Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 77
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Set and anger  (Read 6158 times)

Offline Ituiemhat

• Shemsu
Re: Set and anger
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2019, 09:02:07 am »
Ah, my Father. Set is one that I associate with anger, but in the ways of healing. He knows the heart in ways that are so intricate and well-versed, and has been the forefront of my healing in the past year in many ways.
I used to be scared of Him, you know. He approached me as a brand new polythiest, when I didn't know who He was, and I was afraid. He respected that. And when I was ready, he led me in gently by the hands and into an embrace. He teaches me to deal with anger through action, though understanding why I feel the way that I do. Also to play "Devil's Advocate" when I'm getting consumed by my desire for justice so that I do not become truly blind to all sides of the situation.
Set is a powerful, necessary force. While he can "bring down the Tower" (if you're a fan of tarot symbology), He has also been (and continues to be) a kind, and great source of comfort for me when I have had so much pain, I wasn't sure what I would do. He is of great love and growth, and I wouldn't be who I am today without His guidance, I think... even if sometimes it's a bit unorthodox. ;)

As I think of with Him, "Go through things, grow through things," and "there can be no flowers without the rain."

<3
𓁛 Sat Ra her Set 𓁣
☀️ "My Two Fathers Are At The Prow" ☀️
Meryt Djehuty, Renenutet, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Sekhmet-Hethert, her Heru-Wer
Fedw Diviner ║ Sau Apprentice ║ Shemsu Liaison

Offline EclipseQueen

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2019, 03:42:13 pm »
Set is, to me, a perfect reminder that it's okay to be upset at times. There's a reason why we have those emotions, after all. The reality is life isn't sunshine and rainbows all the time and we don't have to keep lying to ourselves that everything is "just fine" when it isn't. He's sure to let us know that we shouldn't act out of anger other take it out on anyone, including ourselves. Rather, He let's us know that we need to feel those emotions to understand them and let them go in a healthy manner.
A mind guided by Tehuty, who uses wisdom to guide their words. A heart crafted by Nut, who uses love to guide their actions. A body built by Yinepu, who uses perseverance to guide their way.
The Netjer live within you, always love yourself.

Offline Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2019, 02:28:22 am »
Set, at least in my experience with Him, knows anger. He knows pain. He also knows how to gut it out when they come, to persist, no matter what. He has shown me that anger and its strength are formidable weapons, but has allowed me to see the sweet spot between anger and serenity; where discipline and focus are in control. Perfectly.
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Hekatawy Alexandros I (AUS); Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, and Heru wer

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu,Sed/Fundraising Team

Offline Sarytsenuwi

• Rev Kaitlyn, Ordained Clergy - Sema Kau Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 06:31:38 am »
I’ve taken much of this post from thoughts I developed throughout a recent conversation, but thought they might be worth sharing here.

So I think part of the reason I haven't replied to this thread for a bit  was that, for me, anger just isn't the right word for my personal understanding of His reactions.  As Tjemsy noted here back in 2017 – if Set is destroying things, it is for a purpose, and a positive (or at the very least necessary!) one at that. What he does may look like anger, but (forgive me for briefly putting my counselor hat on here) anger is generally a secondary emotion. We perceive someone's emotion as anger when they lash out, but that's not the root of it, right? They're more likely embarassed/ashamed, overwhelmed, grieving, frightened, etc. He's too purposeful, too deliberate and calculated, in my experience of Him, to rely on the secondary factor of anger.

Now granted, yes, historically, we can see how that association exists.

Sedjfai earlier gave an excellent explanation of Set’s “anger” as divine wrath, so I won’t repeat overmuch but add my agreement there. We also have all of the various depictions of him as Sutekh "the drunken one" or discussion of His being loud, His roaring, all things associated with a lack of control and potentially conceptualized as anger.

And yet, personally, I would argue that even this behavior is a necessary thing. He provides the required contrast so that we can better understand what control looks like, He is loud so that we can understand the power of quiet. I see all of it as very much His deliberate choice to be the opposite so that there is balance, whether it is opposition in behavioral traits that we can learn from, the opposition to a nephew who needed to be tested in proof He would be strong enough as King, or the opposition to a brother who had to die so that the dead would have a King, have protection and structure.

And in all of that – I personally believe He is nothing but in control of Himself. He is and does these difficult (sometimes awful!) things, we can't ignore that or claim otherwise, but what does it mean for such things to happen within Ma'at? For me, I think it's deliberate, and I think it's *part* of maintaining that sacred balance. There are always consequences, and He bears them, and thus we have stories of what happens when you are "too loud" or "too brash" or "too" [insert other anger-associated reaction here.]

To the other points raised with the original post: I've never been angry with Him, though I have given Him my anger, because He explicitly gave me leave to do so. He reminded me that He was strong enough to withstand it (of course He was, He’s a god, but I still needed to hear that permission!) and I was much better off for having had the outlet. But even this was not anger *at* Him, so much as releasing anger *to* Him, and healing in the wake of it.

