collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 71
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Dietary choices and the Gods  (Read 6593 times)

Dietary choices and the Gods
« on: January 22, 2017, 01:00:59 pm »
Hello, everyone!

It's been a few years since I've been here and in that time I've gone vegan. Just wondering what people's thoughts are about vegetarianism, veganism, or other dietary choices in connection with Netjer. Obviously I can't offer any animal products and I wonder how limiting that will be. In Ancient Kemet, I imagine most of the common people would have eaten a great deal of plant based food but from what I've read, offerings would often consist of animal products because they were more expensive and didn't last as long, therefore making them more of a luxury. But I suppose it also depends on who you're offering to; has anyone found that particular Names either like or dislike animal products? Has anyone replaced milk with soy milk, or anything like that? And in terms of Names with animal associations, such as Hethert, would you refrain from offering her anything from a cow?

I thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss, but please forgive me if it's been talked about before! I couldn't find much from searching. Any other vegetarians or vegans here?

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
Re: Dietary choices and the Gods
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 01:53:11 pm »
I've eaten animal products when I've had to (necessity/convenience) but I don't really like eating them.  Meat weakens my immune system and I find the concept of eating dairy and eggs really strange.  I do have a lot of experience with cooking and baking vegan, raw vegan, and allergen friendly so if you want to talk about that, send me a PM. 

My Mother and Wesir are particular about animal products.  I can't give pork/fish to Aset and Wesir isn't fond of fish or anything aquatic really.  I know one Aset kid said Aset gave her a list of foods she wasn't allowed to eat. 

But for the record/answering your question, Aset likes just about anything high quality.  I've offered plant milks to Her and She's never complained about that.  Same goes for Bast.  I've made plant cheese as a devotional activity for Hethert but I don't have a close relationship with Her so I can't comment on what She likes. 

I've contemplated on offering seitan and fake meat to Bast but I'm afraid She'll get upset and show me that cynical side of Hers'
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:55:53 pm by Sekhepenaset »
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Asetemsatweret

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 03:21:30 pm »
Em hotep,
I'm also a son of Aset. I don't eat fish, and I know that my days with pork are numbered.

I actually think that if Names are associated with animals, it makes offerings from that animal more appropriate/special. Offering HetHert milk for example might be considered especially appropriate, but I could be remembering incorrectly. For example, the reason many children of Aset don't eat pork isn't because it's associated with Her, but rather because it is associated with Set. However, in antiquity you might find mummified Kites, which are associated with Her, presented as offerings to Her in temples. Also, honey was and still is a big offering, and offerings of fowl are often used in various formulae.

That being said, some of the most staple and well received offerings are simple and animal product free ie bread, beer, cool water etc. Also, it's possible for you to offer the heka of something in place of the actual thing. For example, if you are trying to follow a specific offertory formula and it requires an offering of honey,  you could say "I make an offering of honey" and give henu. That would be considered as good as giving the actual thing, but you wouldn't have to purchase animal products.

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Emsa

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 03:25:45 pm by Asetemsatweret »
-Emsa

"Aset [is] on the Great Throne"
Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Amun, HetHert-Sekhmet, her Seshat-Nit-NebtHet

Offline Riley.rifle

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 09:01:41 pm »
Not exactly the same but I feel as though my decision to avoid animal testing is in a similar vein. I do eat meat, so, obviously its not the same. I can't justify animal testing whereas eating meat is a bit different. But I do avoid products that have been tested on animals because of my sense of ma'at. Eating is necessary. Torturing animals is not. (I know we have issues with factory farming methods, but that's another discussion.) There is no real, good reason to test products meant for humans on other animals. But anyway. I'm not trying to harp and I understand people have numerous reasons for their decisions. But I feel like it was one decision I could make so I did.
🙌🌞
Dua Ra!
Dua Netjer!
Dua Netjeru!

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 11:36:26 pm »
Thanks for everyone's input! This is really interesting. :) And Riley.rifle, that is another issue I was going to bring up. My decision to give up animal products was based on ethical issues, and so I wonder whether factory farming is considered ma'at. Personally, I believe that although eating animals isn't intrinsically wrong, I can't see how the cruel way that they are factory farmed these days could ever be considered acceptable. But that's just my opinion, any other thoughts on this?

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 08:49:46 am »
Thanks for everyone's input! This is really interesting. :) And Riley.rifle, that is another issue I was going to bring up. My decision to give up animal products was based on ethical issues, and so I wonder whether factory farming is considered ma'at. Personally, I believe that although eating animals isn't intrinsically wrong, I can't see how the cruel way that they are factory farmed these days could ever be considered acceptable. But that's just my opinion, any other thoughts on this?

I do know of people who cannot eat plant products because their bodies cannot digest the fibers, sugars, or other components present in the plant and if they don't eat animal products, then they can't eat anything.  But those people are a rarity.  And for people who rely on whatever they can get to eat, I can't see their eating animal products as wrong. 

There was a huge fundraiser that happened awhile ago to help jumpstart a company that makes synthetic meat from animal sources.  It's meat but it's "grown"/cultured in a test tube.  Not taken from a slaughtered animal.  Evidently, their informational video says their meat is cheaper and cleaner than usual meat. 

But otherwise, yeah, i can't see much good in killing something if you don't need to. 
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Udjariyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:44:13 am »
Em Hotep,
For Me personally I do eat meat, however I do locally source the meat I buy from local butcher shops that have good reputations for how they handle their livestock, and such things. I do understand that, that isn't an option for a lot of people, but that is how I handle needing to eat meat, in the most ethical way that I can. In addition to that, I also avoid animal tested products.

Senebty
Udjari
My Tumblr and Wordpress
Daughter of Yinepu-Wepwawet
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert and Djehuty
Yinepu proceeds to(ward) me. Self care Yinepu Keeper

Offline Riley.rifle

• Remetj
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 02:04:02 am »
Udjari,

I wish I could do the same, but, honestly, I have a hard enough time eating as it is. But I really respect people who go that extra step to find out what happens to their food. Thank you for your input. People like you are the best examples in my opinion.
🙌🌞
Dua Ra!
Dua Netjer!
Dua Netjeru!

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 03:26:11 am »
I agree that it's important to think about where all our food comes from, and try to buy responsibly. I'd be curious to hear from more people who have been asked by particular Names to abstain from certain foods. So some Aset kids choose not to eat pork, any other Names that might request particular foods or diets?

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 11:43:35 am »
For a short period of time, Mom -Serqet- requested no garlic. I overloaded my system on it to the point I smelled of it constantly. Mom didn't like that so much in shrine, so She requested I cut it completely out of my diet for a few months.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

(They/them)

Sat Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Alexandros, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner for Serqet-Aset and Nehmet-Awai

Offline Senui-Iry-I

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 10:10:12 pm »
I was vegan before becoming Kemetic, but I feel it aligns with my religious beliefs perfectly. I think that the less suffering and death I cause in the world, the better. I get very strong approval from Hethert about it. I feel that Sobek-Ra would probably like a meat offering, but he knows that's not going to happen and he likes that I am strongly committed. I will offer him meat-like foods, Gardein makes some awesome meat substitutes that I will often offer my Father. He seems to enjoy their fishless filets a lot!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:13:16 pm by Senui-Iry-I »
Senui-iryi  (Iryi)
Sat Sobek-Ra her Hethert-Sekhmet,
Meryt Set her Yinepu-Wepwawet her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
𓆋 𓁥  𓁣 𓁢 𓋔
Sau apprentice

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 11:02:47 pm »
Sounds great, Senui-Iry-I! That's funny, I had thought that Hethert might approve. Makes sense that Sobek-Ra would like some meat, though.
Ra'awyserquet, that sounds tricky, I put garlic in everything! :P

Offline mross

• Remetj
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 12:42:36 pm »
I eat meat and animal products because my family does,  but I have restrictions on what I offer: No dairy or eggs, but honey is fine, meat only on special occasions, and with the right words recited/ethical guidelines followed. I feel like this has been asked of me but I can't really tell you who asked. Perhaps it was myself and my own moral sense.

Offline Akhyt

• Sema Kau Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 08:29:32 am »
I'm not vegan myself (mostly because of ADD related life management issues; will go vegan if/when it gets easier where I live in terms of produce availability etc.), and I occasionally offer meat and other animal products to the Names, but They don't specifically request animal products as offerings from me, as a rule - I don't think this will be an issue if/when I go vegan at some point. (Then again, it's kinda rare for me to get ANY specific offering requests these days, now that I think of it. I think my relationships with the Names focus on different things at the moment.)

In my experience, plant milk is favorably received at least by Tefnut, Hethert, Shu and Bast. Mom especially likes almond milk and rice milk with coconut. Shu actually seems to prefer plant milks over animal milk. Vegan cheeses have not been that much of a success so far, but that might also be because a lot of them I don't really like myself, so They go "if you find it so disappointing yourself, why give it to Us" :P

I know that Sekhmet asks meat from a lot of people, but not from me. I actually think She'd prefer it if I went vegan sooner than later, because I believe it's the right thing to do and She pushes me to act on my beliefs whenever possible. She understands, however, that it's not wise right now because staying healthy is more important.
Akhytsenu, "Two Are Flying"
Sat Tefnut, Ra-Heruakhety & Hekatawy I
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Shu, Djehuty & Nit-Nebthet-Seshat

Pronoun: they/them/their/themself

Offline Gezausenu

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 09:57:29 am »
I guess this is kind of the polar opposite of the spectrum, but as someone recovering from anorexia, I've had nothing but support from Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet to eat all the foods. I've gone through phases of recovery where I've tried to eat only "healthy" foods or been vegetarian or what-have-you, but . . . well, from Papa especially there's an incessant push to throw all those rules out the window and eat the things I've denied my body for one reason or another. So, sure, this means I offer all my meals to Everyone (Parents and Beloveds), and that means you've got cases where Mama's getting "junk food" or Papa's getting, I dunno, something I wouldn't usually think He'd like--but I've gotten nothing but love and approval from Them All. :)

(I've edited this to clarify that I'm not meaning to seem like I'm pushing back against anyone's dietary choices at all! Just that the Gods are wonderful Beings who can and do take our own life circumstances into account when asking things of us. <3)

Senebty!
Gezausenu.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 05:21:12 pm by Gezausenu »
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3160
  • stats Total Posts: 295160
  • stats Total Topics: 20150
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything