Register
collapse collapse

* Donation Status

0%
Current donation status as of February 22, 2021 = $0.00 of $2,500
Final Donations for the period ending February 21st 2021 = $2,314.76 of $2,500 (93%) $185.24 of Rollover Fund used.
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 55
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Executive dysfunction  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
Executive dysfunction
« on: July 10, 2016, 09:22:42 am »
Em hotep, all.

I was just wondering how other neurodivergent members deal with executive dysfunction getting in the way of worship.

I'm in one of those phases where I can't even perform Senut and it's really weighing down on me. I feel so useless. I know they wouldn't be as effective or important, but are there alternatives to Senut that I can do? Or other ways to worship?

Thank you.
Biwi
“My two mothers set a good example (for me).”

Child of Sekhmet-Hethert and Serqet-Aset.
Beloved of Khonsu, Set, and Wepwawet-Yinepu.

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Executive dysfunction
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 11:41:31 am »
Em hotep! *henu*

I'm bipolar (type 2).  I certainly have long stretches of time where I can't do senut.  I pray when I can.  Time in shrine doesn't have to be exclusively senut shrine.  I will spend time just talking to them.  Even if it's just a short "Hello, I love you." 

Another idea is to offer your food.  "May Netjer be satisfied with the repast to the right and to the left."  I kiss my fingers, "wave" them once over the food, and click my fingers.  I forget where I learned that bit.

Note that it's a good idea to also share a bit with your Akhu - which you don't eat afterwards - because so often, our ancestors have dealt with these very issues.  Perhaps, like bipolar, it's genetic.  Or perhaps it's something that was taught within the family.  Doing your genealogy and reading about the lives of your ancestors is also an excellent tribute.

I find it important to also make sure that I'm taking my meds and otherwise keeping up with my treatment. 

Don't forget that we are directed to feed our kau.  Self-care is ka feeding!  Take care of you.  That includes keeping up on your treatment.

If you'd ever like to talk, feel free to PM me.

Senebty,
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 12:32:37 pm by Ankhetbast »
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 12:49:27 pm »
Hotep

Ankhetbast gives great suggestions. 

I also have issues with doing things like Senut because of my health constraints.  Offering your Gods the spiritual portion of your food before you eat is a good idea.  Anything you can do is precious even if it isn't "perfect" or Senut-ideal. 

Senebty
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Senui-Iry-I

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 04:21:49 pm »
I agree that Ankhetbast's suggestions are good ones! You can stay in bed and pray/talk to your gods and dedicate self care/recovery time to them.
When I'm going through stages when I can't seem to get anything done because of executive dysfunction, my gods are very gentle and let me know that taking a break from time to time is okay. I'll dedicate things like cooking my meals and taking a shower to them. They may be simple things, but when going through rough patches it takes a lot of effort and the gods seem to be appreciative of that.
Senui-iryi  (Iryi)
Sat Sobek-Ra her Hethert-Sekhmet,
Meryt Set her Yinepu-Wepwawet her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
𓆋 𓁥  𓁣 𓁢 𓋔
Sau apprentice

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 06:44:50 pm »
Thank you all! These are all amazing tips and I'll definitely do my best to incorporate them into my life!
Biwi
“My two mothers set a good example (for me).”

Child of Sekhmet-Hethert and Serqet-Aset.
Beloved of Khonsu, Set, and Wepwawet-Yinepu.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3348
  • stats Total Posts: 300632
  • stats Total Topics: 20679
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything