collapse collapse

* Donation Status

0%
Current donation status as of July 22, 2021 = $0 of $2,500 or 0%
Previous period: $2,681.09 of $2,500! 107%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Dual Paths  (Read 4211 times)

Offline Jacklyn

• Remetj
Dual Paths
« on: August 21, 2016, 09:30:17 pm »
Em hotep everyone, not sure if this is the place for this but I was wondering how members who work with other gods and systems make it work and or balance? I've been practicing Hellenismos off and on for the past few years and I feel a pull towards that again recently, that's why I was wondering how practicing more than one religion actually works?
ฯSha'anemheruฯ
'Sprung forth from Heru'
Shanem <3

Self-care Khonsu Keeper

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
Re: Dual Paths
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 09:44:01 pm »
Em hotep!

I've been doing this myself for over a decade now, as I also have a relationship with Odin and His family, am involved in a Vodou house, and periodically get prodded by some Hellenic and Gaelic deities. My active practice at the moment is minimal due to chronic health problems, but in the past I have managed thusly. I used to do senut in the morning on a daily basis, and in the evenings after work would engage in my other practices depending on the day of the week. Since I am first a shemsu-ankh, Netjer gets the most focus. With my lwa, different spirits are honored on different days of the week, and with the Aesir, They also had days (evenings when I would take time with Them.

Our Gods aren't jealous Gods, though everyone needs to figure out their own balance.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 09:46:37 pm »
Em hotep Jacklyn -henu-

It can be complicated to make it work.  In addition to my Kemeticism, I also practice Hellenismos and Heathenism. 

But you make it work.  Anything can become a devotional activity and you can pray anytime to whatever Gods you feel close to.  Daily offerings might become an issue with faiths who have such varying purification rituals but I know many people just make an offering alongside their meals and conduct their faith that way. 

The best advice I can give you is to just not forget the Gods.  Don't forget the Theoi.  Your best effort may not look like someone else's best effort and maybe you can't muster up enough energy for a full reconstructionist ritual but what CAN you do?     
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Saymari

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 10:03:23 pm »
I have not been here as long as some but one thing I have learned in my time working with the Kemetic deities is that is very possible to work with them and other dieties spirits and such (btw Odin and crew are awesome I hang out with Heathens).
In fact, I am actually working Druidic path working at the moment and trying to learn about the Celtic Deities because of some messages received from the netjeru. I even have an altar piece to a certain other deity and It seems happy to comingle with some of the netjeru.
What you need to focus on is making sure you have time to devote to all your pathworking and make sure if gods and goddesses are in close proximity that they get along. I would also suggest divinations before undertaking any path working to make sure you get the blessing of the spirits and deities you already work with.
On an eternal search for the truth with occasional stops for snacks and site seeing.

Hey guys, I am trying to get some practice with some oracle work. Anyone who wants a reading please feel free to message me ^_^

Offline Saymari

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 10:07:57 pm »

Do you have any advise for working with the Celtoi?
I see you stated you work with the Gaelic Deities and I am always looking for outside input. I mean, if it is not too much to ask.
On an eternal search for the truth with occasional stops for snacks and site seeing.

Hey guys, I am trying to get some practice with some oracle work. Anyone who wants a reading please feel free to message me ^_^

Offline Akhyt

• Sema Kau Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 02:45:09 am »
I don't practice any other religion or spiritual path to such an extent as to consider it a dual path or something like that, but for the eight years I've been in the House, I have always had some dealings with some other deities etc. Six years ago, I was spiritually involved with the hindu goddesses Lakshmi and Saraswati for a while.

For the past two years, I've felt the pull towards some aspects of the pre-christian Finnish faith tradition, mainly the Bear as a god/divine ancestor/spirit guide type character. This is very much related to my research on my ancestors, to whom the Bear seems to have been very important in the late 16th/early 17th century: My family name, Kondelin, is derived from Kontio, which is the most common euphemism for Bear in Eastern Finland (and a very common family name as well). In my family, this name in turn derives from Kontionsilmä ("The Eye of the Bear", or "Bear-Eyes"), a name that my great-great-something-great-grandfather received during his life (he was born circa 1580), likely due to being initiated in the cult/profession of "wise ones" who received their power from the Bear, and replaced his original family name with. 

I haven't really done that much with this pull towards the Bear spirituality yet, but am certainly planning to do so. And while we don't mix KO with other traditions, I still think this might be a good way for me to connect with my akhu on a spiritual level, which is something I have had a hard time with so far. So it might even be that other paths are sometimes beneficial for our Kemetic practices as well, not just something that needs to be carefully balanced with them.
Akhytsenu, "Two Are Flying"
Sat Tefnut, Ra-Heruakhety & Hekatawy I
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Shu, Djehuty & Nit-Nebthet-Seshat

Pronoun: they/them/their/themself

Offline Vincent

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 05:26:11 am »
I've had a bit of dealings with the goddess Hekate, while I was 'working' with her I pretty much kept her entirely separate from the Netjeru (physically and spiritually). Currently I worship only the Netjeru but she is still special to me and there is a good chance I will pick up communication with Her again eventually. Though I dealt with Her separately from the rest of the Hellenic pantheon I still worshiped Her in a Hellenic way including concepts like hubris, etc.
Similar to Akhyt I'm now researching the old German gods (similar to the Norse apparently) to hopefully further connect with my Akhu (if anyone has info on specifically the west Germanic gods pls hmu!!!!), I will probably apply the same concepts to Them.
Sa Wepwawet-Yinepu
mery Sekhmet-Mut her Ra

Offline Djehutydjesi

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 07:32:55 am »
Oh! Now I am glad for this thread. I also practice Vodou and for the last year and one half a return to Buddhism, this time Pure Land Buddhism after a series of strong dreams basically told me "GO THERE".
   I sometimes feel that vodou (and having two wives in that tradition) take a lot of time away from what could be for Kemetic things (but not overly much I guess.. I think just the petitionary needs got knocked down from the Gods to the Lwa). The worldviews are also both African derived and so they meld pretty well.
   Buddhism has been giving me headaches and worry though. The worldviews are harder to reconcile I think. If I daily take refuge in Buddha, Dharma, Sangha is that a slight to Djehuty et al.? In my heart I don't know, but Brain gets in the way... I've seriously considered leaving or downgrading my membership here in the House because of the tension. I'm slowly getting to an accomodating place in my head I hope.
   Anyway, I'm glad the thread started (similar threads have happened in the past but it's good to restart them now and again because Spirit is never still)
Djehutydjesi (Djehuty called me)
Sa Djehuty ~ Heri Sesheta
Mery Hethert-Sekhmet her Amun

Offline Jacklyn

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 08:23:06 am »
Thank you for all your responses, while reading Akhyt's response I realize my akhu pushed me in that direction because we just learned we're half Greek, I find it interesting all the responses where people said their akhu pushed them in that direction. Dhehutydjesi in the past I dabbled with Buddhism sometimes the world view is hard to accept but I think we're pushed to certain things for a reason, and as long as your practices work out that's all that matters.
ฯSha'anemheruฯ
'Sprung forth from Heru'
Shanem <3

Self-care Khonsu Keeper

Offline Wes

• Remetj
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 01:10:44 pm »
Like a couple others, I follow a Kemetic and Heathen(-ish) path. 

Juggling is not too bad, as long as I make sure I'm not forgetting to check in with either.  Since holidays don't really line up it's actually much easier than I had expected. 

I think the hardest thing is not falling into treating each as an archetype, or similarly .  Unless of course you hold a more syncretic view than I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3432
  • stats Total Posts: 302773
  • stats Total Topics: 20929
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 123
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal