collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of June 14, 2021 = $1,847.64 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 60
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Venting and Heka  (Read 4211 times)

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
Venting and Heka
« on: August 01, 2016, 06:43:03 pm »
Em hotep, everyone.

So I'm mentally ill and I deal with regular intrusive thoughts and violent impulses. To keep myself from giving into these thoughts, I vent them through writing (usually online). Would this be considered heka? I know that writing can be heka and I really don't want to contribute to something happening to the target of my thoughts.

Thank you!
Biwi
“My two mothers set a good example (for me).”

Child of Sekhmet-Hethert and Serqet-Aset.
Beloved of Khonsu, Set, and Wepwawet-Yinepu.

Offline Tatjasobekra

• Divined Remetj
Re: Venting and Heka
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 07:25:01 pm »
Heka tends to be ritualized for it to take a "magical" effect. A ritualistic action/sound/"possession" by the deity along with the words spoken is heka.
Sat Sobek-Ra
Meryt Wadjet, Djehuty, Bast her Aset-Serqet

Mudang (korean shaman-priest) ; God Divination, Kut Ceremony, Prayerwork by appointment.
{ themudang.com | ig@themudang }

Offline Shuwyt

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 07:41:58 pm »
My actual answer to the question is, "I don't know; but someone else probably does."

Just speculation-wise, though, I tend to think the universe is cruel but not necessarily stupid, and I'd wonder if the act of saying/thinking, "I put this into writing to remove it from (purify) my mind," might not also be a form of heka (one that in this case would be a protection against someone being targeted, rather than it intentionally making them a target). If you're really worried about it, maybe you could do something like adding a strikethrough once you have it written, to symbolize that you're destroying those thoughts? Then it will look like this. (The code for that in HTML is <s> to open and </s> to close; if you need it for something like a board, swap the pointy brackets for the square ones!)
Shuwytyinepu (Yinepu's Shadow)
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet, meryt Sokar-Wesir her Ra
Curiosity killed the - ooh! What's that?

Offline Tuwer

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 08:08:00 pm »
I'd have to agree with Shuwyt... the act of the writing can definitely be a form of heka.  If you're worried about how what you actually write may effect/not-effect others, the strikethrough option is an idea, as would be writing those thoughts in some sort of red (ink, text color, etc.)...

Also, also... you could surround the text with ASCII-knives/daggers/swords, something like what these websites have:  http://www.ascii-code.com/ascii-art/weapons/swords.php  -  http://www.asciiworld.com/-Blades-.html
Senebty,
~ Tuwer
~ Daughter of Bast-Mut and (Hekatawy-Alexandros)| (AUS), Beloved of Amun-Ra & Khonsu

Offline FORMER MEMBER

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 07:55:41 am »
Just to jump on the bandwagon, I think the intent behind what's written very much impacts whether or not it's tied into positive or negative heka. For example, if I'm journaling, and what started as a venting-journal becomes "Dyl's space for self-degradation"--well, that, to me, is negative heka against myself. If at the end of that, however, as an act of healing and/or destruction, I cross out the negativity and even add a note to the effect of "None of that is true"--then it could become a positive.

In short, a bit of insurance, so to speak, can't hurt. :) It might even be worth beginning a journal with a "disclaimer"--a prayer to the Gods for strength, a note that none of what you write is to take any effect against others and/or yourself, that it's simply a healing way to rid yourself of these impulses and to process what's going on. Almost like an online/written rite of execration, perhaps?

Hope that makes sense! All the best to you!
Senebty and shalom,
Gezausenu.
Removed at request of former member.

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 08:54:15 am »
The technical practice and implementation of heka is using the spoken word. 

But written word can be just as powerful.  You have made the word immortal, to an extent.  You have made it apart of the world around you.  If you have spoken it inside yourself, it could have an impact on the world depending on your intent. 

To mimic what others have said, cross out what you have said or pre-define that what you write or speak will not have an impact on the world and that you are merely venting. 

Senebty

Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Sonebiyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 01:48:27 pm »
Em Hotep,

I would be careful with what you write. I also agree with the others above. Being mentally ill myself and autistic I understand. Just make sure you don't say things like "I wish so and so is de*d" had thoughts are not fun and nearly uncontrollable but writing can help so do what will help your mental health.

Senebty,
Sonebi
"Yinepu heals me"
Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet
Beloved of Amun-Ra, Heru-Wer, Sokar-Wesir, and Sekhmet-Mut

Offline Khamaiyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 08:51:47 pm »
Intrusive thoughts are nasty, I used to get them pretty severely to the point I couldn't sleep.

If writing is what vents it for you, maybe write the words out that intrude and then execrate them/burn them would be my sugession. I've found accepting the thoughts as nothing more than an irritation is what helped me at least.

Of course if you can't bring yourself to write them out (I never could) then don't try and force yourself.

Yinepu Drives off Evil [From Me]
Son of Yinepu-Wepwawet
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Tefnut and Amun
𓐍𓅓𓂝𓂞𓇋 𓈖 𓂸 𓁣 𓀂

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3423
  • stats Total Posts: 302193
  • stats Total Topics: 20857
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 123
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal