collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Keeping Plants for the Netjeru  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Siobhan

• Remetj
Keeping Plants for the Netjeru
« on: July 27, 2017, 08:13:04 pm »
Em hotep all!

Thought I'd share this here. Went grocery shopping today and the Ralph's near me has had a succulent display right as you walk in the doors for the past few weeks. I've already got a bit of a succulent obsession to begin with but there were three in particular that INSTANTLY caught my eye that I would up going home with. I realized as I wandered around getting the rest of my groceries that each of the three reminded me very much of my father and beloveds, and...well, I might have wound up dedicating one to each of them. :)

Left to right: Djehuty's, Bes', Hethert-Sekhmet's

Ritual purity being what it is these certainly won't be going on my Senut altar, but I was wondering: Are there any guidelines about not putting plants on your (non-Senut) shrines/altars that are dedicated to the Netjeru? Do any of you keep plants for your parents/beloveds/deities you're devoted to? (If so, feel free to share your pictures if you're comfortable with sharing them!)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:14:44 pm by Siobhan »
Meset Djehuty
Meryt Bes her Hethert-Sekhmet

My Art

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
Re: Keeping Plants for the Netjeru
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 08:27:40 pm »
Iwy em hotep nefer! 

I won't comment on the ritual purity aspect because I'm uncertain if I'm overlooking something. 

But I know some people keep live plants for their Gods. 

Wesir and Geb are Gods I have tended live plants for. 
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Iseqi-itw

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 08:31:51 pm »
Em Hotep!

How cool!  I'm a huge spiritual plant person (is that even a thing?)..! Before I was ever even enrolled in the beginners course, I've kept plants around the house, mostly at work but that's because cats + poisonous plants = bad news.  But I have a lot that have been with me for a very long time...10+ years.  But ironically, I do have a plant on my senut shrine (whether that is wrong or not, I have absolutely no idea, but I've never gotten bad feelings from it as the plant is well contained in its place), but it's under glass and rarely open.  It's two different species of moss from the woods behind our cabin in northern WI, and the only ones out of the 7 I brought back with me last fall that have stayed with me and thrived.  They were in my shrine space long before I began Senut, and originally I had started doing that on a different shrine space of mine but...Set wanted to be moved to the same space it occupied so...now it's Set's moss.  Not sure why he's okay with the moss, but maybe because these species can survive almost anywhere through severe drought and bounce back with the first rain. 

It's almost a year old now, so it's starting to go into decline- still alive but not as vibrant as it had been, but as I was really starting to take this all seriously and got that feeling I was actually meant to be here...it was in the best health of its life.  Which for me is always a sign. 

Anyways here it was at that time and now. 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxoK4Vm9bqcXTjNvMEFGV3hCUWM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxoK4Vm9bqcXOVpOQktQaHVhamM

Senebty,

Iseqi
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:33:34 pm by Lelena »
Iseqi-itw (Iseqi) - “I wait for Two Fathers.”
Formerly: Lelena
------
Sat Amun-ra her Set
Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Heru-Wer

Offline Siobhan

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 08:50:57 pm »
Iwy em hotep nefer! 

I won't comment on the ritual purity aspect because I'm uncertain if I'm overlooking something. 

But I know some people keep live plants for their Gods. 

Wesir and Geb are Gods I have tended live plants for. 

Oh, I could be completely off base with the ritual purity thing, it's entirely possible I'm misremembering or misunderstanding what I recall from the beginner's class. :'D

But super rad to know others have done this! Geb and Wesir especially make a lot of sense where this is concerned.

Em Hotep!

How cool!  I'm a huge spiritual plant person (is that even a thing?)..! Before I was ever even enrolled in the beginners course, I've kept plants around the house, mostly at work but that's because cats + poisonous plants = bad news.  But I have a lot that have been with me for a very long time...10+ years.  But ironically, I do have a plant on my senut shrine (whether that is wrong or not, I have absolutely no idea, but I've never gotten bad feelings from it as the plant is well contained in its place), but it's under glass and rarely open.  It's two different species of moss from the woods behind our cabin in northern WI, and the only ones out of the 7 I brought back with me last fall that have stayed with me and thrived.  They were in my shrine space long before I began Senut, and originally I had started doing that on a different shrine space of mine but...Set wanted to be moved to the same space it occupied so...now it's Set's moss.  Not sure why he's okay with the moss, but maybe because these species can survive almost anywhere through severe drought and bounce back with the first rain. 

It's almost a year old now, so it's starting to go into decline- still alive but not as vibrant as it had been, but as I was really starting to take this all seriously and got that feeling I was actually meant to be here...it was in the best health of its life.  Which for me is always a sign. 

Anyways here it was at that time and now. 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxoK4Vm9bqcXTjNvMEFGV3hCUWM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxoK4Vm9bqcXOVpOQktQaHVhamM

Senebty,

Iseqi

Ahh it's so pretty! And really cool that it started to liven up more again during that process. :) I think even though we might tend to associate the Netjeru with more arid climates, there's certainly nothing to say they don't enjoy greenery--though from what little I know of Set I can see why that might be unexpected! He's no exception I guess. :D
Meset Djehuty

My Art

Offline Iseqi-itw

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 09:02:41 pm »
He certainly isn't!  Though I associate and feel him more with the power of a storm, really.  Or with a level of strength I need within myself most times.  I've never lived in an arid climate, so I suppose it's a bit stereotyping of me to think He wouldn't like moss!  ;D  Whereas Amun-Ra, especially the more I think about him, is more likely to be the reason I fine a deep connection spiritually in a forest on a sunny day.  The sound of leaves through the wind, how all that life is connected and intertwined in ways we cannot see...yeah, I'm a big plant&tree person, haha.  Either way, I really believe you can have a connection through the plants to them.  They are living things, and their care and tending  is (in my opinion) an act of care and tending to both yourself and Netjer.  And I find, they are much happier when they are together, rather than alone.
Iseqi-itw (Iseqi) - “I wait for Two Fathers.”
Formerly: Lelena
------
Sat Amun-ra her Set
Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Heru-Wer

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 07:22:39 am »
Em Hotep!

Only slightly related, I thought I'd place this here.  One of Hethert's titles is "Lady of the Sycamore".  Any service I do for trees feels like it's an offering to Hethert.  Whether pruning our orange tree of dead branches and tiny twigs or being a member of the Arbor Foundation, I feel like it gladdens Hethert's heart.

(That reminds me, we have an indoor tiny pine tree.  I checked, it needs water.  I will go and water it! :) )

Senebty,
Neheh....
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Djehutyendy

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 08:10:47 am »
Em hotep!

For a long time, I had a live plant in my shrine for Geb. Well, it wasn't really in my shrine because it was normally near a window... but it belonged to Geb and everytime I went into shrine I would place it there (whether for senut or informal prayer). I don't anymore, for circumstances unrelated to this topic, but I never had it be a problem with purity. I don't think there is anything impure about a living plant.

I found that living plants are wonderful offerings for Netjer since it requires long-term care, maintenance, and dedication. Your plants are beautiful and seem like a wonderful offering to your gods!

Senebty,
Endy
Daughter of Djehuty | Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb
Please feel free to reach out to me if you ever need anything or just want to talk! (Email: djehutyendy@gmail.com ; Discord: Djehutyendy#5816)

Offline Wepwyitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 08:21:36 am »
Em hotep!
I like the idea of living plants as things that remind of Parents or Beloveds, as well as flower offerings. I mostly keep plants not exactly in my Senut shrine but nearby, taking into consideration I need to take care of them ( sunshine, watering, dry leaves etc.)
Just to make sure there is no unintended soil/debris/water on the shrine space.
Child of Sokar-Wesir and Ra-Heruakhety
Beloved of Bast and Set.

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 11:52:41 am »
Em Hotep,

I offered an aloe vera plant to my Mother (Heqat) one year for her Festival day. I still have it, though it only sat on my shrine for a week or so before I had to move it to an era where it got more indirect sunlight. This was over two years ago.... and I JUST had to repot the plant because its so huge now. I usually give it or my spider plant the libation water from State rites.

Yes, you can offer plants, and yes, you can keep them on your shrine if you want. Just keep in mind the logistics of other shrine items like the candle/ flame, offering bowls, incense, etc. and make sure that pets aren't going to knock them over.

Senebty,
~Rev. Mesetibes
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 10:16:45 am by Maretemheqat »
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Siobhan

• Remetj
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 05:07:00 pm »
He certainly isn't!  Though I associate and feel him more with the power of a storm, really.  Or with a level of strength I need within myself most times.  I've never lived in an arid climate, so I suppose it's a bit stereotyping of me to think He wouldn't like moss!  ;D  Whereas Amun-Ra, especially the more I think about him, is more likely to be the reason I fine a deep connection spiritually in a forest on a sunny day.  The sound of leaves through the wind, how all that life is connected and intertwined in ways we cannot see...yeah, I'm a big plant&tree person, haha.  Either way, I really believe you can have a connection through the plants to them.  They are living things, and their care and tending  is (in my opinion) an act of care and tending to both yourself and Netjer.  And I find, they are much happier when they are together, rather than alone.

Man, *I* live in an arid climate (especially with the drought we've been having here in SoCal!) and even I initially assumed the Netjeru in general wouldn't care for greenery...Until I realized that if anything, living in an arid climate tends to make me long for greenery more. :P That's a great way to look at it though--in my limited experience it seems like small but consistent acts of devotion go a long way, and caring for a plant in the name of your gods fits the bill pretty well!

Em Hotep!

Only slightly related, I thought I'd place this here.  One of Hethert's titles is "Lady of the Sycamore".  Any service I do for trees feels like it's an offering to Hethert.  Whether pruning our orange tree of dead branches and tiny twigs or being a member of the Arbor Foundation, I feel like it gladdens Hethert's heart.

(That reminds me, we have an indoor tiny pine tree.  I checked, it needs water.  I will go and water it! :) )

Senebty,
Neheh....

An excellent bit of information! I had heard the title before but it had oddly not occurred to me to dedicate working with trees specifically to her, what a rad idea. :D

Em hotep!

For a long time, I had a live plant in my shrine for Geb. Well, it wasn't really in my shrine because it was normally near a window... but it belonged to Geb and everytime I went into shrine I would place it there (whether for senut or informal prayer). I don't anymore, for circumstances unrelated to this topic, but I never had it be a problem with purity. I don't think there is anything impure about a living plant.

I found that living plants are wonderful offerings for Netjer since it requires long-term care, maintenance, and dedication. Your plants are beautiful and seem like a wonderful offering to your gods!

Senebty,
Endy

I think you're right regarding the purity aspect--I think in my mind it was more of the soil the plant resides in that I saw as potentially raising ritual purity issues, but as others have pointed out it seems like if it is contained it's no issue at all. Good to know! I would love to liven up my Senut shrine a bit more, it's pretty spartan at the moment. :D Thank you!

Em hotep!
I like the idea of living plants as things that remind of Parents or Beloveds, as well as flower offerings. I mostly keep plants not exactly in my Senut shrine but nearby, taking into consideration I need to take care of them ( sunshine, watering, dry leaves etc.)
Just to make sure there is no unintended soil/debris/water on the shrine space.

Flowers, yes! A few months ago I was working at a flower shop and kept a few of the fallen petals from this peachish-colored rose bouquet my boss had been working on because they reminded me of Hethert. It's funny, at the time I didn't really work with her at all, I just got a very strong feeling that I should keep them for her...so they've been sitting drying out on the dashboard of my car since then. I think I might have to bring them in to scatter on my shrine to her when I eventually get it set up, they've kept their color so well!

Em Hotep,

I offered an aloe vera plant to my Mother (Heqat) one year for her Festival day. I still have it, though it only sat on my shrine for a week or so before I had to move it to an era where it got more indirect sunlight. This was over two years ago.... and I JUST had to report the plant because its so huge now. I usually give it or my spider plant the libation water from State rites.

Yes, you can offer plants, and yes, you can keep them on your shrine if you want. Just keep in mind the logistics of other shrine items like the candle/ flame, offering bowls, incense, etc. and make sure that pets aren't going to knock them over.

Senebty,
~Rev. Mesetibes

That's great that it's still thriving! And using libation water for dedicated plants is such a great idea. I might have to start doing that on occasion myself. :) Also thank you for the confirmation on that point concerning plants in shrine spaces!

Meset Djehuty

My Art

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 06:11:46 pm »
I have a twisty cactus of some sort, I think it's called a brain cactus, that I dedicated to Set.
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Inqisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 10:03:23 pm »
Em hotep! *henu*

I absolutely love plants, and try to get a new addition every year. Most are offered to Hethert (especially since a lot are in the blooming stage), but I tend to have them scattered around my room wherever they are happiest in sunlight/shade. They always start off as those small assorted baskets, but I have one that is now over 10 years old, and spans over a meter wide and 3/4 meter tall. It's a stubborn plant that wouldn't grow upwards, so it looks like it's trying to give you a hug... haha. I've also offered fruit and vegetable plants, and when the food is ready for harvest, I offer that item to Netjer in their Senut shrine before using it in a meal or eating it if it's small like berries!

These plants are my "indoor" garden, and that is dedicated space to Netjer, but I've never had enough space to put them on a shrine table. I'm also hoping to plant trees when I get my own house! I'll try to take photos this weekend~ I love seeing the different types of plants other have dedicated too! :D

Senebty,
-Inqi
ᐃᘛ Inqisenu ᘚᐃ
Child of Hethert-Iusaas & Heru-sa-Aset, Beloved of Set

◈ Sau Apprentice ◈

Offline Menqebetheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 12:59:42 am »
       Em Hotep !

I also love plants, usually i put flowers in the shrine, i have already put a plant in the sanctuary with earth in vessel, but it is not always that I do it, because my shrine stays in my bedroom and the plant misses sunlight, so when i see that the plant will begins to wither i always gives it to my mother to take care of it, cause she have a nice hands to restaure plants. I think is very nice to put plants in the shrine,but i usually put flowers. 

Senebty !
Anne.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:02:21 am by Annemellow2800 »
Menqebetheru - “Heru’s cool place"
Daughter of Heru-Sa-Aset
Beloved of Hethert-as-Bat And Yinepu-Wepwawet

~ I praise my Father Heru-Sa-Aset and my Beloveds Bat and Yinepu forever and eternally ~

Offline Senui-Iry-I

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 09:34:25 am »
I have a peace lily on my porch but didn't think of dedicating it to anyone, maybe for future plants I will!
As far as the inside of my house, I do not get enough sunlight to grow anything, so I have a few artificial plants and flower arrangements around. I have put together two arrangements for each of my parents that sit on top of my shrine and I have a small arrangement of succulents for Set on my shrine.
Despite my Father being known for making the earth flower and green, I tend to forget to water my plants or over water them :/
Maybe I should dedicate my peace lily to them as it's a miracle I've done well enough to keep it alive!!
Senui-iryi  (Iryi)
Sat Sobek-Ra her Hethert-Sekhmet,
Meryt Set her Yinepu-Wepwawet her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
𓆋 𓁥  𓁣 𓁢 𓋔
Sau apprentice

Offline Josephine Boone

• Remetj
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 09:40:40 am »
Almost two years ago, when I was serving Hethert, I got what I think was a nudge to bring some plants into my living space. It really feels nice having the plants around!

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3180
  • stats Total Posts: 295997
  • stats Total Topics: 20234
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 122
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything