collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 68
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Subtle differences  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Riley.rifle

• Remetj
Subtle differences
« on: May 16, 2017, 12:25:12 am »
Em hotep,
I'm trying to get a better feeling for certain syncretized Names. Particularly the subtle differences between Bast-Mut, Hethert-Mut and Sekhmet-Mut. And also the differences between Ptah, Ptah-Sokar and Ptah-Sokar-Wesir. I was wondering if anyone that works with these Names could tell me the kind of nuances they get from Them?
Senebty,
Leaha
🙌☀
Dua Ra!
Dua Netjer!
~_^

Online Tawa'ubastmut

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
Re: Subtle differences
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 03:58:43 pm »
I hope you don't mind me pushing this thread up since I feel it requires some responses.  It's an interesting question! 

-Mut adds a lot of royalty and queenliness to the specific Name, for one.
Sat Bast-Mut her Hekatawy-Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Mafdet, Heru-sa-Aset, her Djehuty
☥ Sau Apprentice ║ Fedw ║ Fundraising Team ☥
www.BastMut.org

Offline Taswauyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 06:07:14 pm »
Hotep! I've got some (UPG) stuff on differences between Sekhmet and Sekhmet-Mut!

Pre-divination, I worked/talked with regular Sekhmet (or possibly just Sekhmet-Mut showing as regular Sekhmet since I wasn't familiar with the -Mut version). She is fire and rage and blood. She's a bit motherly, for sure, but very much the mother Who's ready to throw down at the drop of a pin. A hair-trigger, frequently. The goddess sent to smite humanity in Ra's name. Claws and teeth and roaring - a true warrior! A fiery, raging, inferno of a presence.

Sekhmet-Mut, I've found, is a lot different. Calm, steady voiced, pragmatic, measured, tempered... She's got the underlying smolder of embers in Her still, for sure, but She keeps them just smoldering. She's in control of Her rage - She knows it's usually not the best course of action, and saves it for the few times it is. But She's no less big or intense than regular Sekhmet - it's just that Sekhmet-Mut has the intensity that comes from wisdom and age and authority. She's huge - "The Queen of the Gods" - She has the presence of the infinite and intangible. Regular Sekhmet, of course, is equally infinite but seems more tangible - She's fire and rage. Sekhmet-Mut is patient rage, burning eyes with a calm smile, a mother Who knows what you're capable of and wants you to do your best and no less. "Hold your head high," She's told me, "you are beloved by a Queen. You will act like it."
Meset Yinepu
Meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Hethert-Nut, Bast, her Mafdet
“The Journey of Yinepu"
fedw diviner | sau apprentice

Offline André Siano

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 09:41:18 pm »
Hotep! I've got some (UPG) stuff on differences between Sekhmet and Sekhmet-Mut!

Pre-divination, I worked/talked with regular Sekhmet (or possibly just Sekhmet-Mut showing as regular Sekhmet since I wasn't familiar with the -Mut version). She is fire and rage and blood. She's a bit motherly, for sure, but very much the mother Who's ready to throw down at the drop of a pin. A hair-trigger, frequently. The goddess sent to smite humanity in Ra's name. Claws and teeth and roaring - a true warrior! A fiery, raging, inferno of a presence.

Sekhmet-Mut, I've found, is a lot different. Calm, steady voiced, pragmatic, measured, tempered... She's got the underlying smolder of embers in Her still, for sure, but She keeps them just smoldering. She's in control of Her rage - She knows it's usually not the best course of action, and saves it for the few times it is. But She's no less big or intense than regular Sekhmet - it's just that Sekhmet-Mut has the intensity that comes from wisdom and age and authority. She's huge - "The Queen of the Gods" - She has the presence of the infinite and intangible. Regular Sekhmet, of course, is equally infinite but seems more tangible - She's fire and rage. Sekhmet-Mut is patient rage, burning eyes with a calm smile, a mother Who knows what you're capable of and wants you to do your best and no less. "Hold your head high," She's told me, "you are beloved by a Queen. You will act like it."

Woow now you help me understand why I interect with Sekhmet and she is well Sekhmet-Mut in reallity!
May Ma'At always prevai in my heart,body,mind and spirit.

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 03:09:08 am »
I don't work with most of these Gods particularly heavily, but I know Bast-Mut and have known Sekhmet-Mut in the past. It's a similar situation to when I was trying to figure out if the Sobek I work with was Sobek-Ra by comparing him to Ra-Heruakhty I think. There's a vein of similarity and a vein of difference between syncretic Gods. Something that connects Hethert-Mut and Bast-Mut but is dissimilar between Hethert-Mut and Hethert-Nut, while the thing that was dissimilar between Hethert-Mut and Bast-Mut is similar between Hethert-Mut and Hethert-Nut!

In the -Mut's I've known, that similar thing is a very powerful, calm, enthronedness. She sits on her throne, watching, a font of power, holding a magical item (staff, ankh, lotus). She speaks with purpose, wisdom, and finality.

But with Bast I feel like there's a slightly gentler and almost floral tone to it. And her power is very contained and serene. With Sekhmet there's fire under that crown. Her majesty ripples under her fur, and her power cascades off of her in waves.

(My Sobek doesn't seem to be Sobek-Ra, as when I compared him to Ra-Heruakhty they did not share the energy that I associate with the Ra aspect. So sadly no comments there.)
Meset Wepwawet
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, her Hethert-Amenti
Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Sau Apprentice • Self-care Hethert-Amenti Advocate
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓁥𓇼

Online Tawa'ubastmut

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 03:20:22 pm »
I'm not sure how to explain the feeling, but I'm going to try.  I had been meaning to come back to this thread and give a better response!

To me, the -Mut brings Bast closer to Hethert. 

Bast is like fire and passion, protection and joy.
Mut is serene, like the cool waters of Isheru, with a hint of fire and the joy of motherhood and regality.

-Mut's water lessens the fire of Bast, but keeps the love and joy.  Motherhood and Queenliness keeps her protectiveness and perhaps increases it some.  Thus I refer to her as the Queen of Joy.

I have no interaction with Sekhmet-Mut (only with her children!) nor with Hethert-Mut.
Sat Bast-Mut her Hekatawy-Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Mafdet, Heru-sa-Aset, her Djehuty
☥ Sau Apprentice ║ Fedw ║ Fundraising Team ☥
www.BastMut.org

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3019
  • stats Total Posts: 289941
  • stats Total Topics: 19672
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything