Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 86
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Sobek Possession  (Read 5442 times)

Offline Senuwiemdjeti

• Shemsu
Sobek Possession
« on: October 29, 2016, 07:21:33 pm »
So today I was having a normal day relaxing and watching tv. They had A Haunting on TLC and there was episode where the boy went to the museum and saw the mummy of a priestess of Sobek. The following night he had nightmares of the mummy opening her eyes and when he woke up he saw sobek who growled at him. From then on Sobek haunted him and even bit him in the arm leading to scars. When he got older he was possessed by Sobek leading him to be angry and aggressive. Eventually he had to be "delivered" from this possession. They described Sobek as an angry Egyptian god and a demon.

Any insight on this?
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu and Bast, beloved of Wesir, Hethert-Sekhmet, and Set.

Offline Khenneferitw

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Sobek Possession
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 07:57:03 pm »
My answer is the TLC shows are sensationalist and make things up for ratings.

It's reality TV and post-fact documentaries.
Khenne | they/them
Child of Ptah-Sokar, Wepwawet, & (Hekatawy-Alexandros)|
Beloved of Bast, Sekhmet, & Set
Fedw diviner | Sau apprentice | Boston Fellowship Coordinator

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 08:48:59 pm »
Agreed.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Rehenhersenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 09:03:37 pm »
Haha every time this episode is on TV I lose my mind laughing. Even when I was young and saw it, way before I believed the Egyptian gods were still around let alone worshipped, I thought it was so odd to see Sobek portrayed like that. 
Sat Sobek her Taweret ,
Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet, Set, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Khnum, Wesir, her Khepera

(Rehenhersenu- "Relies on Two")

Offline Senuwiemdjeti

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 09:27:44 pm »
I hate watching things on tv like that because they never portray it with the real facts. Especially when it comes to wicca for example. But that was the first time I've seen anything like that and I'm not too familiar with Sobek. But some things on that show didn't add up to me and the accounts of others on here close to Sobek.
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu and Bast, beloved of Wesir, Hethert-Sekhmet, and Set.

Offline Saymari

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 12:51:10 am »
Ha.
I heard about this way back; someone asked me about it.
It was a hoot.
On an eternal search for the truth with occasional stops for snacks and site seeing.

Hey guys, I am trying to get some practice with some oracle work. Anyone who wants a reading please feel free to message me ^_^

Offline Tjemsy

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 06:28:32 am »
I am sure the creators of that show did nothing in regard to reasearching Sobek or his role in Kemeticism, and just jumped down the "foreign god = evil" route. As a bonus, crocodiles are often considered scary/aggressive, so slapping "evil" on Sobek is even easier than, like, doing it to Wenut.

I don't know this show, so I can't comment on whether or not this was a complete fabrication. Especially depending on the age of the child, it's normal to feel scared of threatening things like mummies and crocodiles. If there was any "backstory" delivered to him before he went to the museum, it could have easily created the fear and nightmares on its own.

Alternatively, his fear could have created some sort of hostile entity, or something may have come along and took advantage of the boy's vulnerable state, putting Sobek's face on to do so. The "possession" itself may not have been a literal possession. It could be a sort of imprinting, where whatever hostile entity was simply rubbing off on him, or it could be a natural aggression developed from a variety of irrelevant factors. Blaming Sobek for it is just convenient.
Tjemsy - "Two Red Ones"

Sat Sekhmet her Set
Meryt Heru-wer, Bast, Wepwawet, Taweret, Nebthet,
 & Nefertem-Imhotep

Fedw Diviner | Tjemsy@kemet.org

Offline Rayashi

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 07:19:20 am »
My personal feeling is that 95% (my made up statistic) of the time, a paranormal episode is psychologically induced due to environmental or mental factors. 
I have not seen this show, but I'm confident that it's sensationalized to increase ratings and has little to no potential for being an actual event.
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Etsy

Offline Idi-Noof

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 11:35:49 am »
Oh hey I know that show! I've watched it a bunch, even before it got canceled and brought back. It has always, always had an extremely Christian bias. Any episode that deals with any other religion, from native American practices, Judaism and especially wicca or anything pagan related it is always bad and Christian means are needed to "save" the day.
It's very biased. But it's pretty finny with the terrible acting etc at times.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline Riley.rifle

• Remetj
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 11:58:21 am »
I don't know the particular episode you're referring to, but TLC has long since given up credibility for ratings. I may have to track this down now and watch it, it sounds rather ludicrous. It might be entertaining. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
🙌🌞
Dua Ra!
Dua Netjer!
Dua Netjeru!

Offline Senuwiemdjeti

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 01:41:53 pm »
Well its not an original TLC show. Now TLC is putting shows from investigation discovery and other channels on there line up. Most shows are christian bias. My favorite is the dead files because they find out what it is and then offer solutions from a wide verity of practices.

I guess it would make sense for a bad spirit to choose the boy and disguise itself as something he would fear if it was a real case.

Offline Riley.rifle

• Remetj
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 02:05:30 pm »
Ah, is it syfy? They seem to be hit or miss nowadays. I abhor the inherent Christian bias in television. Obviously, there aren't a lot of people that practice non-Christian religions, but I feel that they deserve some representation too. I'd love to see something focusing on diversity in the US in a positive light. Sorry to derail the conversation. Just one of my pet peeves.
🙌🌞
Dua Ra!
Dua Netjer!
Dua Netjeru!

Offline Senui-Iry-I

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 10:27:41 pm »
I've seen this episode and it makes me shake my head.
I feel similar to a lot of folks here and believe these hauntings are never as serious as they are made out to be and these shows play them up big time for views.
Sobek can be pushy but not in the ways the show depicted. He doesn't possess people and make them into angry, aggressive individuals, that sounds like they're ignoring an underlying issue the person had.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 10:38:13 pm by Senui-Iry-I »
Senui-iryi  (Iryi)
Sat Sobek-Ra her Hethert-Sekhmet,
Meryt Set her Yinepu-Wepwawet her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
𓆋 𓁥  𓁣 𓁢 𓋔
Sau apprentice

Offline UhemAnqet

• Remetj
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 06:10:30 am »
My name in another Per Ankh is Serket Sobek. I never really liked it but reconnecting with my Atef brought me appreciation of it. In the hospital a few days ago I met a Brazilian Shaman by accident in the hospital. Very wonderful! She was frightened though by what she perceived as my guards. Anpu, Heru and Sobek were there and she was intimidated. Sobek was so long she said that he filled my hospital room and Anpu was as tall as the #Ceiling. A wonderfully experience with Sobek who always loved me. He's like not a possessive energy at all. Do they even try to make real sense or do they just watch The Howling 2 and figured a little bit of everything works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3089
  • stats Total Posts: 293305
  • stats Total Topics: 19971
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 113
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything