collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 62
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Set and anger  (Read 6534 times)

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
Set and anger
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:30:18 pm »
I've long felt that Set has been around me or been part of my life, maybe in my lineup if I were to ever have the RPD done, but I've never felt that I know or understand Him very well.  In a general way, perhaps, and I can see certain aspects of my life and certain events that He has probably influenced, but I can't sense His presence in a direct way (as if He were in the room with me) as I can with Bast and Sekhmet.  For the Set kids, what has been your experience of Him in particular as it relates to anger?  How does He react or respond when *you* are angry?  Have you ever been angry *at* Him, and if so, did you tell Him?  Does He get angry at *you*, and if so, how do you know when He is?  Perhaps most importantly, do you think He ever influences anything to deliberately *make* you angry in order to get you to act on something? 
Redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Offline elendarsilvermoon

• Remetj
Re: Set and anger
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 01:28:48 am »
I've found that his reaction when I'm angry is to throw a proverbial wrench in the gears temporarily to make me realize how ridiculous my previous anger was, or to realize that I already had it handled to begin with and was creating an issue where there wasn't one in the first place. While Bast was my initial guiding influence, I find that Set doesn't sugarcoat things to make them easier to handle. He's not always the most gentle with me, but fluffy nudging doesn't typically work for me. It's frustrating at times and I have quite a few "Set, dude, what the heck?" moments, but I realize he's just lighting a fire under me to get me to stop mucking around, or to push me through days when my mental illness is kicked in full force.

He may seem chaotic, but once you see the full picture of what he's trying to convey, it makes sense.

Offline Tjemsy

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 10:32:52 am »
So like, I'm super enthusiastic about how awesome Set is, because I think I just get him super much. As such, I've never been angry at him, and I don't think he's ever been angry with me.

Even though he's basically destroyed my life for the last few years, and I had a complete and total breakdown as a result. I was upset with the situation, but not with him; he's always been like the eye of the storm for me. Everything around him is chaos, but I can see him clearly. I know that destroying things For the Good is his thing, so I just assume that I'm going to come out of this all okay, or ultimately "better." Eventually. I've never got the sense that he enjoys destroying my life, which is, I think, why I've been able to Faith my way through so much.

He's very hands-off with me. I know he's working on Something, and I'm intuitive enough to be able to direct myself most of the time, and keep marching in roughly the correct direction. I've been a little disappointed when I hear about Set comforting his other devotees (I am a cuddle fiend, you see), but again, he's the eye of the storm. For whatever reason, he is not able to comfort me like that. Maybe I need to feel a sense of aloneness to respond to what's happening to me. If I should ever genuinely need comforting, and require some sort of divine intervention, I think he would send someone else to comfort me. Right now, he's got to keep on stormin'.

I do think he creates situations that force you to act, but he's not deliberately tried to piss me off, or get me angry with him personally. I think that when he's destroying stuff, he's very aware of the damage he's causing. I think that in my case, the storm has caused enough damage, and telling me to Deal With It will not help me, though it might help others. I remember, once upon a time when I was Getting Sad about everything still sucking, as I occasionally do, thinking something along the lines of "What am I supposed to do?!" And he said, "Survive."

In a way, I get the warm fuzzies from his hands-off-ness, despite that I am a cuddle bug and would like some fluff. It means, I think, that Set has faith that I can withstand his storm. That's quite lovely, in an unexpected sort of way.
Tjemsy - "Two Red Ones"

Sat Sekhmet her Set
Meryt Heru-wer, Bast, Wepwawet, Taweret, Nebthet,
 & Nefertem-Imhotep

Fedw Diviner | Tjemsy@kemet.org

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 01:47:35 pm »
I'm not a Set kid but I do have an interesting relationship with Him.

At first, Set was a God that I could not stand.  The very idea of Him was upsetting to me.  I didn't venerate or worship Him for the longest time because I thought He was on-par with the Christian devil....yeah, that bad.  So bad that I put Him down on my RPD questionnaire as a God Who frightened me. 

It wasn't until Wep Ronpet last year that I had a formal interaction with Him.  Some of my ideas of Him had changed by then, but still, limiting interaction with Him was best in my mind.  When I approached Him on His birthday, He was very pensive, quiet, and expansive with me.  Very Nut-like, actually.  Over time, I've gotten Him as being very teary and sad.  Never angry, only sad (for me).  I asked Him why He seemed so sad and He said it was because I didn't like Him.  He was hurt because I was someone He knew well.  Chaos and disorder has defined a lot of my life and it's shaped my personality and my experience of this world.  My experience of His domain had actually made me who I was.  As He said, "I was the One Who broke you". 

And to be honest, I'm still not totally on-board with Him.  But, He's still a God.  I do revere Him at necessary times and acknowledge the change He brings is needed and meaningful.  Hemet (AUS!) told me at my RPD that He's not evil.  If He was evil, He could not be a God.  He brings change into your life and despite other aspects of His nature, He is the One Who helps you get through it. 

But, I already focus on Aset as a Goddess of Survival.  That's my Aset.  Her means of survival and His are different.  I don't understand or relate to Set's because I only know Aset's.  But if you follow the myths, They really aren't that different in terms of Their circumstances.  Set had to kill His Brother because He was the only One strong enough to do it.  While it was for a good reason, He didn't want to and He didn't want to change or experience that.  But neither did Aset.  Both of Them have had very....unfair, lots in life.  I remember once Hemet commenting that They're so alike in some ways that They repel each other. 

But that's what I think. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:17:44 am by Sekhepenaset »
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 01:07:23 am »
While Bast was my initial guiding influence, I find that Set doesn't sugarcoat things to make them easier to handle. He's not always the most gentle with me, but fluffy nudging doesn't typically work for me.

That He doesn't sugarcoat things and isn't gentle is perhaps the one thing I feel I *do* understand clearly about Set.  And I'm like you- Bast was the first Name I knew and She has always been the opposite way with me- above all, I've always felt Bast wants me to be *happy* and comforted and to be able to see the good things in life-something I can't always do on my own.  It's easy to get very spoiled by that!  Sekhmet and Set both have a reputation for "tough love", but while I've felt that Sekhmet has been at the center of some things that have been extremely *painful* for me, it's been because there was no way for Her to make it otherwise for me.  I sense that the same kinds of things about the world that are painful for me *also* sadden Her.  I've felt that She has shared Her strength with me to help me through my most painful times and keep me focused on my goals and purposes.

But with Set, everything just feels different.  He seems to keep Himself distant from me, and maybe it's partially because of that, but I don't see Him as being prone to sadness or to much sympathy, and certainly not to softening the blow of anything.   I tend not to like that, and I get the feeling that He couldn't care less what I like or don't like.  I feel more "on my own" with regard to Set- like He isn't going to share His strength with me; He's just going to keep giving me things to deal with until I learn to find more strength within myself.  And he doesn't concern himself at all with how it makes me feel, and He's not going to discuss it with me. 

I did go back and read some old threads about Set after I posted, and saw some people talking about Set being amused by their anger.  I think I can see that completely.  That feels kind of right to me.  I can be angry all I want, but it won't change what's necessary. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 01:52:47 am by kathleen »

Offline Gezausenu

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 05:49:15 pm »
Like Tjemsy, I love my Papa, so I'm tempted to gush incoherently about Him, but.

Papa Set, for me, is a teacher. He's there to teach me when anger is needed, and what kind of anger: there's the blind rage that leaves you hurling something breakable at the wall, okay, but that doesn't really *do* much, doesn't fix a situation, just leaves you with lots of nasty shards to clean up. He's the one to teach me when to use my anger in a constructive way, rather than destructive (but that might be because I tend to turn my anger into self-destruction by default rather than finding ways to use it purposefully in the world, to repurpose that anger into something else). I tend to go through cycles where I destroy all my artwork (hence not having a portfolio, alas)--and He's in that anger as well.

And He's the one to teach me that, however painfully, sometimes things need to be broken, in order to be refashioned anew. Sometimes *we* need to be broken. In fact, that's one of the clearest things He's said to me, when He first approached me by Name and recognizable form, pre-RPD: "If you're afraid of the you that you'll become, let Me remake you."

Papa Set, for me, *is* anger, but that's just one facet to Him. He's in our own anger, and our pain; He hurts when we hurt, and shows us all the sides of rage that can lead to creation and destruction both. I've heard other people say that Set loves us the most deeply of the Names, and I know it's all subjective but I think there's something to be said for that.

As for your other questions--have I ever been mad at Him? No. Much like Tjemsy said, Papa Set's my rock. And my comfort (yeahhh, I'm one of those strange ones who gets the cuddles, for whatever reason He might have). I know that no matter how messed up or chaotic or plain hard things get, however much I feel like giving up, or taking the pain and anger out on myself, He's there--He's that barrier between myself and total self-destruction. Of course, I've said to Him, in various ways, and . . . colorfully . . . "What *are* you doing?!" . . . but I can't think of a time I've ever actually been angry at Him.

And has He ever been mad at me? Disappointed, yes, but again in a very "I"m trying to teach you a lesson, why aren't you learning it, child?!" sort of way. Usually this is when I don't listen to Him, if He's sending very clear messages that I need to Stop and Reconsider, Turn Around, etc. etc., but that's never been outright anger. I've felt Him angry before, but not at me. It's also a twofold thing: obviously, He appreciates that we're willing to push boundaries, even with Him, to question, to object, to use that good ol' thing called Free Will to our advantage. But sometimes, even He'll give me this look--"Why the hell would you do that, kiddo?"

. . . but no, He's never been angry. I'm sure someday He will be, honestly, because it's naive to expect that that won't ever happen. Maybe part of why He takes the approach He does with me--that of a teacher, with a snarky, raunchy attitude and a helluva lot of love--is because sharp emotions like anger and rage trigger my PTSD . . . Which is all to say, I guess, that even though mythologically Papa Set gets a lot of kudos for being, well, angry, He's also very wise in how He shows that anger to us.

At least in my experience, of course. UPG, Your Mileage May Vary, etc. <3

Anyway. I don't know if any of this is useful. Thank you for asking this, Kathleen. Truthfully, life and stress have kind of put a damper on my worship and my experience of the Gods . . . I think I needed this, to restate some of the wonderful things Papa Set's done for me. <3 Thank you!

Senebty!
Gezausenu.

PS: Papa Set's also been hanging around when I play video games. A lot. Like, all the time. And this isn't the same kind of anger by any stretch of the imagination, but oh boy is He there when I'm raging against some stupid-hard boss fight. ;)
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

Offline Tasedjebbast

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 07:13:55 pm »
It's interesting reading these.  Set doesn't strike me as an angry God at all.  Nor has He had much to teach me about anger.  He teaches me about doing what is necessary no matter how hard it is.  And He is love.  So much love.

It is Sekhmet who has taught me the most about anger. 
Daughter of Bast-Mut & Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, and Aset
Devotee of Aphrodite

Offline Gezausenu

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 07:29:39 pm »
*nods to Taji* Ah! I should clarify too that it's rare I see Papa Set as an angry figure, honestly, except when He needs to be. I guess I was approaching this from the context of, "When anger's there, where's Set?"

Mostly, for me as well, He's this deep, intense, fierce-ferocious Love. <3
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 08:36:51 am »
Em Hotep, Everyone!

My response may not be so eloquent, but I would also like to add that I've never seen this angry side of Set directed at me.  If anyone should aim to hurt me, he will be angry about that, but never angry at me.  I also never get the feeling he throws things in my life to test me or make me grow.

Those things that test me aren't of the Gods doing.  Mostly, they are the result of isfet, or illness, or any other natural thing.  The things that test me may not be of my doing, either.  Of course, bad choices don't help.  But even in the event of a bad choice, Set will just say, "Have you learned anything?  What can you do about it?"  Rather, Set is there to lend me strength so that I can overcome the trials.  When I make a little growth in the process, I feel his great pride in me, and feel encouraged to go on keeping on.

Dua Set for all the strength he's given me through out the years! (And it's been a lot.  <3 )

Senebty,
Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 09:37:15 am »
Em hotep nefer, Kathleen! :D

For the Set kids, what has been your experience of Him in particular as it relates to anger?

His "anger" that I have any knowledge of isn't anything like human emotion. Indeed, I wouldn't call it "anger." He possesses an aura of terror and Divine wrath. He exudes pure power and might. He is that "Smiting God" that goes down to the roiling sea threatening to overturn the world and the Divine Order (Yamm), and establishes His Supreme Authority over it by His storm-weapon and His terrible voice, as per Egyptian adaptations of the Levantine "Baal Cycle." He is like the tempest described in the Tempest Stele of Ahmose (c. 1530 BCE): blackening the sky, quenching every torch, and washing-away the works of men from the face of the Earth when the wishes of Amun-Re imy Waset of the "Living Heru" are not fulfilled to the detriment of ma'at.

Unlike human anger, Divine wrath relents when Order and "the plans of the Gods" are adhered to and complete themselves unhindered. Unlike people, [God] has a limitless capacity to forgive and to make-flourish even in the wake of extreme and deliberate disobedience on a large scale. As deeply unpleasant as it is for human beings to endure, Divine wrath isn't about wounded egos, spite, and revenge as it is with human anger. Rather, it is a tool of Order and instruction in Order.

That is the way it is with Set, in my understanding of Him.

How does He react or respond when *you* are angry?

Personally, I have no experience with that. [God] doesn't comment on my thoughts and emotions, because [God] doesn't live in my head, nor does He exist for me only.

That being said, if I were violent or angry in such a way and to such a disruptive degree that it displeased Him, made me unfit to be in His presence, and/or jeopardized the fate of my soul, I fully trust and expect He would find a way or several to let me know He was not happy with my actions. I trust and expect He'd demand that I reform myself "NOW" and not an instant later. But, I know when I have been / am being less-than-good and less-than-tactful, and it doesn't take [God] having to tell me so. That's what having a conscience, self-awareness, and a willingness to improve oneself are for. :P

Have you ever been angry *at* Him, and if so, did you tell Him?

No. It's not in me to be angry at [God], and I see no reason to be. I may sometimes confide in Set what I might be angry at and why, that I don't like being angry, and how having lingering anger or resentment ultimately makes me sad, but that anger or resentment has absolutely nothing to do with Set, or any other God. It has everything to do with human fallibility, human impulses, and human choices, and above all, my own human trouble making complete internal peace with the fact that it is impossible for a Cosmos to be comprised of only "good" notions and "good" phenomena.

Does He get angry at *you*, and if so, how do you know when He is?

Like any deity, Set can be displeased with even His most devout Shemsu(t). There's a vast, vast difference between being the subject of Divine wrath, and being the subject of a God's displeasure for, say, neglecting that God's rites for the better part of a month, or conducting oneself poorly in the world, or violating a cult-specific bwt of a God. Divine wrath, insofar as I currently understand it, is reserved for forces and beings intrinsically evil and/or that collectively and knowingly defy the Imperatives of the Gods in ways that critically jeopardize ma'at.

If I'm neglecting something -- for instance, if I'm not giving Him offerings as regularly as He would have me do -- He'll send a dream. There was a dream about a strand of black pearls and an animate icon of Him I had years ago to that effect. Or I'll get the impression that I'm not doing enough, will perform divination or have it performed for me, and get a better sense of what He wants out of me in particular.

I make a lot of art in my down-time, and much of that art is for Set. When I get flooded with (or am reminded of) ideas for new Set pieces, or get overwhelming inspiration for works-in-progress, I take that as His commanding me to perform for and adore Him. Neglecting to do that work as inspired and instructed is doubtless a source of minor displeasure for Him. But not anger. Not spite. Not anything without remedy or forgiveness.

Perhaps most importantly, do you think He ever influences anything to deliberately *make* you angry in order to get you to act on something?

I don't believe [God] goes out of [God]'s way to provoke anger. We may feel anger when subjected to big and unexpected changes in our lives, or when made aware of certain, hard truths about ourselves and the world around us courtesy of [God] or anything else, etc. But that's not [God] "making" us angry. That's us allowing ourselves to choose suboptimal responses to various problems, internal and external. That's us having knee-jerk reactions to circumstances difficult or unpleasant for us to face-up to. That's us going through a kind of grief-experience, and sometimes even a self-loathing experience. Grief and self-loathing born of anger (or anything else) aren't often motivators for anything good, in my experience -- people can fall into oubliettes of despair and self-pity, and wind up accomplishing absolutely nothing that way.

Hopefully that makes sense. :P

Senebty!
Sedjfai
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:38:54 am by Sedjfaiemitui »
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 12:56:15 am »
We may feel anger when subjected to big and unexpected changes in our lives, or when made aware of certain, hard truths about ourselves and the world around us courtesy of [God] or anything else, etc. But that's not [God] "making" us angry. That's us allowing ourselves to choose suboptimal responses to various problems, internal and external. That's us having knee-jerk reactions to circumstances difficult or unpleasant for us to face-up to. That's us going through a kind of grief-experience, and sometimes even a self-loathing experience.

This in particular is giving me some food for thought, thank you.  And thank you to everyone else for your thoughtful responses. 

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 01:01:55 am »
   Thank you for asking this, Kathleen. Truthfully, life and stress have kind of put a damper on my worship and my experience of the Gods . . . I think I needed this, to restate some of the wonderful things Papa Set's done for me. <3 Thank you! 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and yes, everything everyone has said has been useful.  I'm glad my question was helpful to you, too!  :)

Offline elendarsilvermoon

• Remetj
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 01:56:43 pm »
I wouldn't even consider it anger in my circumstances. More an "I have a lesson for you in this and I am going to make this as blunt as possible."

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 02:22:26 am »
Just wanted to add that I have been meditating on all of this and continuing to reach out to Set, and I feel that I have finally had something of a breakthrough- for the first time ever, I was finally able to "hear" Him briefly!  And He has cleared up a number of things for me.  I understand now that He isn't typically going to be as accessible to me as Bast and Sekhmet have always been, but when something is vitally important for me to learn or understand, He will be there, especially if I am not heeding Bast or Sekhmet as I should be.  I understand now that, in my relationship with Him, I am to *listen* far more than I speak, kind of a "you speak when you are spoken to" kind of situation.  A bit stern, perhaps, but I *had* expected Him to be angry or displeased with me, and now I understand that He is not, after all.  But He has been silent for a long time largely due to my confusion over my relationship with another Name (Djehuty) and my attempts to cultivate a stronger bond with Djehuty than I now believe is meant to be.  And I understand now that while no, He's not about *comforting* me (someone else here said that He'd be likely to send another Name to do that, and I agree), He is nevertheless a source of strength in that He will remind me of the strength I already have (but often like to tell myself that I don't). 

Just really kind of excited about this because it is the most meaningful and significant experience I have had to date with *any* name other than Bast and Sekhmet, and I had kind of reached the point of despairing that Set would ever talk to me at all. 

Offline Padememheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 11:30:26 am »
Em Hotep Kathleen.  First, I'm glad you finally made a connection Set.  He is an awesome god, of course I'm a bit biased since He's in my lineup.  But nonetheless, He truly is an awesome god.  For me, I've never actually felt Him be angry at me, and I try not to be angry at him or anyone else in my lineup because I know they're just trying to teach me a lesson that I need to learn.  Also, Set is very much a chaotic good type of god.  "He believes in goodness and right but has little use for laws and regulations. He hates it when people try to intimidate others and tell them what to do. He follows his own moral compass, which, although good, may not always agree with that of society."

In my experience He's only ever been stern with me, never actually angry with me.  One time he sent a message that was quite stern "Magic is not something to be dicked around with."  But overall, Set has been the quiet type of god when dealing with me.  I know He's there, but He tries I think, not to be too chaotic in my case, and won't throw anything my way unless He truly believes I can handle it and survive/mature with the situation.  I get more of the bad boy type of Set, but with good intentions.  But when He needs to be, He is usually as elendarsilvermoon said, He will be blunt.  He hates sugarcoating.

But again, every person experiences Him and the others in different ways.  What I experience may be completely different from what you'll experience with Him.
"When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - Futurama's "Godfellas"

Padememheru ~The One Mentioned by Heru~
Sa Heru-sa-Aset (or Heru-Nedjitef)
Mery Set, Aset-Serqet, his Nut

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2996
  • stats Total Posts: 288070
  • stats Total Topics: 19528
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217