collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 44
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Serapis??  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Thoth_dev

Serapis??
« on: February 24, 2018, 03:17:48 pm »
I have been studying the Greco Roman period of Alexandria for a while and during my studies, Serapis has always stood out to me. I have tried for years to gather a firm understanding of how he is to be seen. For example, is he a form of Pluto or is apis/Osiris? Or is he a totally unique God with a Hellenized- Egyptian theology and worship. Any help on this would be welcome.

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
Re: Serapis??
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 03:40:32 pm »
For example, is he a form of Pluto or is Apis/Osiris? Or is he a totally unique God with a Hellenized- Egyptian theology and worship? Any help on this would be welcome.

Em hotep nefer, Thoth-dev!

The answer is "all of the above." ;)

I highly suggest the works of H. S. Versnel. He discusses a great deal about the worship of Serapis and the attitudes His worshipers held toward and about him.

In the meantime, this brief encyclopedia entry by Edward Butler should help flesh-out the basics about Him. :)

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Thoth_dev

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 04:28:20 pm »
For example, is he a form of Pluto or is Apis/Osiris? Or is he a totally unique God with a Hellenized- Egyptian theology and worship? Any help on this would be welcome.

Em hotep nefer, Thoth-dev!

The answer is "all of the above." ;)

I highly suggest the works of H. S. Versnel. He discusses a great deal about the worship of Serapis and the attitudes His worshipers held toward and about him.

In the meantime, this brief encyclopedia entry by Edward Butler should help flesh-out the basics about Him. :)

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai

Thanks for the suggestions, which works by versnel deal with Serapis?

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut her Bast-Mut

Offline jackalspawn

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 01:37:08 pm »
(just skip this part if you want a straightforward answer) i don't believe in serapis particularly because he isn't a kemetic god(even though a lot of kemetics started to worship him) along with the fact that he was created by Ptolemy as a way to integrate Egyptians into Greek beliefs

but to answer your question, he is a combination of Hades and Pluto       
jackal

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 02:38:53 pm »
(just skip this part if you want a straightforward answer) i don't believe in serapis particularly because he isn't a kemetic god(even though a lot of kemetics started to worship him) along with the fact that he was created by Ptolemy as a way to integrate Egyptians into Greek beliefs

but to answer your question, he is a combination of Hades and Pluto       

More a combo of Wesir, the Apis Bull, and Zeus. 
Daughter of Bast-Mut | Servant of the Queen of Heaven

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3260
  • stats Total Posts: 298672
  • stats Total Topics: 20479
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 117
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything