collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: "God-Collecting" and being god-bothered  (Read 8117 times)

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
Re: "God-Collecting" and being god-bothered
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 04:03:34 pm »
Gods and certain netjeri love attention. If you'll give it, they'll take it. It doesn't make you special, but a pushover. Don't be a pushover. Make boundaries.

This.  I started with two beloveds and now I have 5. I don't love Them any less, but I do mostly think I'd have been better sticking to the two I started with. 

I also have a hard time imagining any God begging for a human's worship.  They don't need us.  They like us.  They like attention.  But "pretty please worship me"?  Nah.
Daughter of Bast-Mut | Servant of the Queen of Heaven

Offline Shariwepwawet

• Shemsu
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 11:50:29 am »
I think Netjeru do need us. They require our offerings to sustain Them and They require us to work their will on earth. I know I read of a pharaoh who went "hey, we're not gonna give you offerings until you give us what we need." I'll have to hunt down the specifics.
Shari
Child of Wepwawet. Beloved of Set and Ra.

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 08:39:36 am »
Hemet has said that the gods don't need us.  The Akhu kinda do.  But not the gods.

I don't doubt that some pharaoh did say that.  It's not an uncommon thing even with us.  It doesn't mean the gods require our worship and offerings. It just means they really like them a lot and all things being equal would rather continue to receive them.
Daughter of Bast-Mut | Servant of the Queen of Heaven

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 07:33:27 pm »
Hemet has said that the gods don't need us.  The Akhu kinda do.  But not the gods.

I don't doubt that some pharaoh did say that.  It's not an uncommon thing even with us.  It doesn't mean the gods require our worship and offerings. It just means they really like them a lot and all things being equal would rather continue to receive them.
Em hotep

It's actually a pretty common thing that the Netjeru do need us to some extent or another.  Now, do They need us personally? Probably not. Us as a species? Kind of.

We're a pretty decent part of the upholding of ma'at; since Seen and Unseen interact with each other frequently. This includes things like offerings which feed our Gods, giving Them strength. It also includes things like remembering Them, which is an offering to a certain extent.

A frequent threat made by magicians during heka is "if You do not do as have said, I will take away Your offering cakes, destroy Your icons, end Your cult, [etc]". This is because They do need us. Not that They can't go on without us, because hey, the images of offerings that the ancients made will continue to sustain Them. But if we as a species didn't exist, those images wouldn't exist so...

Additionally, the less isfet we put into the world and the more ma'at we do, the less isfet there is for Them to fight. And there's a better spreading of ma'at out there.

So I wouldn't say They don't need us, but I wouldn't say we are necessary either. We can make life easier, more enjoyable (because hey, who wouldn't want to have chocolate and Coke instead of bread and beer once in a while), etc, for Them. But is the world going to end if you don't make an offering every day before sunrise? I doubt it.

But if we're going to discuss this stuff, I think it really should be in a separate forum so we don't distract from the original post.

That's just a Ra'awy penny though. :)

Senebty
Ra'awy

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:35:42 pm by Ra'awyserqet »
(They/them)

Sa Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), mery Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Alexandros, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner for Serqet-Aset and Nehmet-Awai

Offline Idi-Noof

• Shemsu
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 09:25:13 pm »
I have Netjer who are my gods, that are in my line up that I worship first and formost. These to me are like my immediate family. My parents, aunts and uncles. Sometimes it feels like extended family comes along. Right now I'm getting to know Khonsu because he is one of the gods over the year, and we share a Dad. So to me he is like a step brother.
Sometimes powerful netjer might show up like Aset. To me she is like a smart powerful great aunt. We work on heka, divination, trance work etc together. Other dieties are like my cool cousin friends who stop by and hang out, or I call if I need help and they might have the spiritual equivalent of a pick up truck I could borrow. So I'm not so much bothered as it is like getting phone calls from various family members.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline Senui-Iry-I

• Shemsu
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 07:35:09 am »
I feel my experience is similar to Idi's.
I have the four gods of my lineup that I worship and then occasionally another name will pop in, but they never stay for long. They usually have a short lesson or request from me, then they go on their way.
Senui-iryi  (Iryi)
Sat Sobek-Ra her Hethert-Sekhmet,
Meryt Set her Yinepu-Wepwawet her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
𓆋 𓁥  𓁣 𓁢 𓋔
Sau apprentice

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3260
  • stats Total Posts: 298636
  • stats Total Topics: 20476
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 117
  • stats Most Online: 955