collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 22
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Talking To My Akhu  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Johnny Charlton

Talking To My Akhu
« on: November 23, 2016, 07:23:58 am »
I finally got around to setting up a Shrine for My Akhu. I asked them to give me insight, knowledge, wisdom and understanding pertaining to things I may go through, that they experienced. I felt uplifted afterwards..  8)

Offline Senzyibast

• Shemsu
Re: Talking To My Akhu
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 04:25:00 am »
Awesome! I haven't set up mine yet. I'm a bit lost on what sorts of things to put on there.

Anyway. What was talking to your akhu like? Did you hear them speak back to you?
{ Senzi }
"I worship Bast"
---
Sa Bast
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Wepwawet-Yinepu

Offline Nimaatitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 02:49:59 pm »
Congratulations on setting up your shrine and opening communications with your Akhu, Johnny Charlton.

Criatak: on my Akhu Altar (it is an antique buffet with a glass cabinet) I have a digital photo frame with photos of some Akhu, drinking glasses and offering plate, and lots of stuff that either belonged to my Akhu or stuff that I've purchased that I think they'd like. I keep my late husband's ashes on it as well. In my drinking glasses (I rotate between wine glasses, onyx goblets, and double shot glasses) I keep one full of wine, liquor, mead (some type of alcohol) and one full of water. The offering plate will hold whatever food or candy offerings. I also have 3 candles (colors vary) and an incense burner. Talking with my Akhu, for me at least, is like carrying on a conversation in my head (sometimes it's in my gut) or like recalling a conversation from the past. It depends on who I am talking to though and other circumstances as it can vary.

Your Akhu altar can be as simple or complex as you like. https://instagram.com/p/BMKSbiqDJuF/ that's not the best photo quality but it's my current Akhu Altar setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Senebty,
Nima'at
Self-Care Mut Advocate

Offline Johnny Charlton

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 04:03:37 am »
Thank you Nimaatitui for giving me some excellent ideas / options. You ate greatly appreciated.
Thank You..... This was very helpful....

Offline Platypus

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 06:58:53 pm »
I'm glad you have had such a good experience with it so far!

I'm having trouble figuring out where to set up my Akhu alter -- I've got a general Kemetic alter set up on top of my dresser, and a witchy alter set up, so that's most of the table space. I have a little floor space in my room (I'm in an apartment with three roomates right now, and while they're accepting people I wouldn't set up an Akhu alter in the middle of the living room). Would it be disrespectful to set up an alter on top of a cardboard box? If so I'll start looking for a cheap table or other such surface.

Offline Wepwyitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 09:11:23 pm »
Platypus, I understand you concerning limited space/people around. The idea with a box seems fine with me, but instead of putting things ON it, you could just put photos IN it, just don't close the lid. It can be placed easily on a shelve or window or anywhere as it is mobile and all the things are in one place, so you get a portable altar.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 09:12:56 pm by sunlight_dapple »
Child of Sokar-Wesir and Ra-Heruakhety
Beloved of Bast and Set.

Offline Senzyibast

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 10:12:21 pm »

I'm having trouble figuring out where to set up my Akhu alter -- I've got a general Kemetic alter set up on top of my dresser, and a witchy alter set up, so that's most of the table space. I have a little floor space in my room (I'm in an apartment with three roomates right now, and while they're accepting people I wouldn't set up an Akhu alter in the middle of the living room). Would it be disrespectful to set up an alter on top of a cardboard box? If so I'll start looking for a cheap table or other such surface.

I'm not sure a box would be stable enough. Those wooden TV trays are fairly cheap and could serve well. Or a plastic tote with a lid. It'd be terrible if your box was to collapse with your shrine on it.
{ Senzi }
"I worship Bast"
---
Sa Bast

Offline Awdjerethethert

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 10:38:09 pm »
Would it be disrespectful to set up an alter on top of a cardboard box?

My senut shrine was on top of a cardboard box for a while. (It's on my bookshelf now.) I put a cloth over it so that it looked more like a table and less like a box.  ;D
Awdjerethethert, a.k.a. Awdjeret. They/them pronouns, please.
Child of Hethert-Sekhmet; beloved of Tefnut and Djehuty

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 10:57:26 pm »

You could probably find a really cheap wooden box somewhere or use an empty dresser drawer as an akhu altar.  Cardboard works as fine though.  Maybe an old altoid tin would be a good idea if you're pressed for money.

I used a small wooden stool for my first akhu altar.  Perhaps you could use that or a window sill for the base of it. 
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Senzyibast

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 06:05:35 am »
I just finished setting up my akhu shrine (except for the empty picture frame). Now to figure out how to talk to people I don't really know.  ???

http://imgur.com/2r4LwVO
{ Senzi }
"I worship Bast"
---
Sa Bast

Offline Nimaatitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 12:18:09 pm »
I just finished setting up my akhu shrine (except for the empty picture frame). Now to figure out how to talk to people I don't really know.  ???

http://imgur.com/2r4LwVO

I would start a conversation like you would with anyone else, "hey, how are you" or something. Something that has helped me is to start by giving gratitude to your Akhu for being, otherwise you wouldn't be either....mine seem to really like that. Your Akhu are in your blood so you do have a connection already. The trick for me is to get my mind to be quiet to let the voices of my Akhu come through. It will take some time and practice but it'll come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Senebty,
Nima'at
Self-Care Mut Advocate

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3019
  • stats Total Posts: 289947
  • stats Total Topics: 19673
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112
  • stats Most Online: 217