collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Primordial Water in Egyptian Tradition  (Read 2760 times)

Offline BalancingAct

Primordial Water in Egyptian Tradition
« on: July 25, 2016, 12:40:47 pm »
Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been doing some personal research lately into the ways that primordial/chaotic waters feature in various religious traditions, from Yahweh "[moving] over the face of the deep" in the Hebrew scriptures to the Sumerian Abzu. I was curious what, if any, significance that this has in the various Egyptian traditions. I know that some traditions involve Ra rising from the depths and that the Ogdoad features a god and goddess of the primordial waters.

Do these feature prominently any of your own experiences? Do you feel like the "chaotic" nature represents, as it does in some traditions, something to be conquered or, as in others, something to be respected?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 08:59:20 am by BalancingAct »

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
Re: Dream interpretation?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 08:12:55 pm »
Em Hotep and Welcome,

As an aside, Bestekeni posted a very helpful sticky in regards to dream interpretation, which can be found http://www.netjer.org/index.php?topic=14912.0.

Take a look around the forums, however, and see if there might be anything else that helps.

Senebty!
~Rev. Mesetibes
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 07:41:55 am »
Em hotep and welcome!
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline BalancingAct

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 08:53:47 am »
Thank you everyone!

@Maretemheqat, thank you for the link as well. I see a lot of really good points here, and I'll restructure the topic to be more constructive and conversational.

Offline Asetemsatweret

• Shemsu
Re: Primordial Water in Egyptian Tradition
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 12:58:52 pm »
Em hotep,

The Nun is the primordial water. I don't necessarily think of it as literal water. It's the state of dissolution before form emerged. The Ogdoad does have eight deities associated with these primordial states; two (Nun and Nunet) representing the water themselves.

Senebty,
Emsa

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

-Emsa

"Aset [is] on the Great Throne"
Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Amun, HetHert-Sekhmet, her Seshat-Nit-NebtHet

Offline Padememheru

• Shemsu
Re: Primordial Water in Egyptian Tradition
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 04:00:03 pm »
Em Hotep.  And Asetemsatweret is correct.  First it was Nun and Nunet(Naunet), then a mound called BenBen which either Ra, Ptah, or I think most commonly it was Atum that rose from this mound.  Of course this all depended on which area of Kemet you lived in when it came to who was the first.

However for me personally I believe it is something to be respected and acknowledged, not something to be conquered.  Just like with the gods.  You worship and respect Them, you don't conquer Them.  At least in my opinion.  Don't know if this helps, but that's my two cents.
"When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - Futurama's "Godfellas"

Padememheru ~The One Mentioned by Heru~
Sa Heru-sa-Aset (or Heru-Nedjitef)
Mery Set, Aset-Serqet, his Nut

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3312
  • stats Total Posts: 299390
  • stats Total Topics: 20544
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything