Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 110
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Thoughts on honoring Netjeru and upholding Ma'at  (Read 1343 times)

Offline makaroth

Thoughts on honoring Netjeru and upholding Ma'at
« on: April 20, 2018, 04:10:00 pm »
Hey all, I've been reading Jan Assmann's 'The Search for God in Ancient Egypt' and I'm loving it thus far.  I've read Naydler's 'Temple of the Cosmos' which is great but doesn't seem to be fully rooted in ancient Egyptian thought processes.  That's obviously fine but I wanted to dig deeper and get a more academic perspective.  Anyway, I came across a section on laments and apocalyptic prophecy.  Assmann cites the Hermetic text 'Asclepius' written in the 3rd or 4th century CE (I think?) and its apocalyptic prophecy (which is really quite poetic!).  He states that "the typically Egyptian association of cult and natural religion is nowhere made as explicit as in this text" and then went on to discuss common laments that were written presumably during the intermediate periods or thereabouts all the way back to the Old Kingdom.

Connecting the fear or trepidation of ancient Egyptians concerning the threat of distance between the gods and humanity to the concept of Ma'at was really enlightening to me.  He writes about the Egyptians' perspective of "a world that humankind had rendered uninhabitable by offending against the harmony of a socially conceived reality, by contravening the principle of solidarity.  The principle of plentitude that made the world a flourishing paradise was Maat, 'Right.'  Its opposite devastated the world, because the gods renounced their dwelling, not only in the temples of the local dimension, but also in the life-giving powers of nature in the cosmic dimension."

I just found that to put such wonderful context to our practice and especially the work of w'abu and Hemet (AUS).  The cultivation of a relationship with Netjeru isn't so much about us individually but us collectively and the world in which we live, and in driving back apep or isfet.  It is a service of deep connection that makes this quilt of reality ever more interwoven and harmonious.  And that harmony (or lack thereof) can be thought to directly feed into the social sphere and vice versa.  Not that everyone who isn't doing senut or whatever is making the world worse but the very act of a prayer, sending good vibes, or even doing something charitable or friendly is a small piece of Ma'at in a world that desperately needs more of it.

Just some thoughts I had. :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 04:13:43 pm by makaroth »

Offline Inqisenu

• Shemsu
Re: Thoughts on honoring Netjeru and upholding Ma'at
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 08:14:20 pm »
Em hotep, Makaroth! *henu*

Thank you for sharing this~ It is good food for thought!

Finding ways to spread Ma'at on all levels in our lives is a great thing to strive for. And doing small things can snowball into larger things when more and more people join in. So every little bit can matter! I think we sometimes focus too often on the big, and forget about the foundations that can stabilize that larger ideal state.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

Senebty~
ᐃᘛ Inqisenu ᘚᐃ
Child of Hethert-Iusaas & Heru-sa-Aset, Beloved of Set

◈ Sau Apprentice ◈

Offline Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 02:43:20 am »

Connecting the fear or trepidation of ancient Egyptians concerning the threat of distance between the gods and humanity to the concept of Ma'at was really enlightening to me.  He writes about the Egyptians' perspective of "a world that humankind had rendered uninhabitable by offending against the harmony of a socially conceived reality, by contravening the principle of solidarity.  The principle of plentitude that made the world a flourishing paradise was Maat, 'Right.'  Its opposite devastated the world, because the gods renounced their dwelling, not only in the temples of the local dimension, but also in the life-giving powers of nature in the cosmic dimension."

I just found that to put such wonderful context to our practice and especially the work of w'abu and Hemet (AUS).  The cultivation of a relationship with Netjeru isn't so much about us individually but us collectively and the world in which we live, and in driving back apep or isfet.  It is a service of deep connection that makes this quilt of reality ever more interwoven and harmonious.  And that harmony (or lack thereof) can be thought to directly feed into the social sphere and vice versa. 

Just some thoughts I had. :)
[/quote

Em hotep Makaroth!

Most excellent reading! I love both of those authors, especially Jan Assmann. He very masterfully put the thoughts that you mention and I snipped above (he also writes other great books, which I'm sure you'll discover at some point).

The former paragraph that I snipped and inserted above is so very true. I read the same section in Assmann's book, and this so floored me, because it is so very true as I look at the world today.

In the latter snipped quote, you note a very important word to Netjer and all of us: Service. This is a most important aspect of Ma'at, that we as individuals strive to be of service in any way we can. We are not alone. The collective harmony is a goal of Ma'at, and doing small things of service that all add up, upholds Ma'at. No act is too small.

Thank you for contributing! Awesome post!

Seneby,

Tatuayinepu
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Hekatawy Alexandros I (AUS); Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, and Heru wer

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu and Sed/Fundraising Bak/Team Leader

Offline Yinepuemsaes

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 12:32:53 pm »
Makaroth, I loved your post! 

Also, it looks like 'The Search for God in Ancient Egypt' was just added to my reading list.  :)
Yinepuemsaes - "Yinepu is her protection"
Sat Yinepu
Meryt Bast

Offline Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 02:50:23 am »
Em hotep Makaroth!

I LOVE that book! Jan Assmann is one of my all time favorite authors!

Thank you for sharing. Would've added that to the post above but it got eaten (?)

Tatuayinepu
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Hekatawy Alexandros I (AUS); Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, and Heru wer

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu and Sed/Fundraising Bak/Team Leader

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3164
  • stats Total Posts: 295261
  • stats Total Topics: 20164
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 122
  • stats Most Online: 955