I don't believe He's ever been angry with me, though there has been disappointment (usually when I'm beating myself up over something stupid for the umpteenth time or wallowing in self-doubt. He has no time for that, and I’ve been far better off for it!)

I do think He can be... I'm still struggling for the right word here. So, in my experience, injustice bothers Him deeply. He is the god of the outcast, the misunderstood, and so He will defend them. And He can direct a whole lot of intensity at those who would hurt those people who live outside of positions of power. But even then... it's not an out of control sort of anger. It's a purposeful, cold, "You will not touch them."

The closest I've ever felt Him come to "anger" was when I first met Him, and He learned of how my ex was treating me in various ways. But even in that situation? I don't believe that the anger was really His, so much as it was Him opening something in me to realize how hurt I was, so that I could finally leave. I think the anger was mine. I think He just helped me find it so that I could break *myself* out of an extremely toxic situation.

If we're operating from the idea that none of the gods want to hurt us, but that they love us, and want us to do well (even when growth is difficult or painful), I struggle to see them ever single-handedly *creating* anger within us that wouldn’t have otherwise existed. But pointing it out? Making us look at it more clearly, so that we can then get to that root issue, whether it's hurt, frustration, grief, etc.? Absolutely.

Honestly, I believe Set can be something of a divine scalpel in that regard. Getting right at the heart of the problem with surgical precision… but yeah, even the most precise surgery hurts, even the most careful surgery has some recovery time. And sometimes there are complications that arise from surgery, or other things that have to change drastically in our lives because of what we need to fully rest and heal. None of these lessons around discovering our own anger are easy, and they are most certainly not comfortable if you allow any god into your life and They start pointing out all the rough bits you've been avoiding for years. In my experience, Set’s an expert there, and this is all very much tied up in how I personally understand His epithet, “Master Physician of Upper Egypt.”

So yes. It can be really hard to suss out where anger’s coming from, right? And I suspect too, people’s relationships with a specific Name can be impacted by other people they meet who blame their anger (and the behavior resulting from it) on a specific god. I know from my own experience I’ve met several people over the years who act a certain, negative way, and then claim that a Name (often Set, sometimes other deities) made them do it.

So I’m throwing my thoughts out there for consideration, that again – maybe it’s not so much His anger, but the anger we are already experiencing, or the anger we will discover once we confront the injustices in our own lives, that He is helping us to work through and learn from. In tandem with that process, I like to think that He offers what we need most: a warm, solid, secure oasis within His arms, the fierce encouragement to stand on our own feet, or even the more strict, firm command of a general I’ve heard some describe when they speak of Him.

He’s a complex Name for sure, but who better to help us tackle one of our most complex feelings?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 06:42:32 am by Sarytsenuwi »
Rev. Sarytsenuwi
(Standardbearer of my Two | Porta-estandarte de meus Dois)
Sat Set her Bast | Meryt Heru-wer, Hethert-Nut, her Heqat
W'ab Nekhen Medetsen net Nekh | Fedw for Set and Bast

Offline Yinepuemsaes

• Shemsu
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 02:04:28 pm »
And in all of that – I personally believe He is nothing but in control of Himself.

Exactly. 

Here is my experience with something like that.  A little over two years ago, I was in a difficult, unfair situation, and I was unhappy and angry about it.  Very angry...like, burning with rage type angry.  But I remained calm, because I knew I was a better person than those who'd put me in that situation (and who I was forced to interact with), but I absolutely refused to sink to their level.  I think that's how I first attracted the attention of Set.  I got the distinct impression he was impressed, that a human could feel such raging emotion but didn't lose their temper, and instead channeled it into being the "better man", as it were.  I had an image in my mind that I associated with strength during that time that seemed to keep popping up, but I didn't think too much on it until last year, when I was reading these boards and I came to a discussion of Set.  That image popped into my head again, as if to formally introduce me to him, and I realized that I must have caught his attention before.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 02:06:15 pm by Yinepuemsaes »
Yinepuemsaes - "Yinepu is her protection"
Sat Yinepu
Meryt Bast

Offline ASH

• Remetj
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2019, 01:00:49 pm »
I'm sorry this is so late in comparison to the other posts.  I feel that Set is my father also.  I have never been angry with him.  I feel he is a 'hands off' teacher allowing, no expecting, me to find my way with minimal guidance.  If is he perceived as 'angry' that is not correct.  It is strength.  Strength is what He is.  If you have anger turn that 'energy' into productivity.  His anger is the storms of the desert which as you know actually brings benefit to the desert (think cycle of nature).  Strength is how He prevails and He expects us to find this in ourselves.  Through Him I have found strength to do what I need to do regardless of chronic, constant pain.  I thank Him for leading by example and showing me the way to channel strength and anger into positive, beneficial productivity.
"He who has imagination without learning has wings but no feet."

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2937
  • stats Total Posts: 286214
  • stats Total Topics: 19408
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything