collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 24
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: What does being a KO member mean to you?  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Teritui

• Shemsu
What does being a KO member mean to you?
« on: May 05, 2017, 07:28:24 pm »
Hello everyone :)

So, it's basically just as the title says. What does being a KO member mean to you?
Teritui: I respect my Two Fathers
Daughter of: Ptah-Sokar-Wesir and Heru-wer
Beloved of: Sekhmet-Hethert, Set and Taweret
Sau apprentice

Offline Khamheru

• Shemsu
Re: What does being a KO member mean to you?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 08:04:32 pm »
Em hotep.

Good question. When I knew Kemetic Orthodoxy I thought I wouldn't be invited to the course, so I didn't pay much attention at the first time. I was looking for a religious path, willing to know and honor God, so my life would make sense, and I think the netjeru chose to receive me. I never was interested in kemetic culture before, but I believe this culture appeared and embrace me when I was lost, in need of guidance and support. I entered here with my heart open, willing to learn and grow as a non perfect human that I am. To be a Kemetic Orthodoxy member means a gift I received in this life to carry with good intentions and honor. But, honestly, sometimes I feel dumb knowing that I could do better.
Heru-wer
Aset & Wesir & Set

Offline Rev. Tjesi

• W'ab (priest) - Web Assistant
  • Administrator
What does being a KO member mean to you?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 09:25:14 pm »
The meaning of Kemetic Orthodoxy has changed for me many times over the years. It was a fascinating, historical, non-dogmatic, non "of the book" religion when I started. I loved it, though my own limitations (baggage, childhood training, etc) kept me from truly feeling connected. I then had a period of wanting to be more involved, but not open to most people about it.  Then I went to retreat. Ever since then my relationship to the gods and to the other members has deepened. My involvement has increased and it truly is my spiritual home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rev Tjesi
Tjeset Merut her Reshut net Hethert
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet
meryt Wesir

Shemsu name: Awibemhethert (Ibi)

Offline Padjaiemweru

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 10:51:55 am »
To me, being a member of the Kemetic Orthodox faith means being part of a community of worshipers of Netjer. Even when my own abilities are lacking, or stymied by personal health problems, I know the community here has my back, as do the gods.

I could ramble on a lot more about this all, but sometimes succinctness is better :D
Padjaiemweru
The Great Ones provide (for) me
Son of Bast-Mut and Heru-wer
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Seshat-Nit-Nebthet, and Set

Offline Ineqaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 01:43:31 pm »
Being a part of Kemetic Orthodoxy brings me comfort.  I know I have people who I can reach out to or ask advice from.  It means I can ask for prayers or pray for those who are in need.  It has brought me closer to the Netjer and Netjeru.  I feel more supported spiritually than I have in a long time.
Ineqaset (Aset unites, Aset gathers)
daughter of Aset-Serqet
beloved of Djehuty and Bes

Offline Bastmuttepta

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 08:10:53 pm »
For me, being a member of Kemetic Orthodoxy means I'm not alone. Ever. That may seem like a simple statement, but living with depression/anxiety/panic makes that feeling of "aloneness" unbelievably overwhelming at times. Being KO means that Netjer, my Akhu, and my family in the HoN are always with me. There is always someone who cares what happens to me, and who would miss me if I was gone. That works both ways, though- the same way that collectively those entities are there for me, I need to also do my best to be there and show attention, care, love, and support to all of them.
Bastmuttepta - "Bast-Mut since the beginning; Bast-Mut survives; Bast-Mut perpetuates" | Sat Bast-Mut her Nisut (AUS) Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Serqet-Aset, Mafdet, Sobek, her Ptah-Sokar-Wesir | Fedw Diviner for Bast-Mut

Offline Meresinepu

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 12:21:44 am »
Hello Cinder,

It's a good question :) 

For me personally ...I found the Temple after about 20 years of looking.   I tried a lot of different ones before I found this one.  After being here for almost 20 years now I can't imagine being anywhere else.   I never thought I would find an actual functioning Egyptian temple but here it is ...and its a living breathing community as well.

Being K.O. means that I have a support group of like minded people who may not believe exactly as I do in regard to the Egyptian deities but it's very close and each of us is respectful of other opinions and experiences and beliefs.   I feel this is a safe place to ask questions and learn along side my peers.   

I've made lifelong friends, some of which I've known for as long as I've been with the House. I feel so fortunate to have found my spiritual home and a way to relate to the Divine in my own terms ..I've never been so connected to Nature and the Divine and its a blessing.

I wanted something that could offer me a community.  I also wanted a group that could offer me the opportunity to learn and to serve the Gods.  I've had a dream of serving Netjer for as long as I can remember in a very specific field.  I get to fulfil a promise I made prior to joining back in 1997.  The House has both an online and in person community of loving, caring and giving individuals.   I am proud of my beliefs and I have brought my children and my grandchildren up with knowledge of the Gods and the services I do.

As I said, I can't imagine being anywhere else.   Have a great upcoming week!

Senebty!
Rev. Meresinepu [She loves Yinepu] Weptesmerutef {Her Mission is his Love}
Sat Yinepu/Wepwawet, meryt Amun her Bast her Aset her HetHert

"Gone am I, caught by the Underworld, yet cleansed and alive in the beyond." (from an Old Kingdom funerary text)

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 03:34:01 am »
Em hotep nefer, Cinder! :D

Being a member of the Kemetic Orthodox Temple, and above all being a Shemsu, means a lot of things to me.

As for the others who have chimed-in before me, it means being part of something much larger than myself. It means "mattering," but not in a self-important and conceited way, and having a group of people matter to me who come from all kinds of backgrounds and perspectives I might never have known or cared about otherwise.

It means cultivating and expressing humility and gratitude. Not because "I have to be humble and grateful, they said so, just because," but on account that I've been given plenty of good reasons by the actions of others here.

It means sharing knowledge and learning together. Apart from the Mysteries of saqu and initiations, etc., which by their nature are only for the people present in that moment, there is no deliberate mystification (read: obfuscation) of knowledge. There's no "academic stonewalling," and there's no "I don't have to explain anything to you, I don't need to show you where my information comes from, it's not my job to educate you" nonsense going on. It's pretty "democratized" and down-to-earth here in that sense, and I find that supremely good.

It means always having something to work for, even when it seems many other things in everyday life aren't worth working for or "don't exist" to work for.

It means having a profound responsibility, to the Netjeru and to other people here sworn to Them, one that I choose again each and every day. It's something I treasure as much as my marriage to my husband, and, unlike my marriage to my husband, isn't something death can separate from me.

It means having structure and having a set of defining rites and traditions, but not at the expense of some amount of individual freedom of variation. That's not something I'd be able to derive from a purely solitary practice, and I am very fond of the structure Kemetic Orthodoxy provides. At the same time, I don't have to drop absolutely everything I do and conform rigidly and unthinkingly, without question.

It means being able to practice Egyptian religion(s) in the first place. It's not a religion (or rather, set of religions) a person can truly fulfill in total isolation. Ma'at is a communitarian moral-ethical ideal and aesthetic, after all.

It means that, even though as a Shemsu I put the Temple and the Netjeru first, I don't have to deny other Gods and other ways of worship. Kemetic Orthodoxy is not a "one-way-only-ism" and it doesn't try in vain to force the rest of the world to conform to it. It appreciates the plurality and diversity of existence, of the Gods and all the people in existence. It appreciates that, in the best way possible, not everything is for everyone, but there's something for everyone.

It means keeping the Netjeru I love with all my heart relevant. It means helping to expand Their worship again, but not in anything like a proselytizing "if you don't do it our way, you are wrong and you are a doodyface" manner. It means being able to spread love, something worth loving and something good, in a world that hurts so badly for love and worthy things . . . as wishy-washy as that sounds. :P

It means not being forced to choose between religious and moral-ethical options I don't really believe in. I have thought about joining other religious denominations before, but it always involved compromising the beliefs I came into through reading and experience. For Kemetic Orthodoxy, that never had to happen. That's among the reasons how I knew Kemetic Orthodoxy was ultimately right for me. :)

It means yet more to me than what I wrote here, but this is already too lengthy a response, so I will stop here. ;D

Senebty!
Sedjfai
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 03:42:37 am by Sedjfaiemitui »
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3306
  • stats Total Posts: 299274
  • stats Total Topics: 20533
  • stats Total Categories: 8