums, so not only do I work in two local ones, I also volunteer in a third. I help with their large community special events and exhibit openings, and I will also be helping out with their summer camp, which, for that week, is doing fabric-arts related activities. It's a museum I love because of how integrated it is into the local community, and how symbiotic its relationship to other neighborhood businesses and community groups is.

In addition to that, I also just started to volunteer with a local LGBTQ organization, that runs various health and whole person-focused wellness initiatives (they do everything from free STD and health screenings, to discussion forums, to improv and writing workshops). I'll be helping out with their special events, and will begin working in their resource library in the late summer or early fall.
Taqerisenu
("The Attendant of Two," or "The One That Attends to Two")

Sat Heru-wer her Bast her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS!)
Meryt Ra, Set, her Nebthet-Nit-Seshat.

Offline Sobeqsenu

• Rev. Sobeq - Ordained Clergy - Fundraising Bak
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 02:25:30 pm »
I admit I have been pretty much focused on my own needs while working on my degree, but in the past I have worked with Habitat for Humanity to help restore a house that had been destroyed in Hurricane Sandy. I've also worked with a community service group to run food and book drives.

I also regularly donate my used clothing to reputable charities when I have outgrown or grown tired of it.
Rev. Sobeqsenu
Child of Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu, & Nebt-het
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen | Heri-sesheta Wepwawet

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 04:29:57 pm »
I've volunteered with The People's Music School doing things like collecting and tallying fundraiser money, handing out programs, carrying music stands, chaperoning kids, and green room-stage liaising.
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 05:08:40 pm »
I help foster dogs from local animal shelters until they find permanent homes. 
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Senui-Iry-I

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 05:59:23 pm »
I don't know how unique it is but I used to regularly pick up trash at and around the cemetery in my neighborhood. There are caretakers but at the time they seemed only to do the necessary bare minimum required.
I do this too for the cemeteries that don't get much attention. Setting stones that have toppled over upright, trimming the weeds away from the stones so they can be read, etc.

I haven't started it yet, but soon I'm going to start knitting blankets to donate to homeless shelters. I've recently received a LOT of yarn from people cleaning out their stashes so I have more than enough to make a good many blankets.
Senui-iryi  (Iryi)
Sat Sobek-Ra her Hethert-Sekhmet,
Meryt Set her Yinepu-Wepwawet her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
𓆋 𓁥  𓁣 𓁢 𓋔

Offline SobekRahotepi

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 08:52:19 pm »
I work at a reptile rescue. I work with all kinds of reptiles, and hope to one day be trained in dealing with alligators and crocodiles and caimans. But for now I am very happy working with all the lizards and turtles/tortoises and snakes.
Sat Sobek-Ra | Meryt Yinepu-Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Aset-Serqet, her Djehuty

Facebook

Offline Ematsen

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 02:01:23 pm »
Today is my day for old threads, it seems! :D

I have started to help an elderly neighbor who cannot drive. We go out and do her shopping, appointments, whatever she needs to just get out for awhile. It's much more fun for her than having to take Uber, and she's a lot of fun to talk to! And with someone close enough that I can drive down there in less than a minute, she can live pretty independently still.

I also volunteer with the Pride Center on my college campus, helping with tabling, booths, and doing presentations for classes about LGBT issues and my own story. :)
Senuwiematsen - My Two, In Their Moment.

Sat Sekhmet-Mut her Set.
Meryt Wepwawet-Yinepu, Aset-Serqet, Heru-Wer, her Nut.

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 08:29:19 pm »
I'm a 4-H Leader, a Master Gardener, and I volunteer for Find A Grave.  I also care for a local cemetery with my 4-H club.
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Gleb

• Remetj
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 06:02:38 am »
Right now as mentioned before (or at least I think I've mentioned it), I teach people with disabilities to use a computer. So they can order food or an appointment to the doctor in the internet, instead of going to a clinic or waiting on the phone. Same for bank, blood tests and so on.

Starting from September, I'll switch a volunteering place and take care of veterans with disabilities instead. I am quite excited. ^_^
From what I know, the job includes a lot of paperwork regarding their finances, sending them various gifts and greetings on the holidays and bdays. In addition the place I'll be working at next 14 months organizes different trips to them. I quite like it so far.
Senebty,
Gleb

Offline Siobhan

• Remetj
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 12:33:30 pm »
Oh man, such excellent volunteering ideas here! And this just reminded me to get off my rear and attend my local LGBT Center's volunteer orientation like I've been meaning to do for the past few months. :D No time like the present!
Meset Djehuty
Meryt Bes her Hethert-Sekhmet

My Art

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2862
  • stats Total Posts: 282612
  • stats Total Topics: 19053
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 107
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything