Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 41
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Tefnut Syncretization?  (Read 3599 times)

Offline Shenuty

• Shemsu
Tefnut Syncretization?
« on: September 24, 2016, 07:56:33 pm »
Em hotep!

(Pardon for any formatting issues, this is my first non-reply post on the forums!)

This thought crossed my mind earlier today, and I figured I would ask! I've been reading a little on Tefnut lately (it was raining a lot, and I was thinking about the Names associated with rain/water), and I was wondering:

Besides the Tefnut/Hethert syncretization that has showed up historically, are there any other combinations of Tefnut-(Name) that have been recorded (historically, in RPDs, so on and so forth)?

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I can't seem to find anything!

Senebty,
Elijah
Wepwawet
Heru-Wer | Sokar-Wesir | Set
In the company of Sobek, Sekhmet-Mut, and Djehuty
Self care Sekhmet-Mut advocate

Offline Rahotep

Re: Tefnut Syncretization?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 08:00:14 pm »
Ma´at
Dj anx Dd wAs

Offline Rev. Ma'atnofret

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 08:04:44 pm »
Sekhmet-Tefnut
Hethert-Tefnut
Tefnut is the original Eye goddess. All eye goddesses can be 'traced' to her, in a sense.
A'Aqytsekhmet "Sekhmet's Servant"
Sat Sekhmet meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, Wenut, Sokar-Wesir, Heru-wer
Nekhen Iakhu Ihy Neferu Khau
Fedw Diviner  -  Shrine Image Service available  -  Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
 Patreon

Offline Shenuty

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 08:21:16 pm »
That makes sense! Thank you for the response. :)
Wepwawet
Heru-Wer | Sokar-Wesir | Set
In the company of Sobek, Sekhmet-Mut, and Djehuty
Self care Sekhmet-Mut advocate

Offline Sat_Maat

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 12:47:12 pm »
According to some earlier theories Tefnut is associated with humidity rather than with rain. But newer assuptions reject this theory and associate Tefnut with fire so it's like heat and water kinda united.

In fact I, too, remember her being mentioned in a coffin text describing the creation myth of Heliopolis where she's basically replaced with Ma'at who instead of her appears as the daughter of Atum together with Shu.

Offline Awdjerethethert

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 02:57:32 am »

According to some earlier theories Tefnut is associated with humidity rather than with rain. But newer assuptions reject this theory and associate Tefnut with fire so it's like heat and water kinda united.

This is interesting. Do you remember where you read this? I tend to think of Tefnut as humidity and clouds and not just rain (in a UPG way). I would love to read more about ancient views on this.
Awdjerethethert, a.k.a. Awdjeret. They/them pronouns, please.
Child of Hethert-Sekhmet; beloved of Tefnut and Djehuty

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 02:00:32 pm »
Em hotep!

This thought crossed my mind earlier today, and I figured I would ask! I've been reading a little on Tefnut lately (it was raining a lot, and I was thinking about the Names associated with rain/water), and I was wondering:

Besides the Tefnut/Hethert syncretization that has showed up historically, are there any other combinations of Tefnut-(Name) that have been recorded (historically, in RPDs, so on and so forth)?

Senebty,
Elijah

I have seen on lists in the LAGG for Aset and Nebet  Het that they were identified with Tefnut on some occasions.  So there is an Aset-Tefnut and Nebet Het-Tefnut. 
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut her Bast-Mut

Offline Imaibiraheruakhety

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 07:32:55 pm »
This is a very interesting thread for me.  I am newly divined beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Tefnut.  Right after my RPD I had two thoughts 1. I don't know much about Tefnut and 2.I wanted to dedicate swimming to Tefnut.  I used to love swimming, and have been doing it on and off maybe once a month for a while. But now I promised to swim a minimum of once (and preferably twice) a week, and think of Tefnut as I do so.   

I've thought of Tefnut as I swam.  I eventually had the thought (while actively swimming),  'Tefnut is not the water itself, I never feel her when i get in the water like i thought i would.  but rather,  she is the bubbles I create while swimming and she is my breathing every few strokes. That is what she feels like to me now (my first time feeling her). 

After reading Sat_Maat's post just now, I had another thought,  Ironically, today while swimming i noticed the dryness in my throat/mouth after taking a few breaths.   Fire is associated with dryness/arid.  The longer you swim, the more you breath, eventually  your mouth starts to get dry. I think if you think of her as the air bubbles and breath, that can attest to Tefnut's ability to synchronize with Sekhmet. Not the body of water, but the pockets of air in it (moisture/humidity), but also the dryness created in your mouth as you swim (fire/arid/sekhmet). Not sure if this answers your question, but I'm super happy I found this post.

Senebty,
Imaibi
ImaibiRaHeruakhety --Exuberance is a good stimulus towards action, but the inner light grows in silence and concentration

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3260
  • stats Total Posts: 298624
  • stats Total Topics: 20473
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 117
  • stats Most Online: 955