Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 66
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 1

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Hey Everyone  (Read 4263 times)

Offline Temimensenu

• Shemsu
Hey Everyone
« on: August 15, 2017, 12:49:53 am »
Hi there, I'm Mirath.

I'm 22, FTM transgender, and I live in the rural city of Hereford. How every great dating profile starts, right?

I'm relatively new to this, having signed up to the next Beginners Class. However, I've been lurking these forums for the past few days since then, so I've learnt a bit here and there.

For a while I considered myself agnostic due to feeling like there was something watching over me, that there was something missing despite knowing my own identity, and that there was/were some higher power(s) present, and I've always been drawn to polytheistic religions over monotheistic ones for reasons unknown to me.

I've been back and forth lurking on this site for a few months, but about a week or so ago it feels like I'm being pulled towards sticking my head in deeper beyond the surface-skim that I usually do haha. I was first introduced to this unofficially through my A Level Archaeology course, so a good few years ago, and in some strange way it made sense.

Unlike the seeming majority of you here, I wasn't led here by the gods (that I directly know of), nor leaving any other religion behind - but somehow I feel it's the right path, whether I end up here for eternity or not, heh. I don't think I'm drawn to any particular entity, not just for the sake of trying to not be biased, even then I'm quite a sceptical person and not really one to jump to a spiritual conclusion at first glance. I question, heh...

My parents don't really care too much about religion, and were accepting-ish when I came out as transgender, but even knowing this I don't quite know how to go about explaining this to them. But I guess we shall see.
Temi

Son of Bast and Sobek

Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Amun, and Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Hey Everyone
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 01:22:50 am »
Ii-wy em hotep! 

Welcome, and enjoy your stay!

sat Bast her Hekatawy-Alexandros, meryt Serqet-Aset, Yinepu-Wepwawet, her HetHert-Sekhmet.
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Wepwyitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 01:31:56 am »
Hi, Mirath!
Nice to meet you. I should say that besides truly spiritual talks we have a lot of interesting historical references here and practical information, so it shouldn't be boring at all. The community is great and helpful.
I can get the reasons why you are here and yes, usually this kind of interest is not a pure coincidence. Have you considered the beginner's course? It would explain the concepts so you can get the whole idea.
Child of Sokar-Wesir and Ra-Heruakhety
Beloved of Bast and Set.

Offline Temimensenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 01:37:34 am »
Hi Sunlight_dapple,

If I remember correctly, the next Beginners Course starts in October a few days before my birthday, which seems a way away to be fair.

I'll have to have a look into the history boards, although it's been a while since I've looked into history "properly".
Temi

Son of Bast and Sobek

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 01:43:37 am »
Hi Sunlight_dapple,

If I remember correctly, the next Beginners Course starts in October a few days before my birthday, which seems a way away to be fair.

I'll have to have a look into the history boards, although it's been a while since I've looked into history "properly".

Try to be patient for the class.  I recall the wait, and the excitement to get going!  This is a really good time to get to know us as a community, and to start becoming familiar with some of our basic concepts, which themselves can sometimes be mind-bendy. 

Let us know if you have questions!  :)

sat Bast her Hekatawy-Alexandros, meryt Serqet-Aset, Yinepu-Wepwawet, her HetHert-Sekhmet.
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Offline Temimensenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 01:56:16 am »

Try to be patient for the class.  I recall the wait, and the excitement to get going!  This is a really good time to get to know us as a community, and to start becoming familiar with some of our basic concepts, which themselves can sometimes be mind-bendy. 

Let us know if you have questions!  :)

Thank you, I appreciate that.

The majority of online communities I'm in tend/like to focus more on questioning than just blind trust, so it might take a while to get used to not trying to analyse everything (and driving myself mad in the process).

I have been trailing through both the KO Q&A and the Netjer Q&A for answers, and while some are similar they're not quite the exact answer. But then who am I to look for exact answers to my exact question haha.

The more pressing one - I have atopic eczema that flares up pretty much everywhere if I eat the 'wrong sort' of food or use(d) the wrong cream on my skin (even some creams meant for eczema don't help) - I have often seen that natron is a drying substance (and also not the nicest on pots and pans during the process) so I was wondering if there was another alternative? I have had the idea of using/blessing the ointment that I use that goes all over me (hooray for slimy creams), but it's probably not the go-to thing in KO.
Temi

Son of Bast and Sobek

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 02:47:52 am »

Thank you, I appreciate that.

The majority of online communities I'm in tend/like to focus more on questioning than just blind trust, so it might take a while to get used to not trying to analyse everything (and driving myself mad in the process).

I have been trailing through both the KO Q&A and the Netjer Q&A for answers, and while some are similar they're not quite the exact answer. But then who am I to look for exact answers to my exact question haha.

The more pressing one - I have atopic eczema that flares up pretty much everywhere if I eat the 'wrong sort' of food or use(d) the wrong cream on my skin (even some creams meant for eczema don't help) - I have often seen that natron is a drying substance (and also not the nicest on pots and pans during the process) so I was wondering if there was another alternative? I have had the idea of using/blessing the ointment that I use that goes all over me (hooray for slimy creams), but it's probably not the go-to thing in KO.

Remember, with the House of Netjer, there is never any rush or push to do something.  Often, it's better to go slower, if it's even right for you at all!  Take the beginners class when you're comfortable, and feel like it would be a good next step for you.

Feel free to resurrect old threads!  The search function is there (though you have to be finicky with search terms), and it's great when those conversations spark new questions!

I'm honestly not certain about how one deals with natron being drying.  I do know that the quantity is very small, and diluted, then splashed or lightly applied.  I have no doubt there are others with experience who can help. :)

~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Offline Sedjnisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 04:00:36 am »
Em hotep! Welcome to the forums, great to see another familiar face around! ^^
Sedjnisenu (Sedjni) - "Two carry me"
Sa Sekhmet-Hethert & Wepwawet-Yinepu
Mery Bast, Khnum & Heruakhety

Offline Tjemsy

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 06:59:44 am »
Em hotep and welcome, friend! Questioning is good. It helps you learn, and understand. <3

Whatever reason you have come here is a valid reason. You don't need to feel "led" by anyone (though maybe you have been; sometimes NTR is sneaky like that), or that you're converting from one faith to another. And if it turns out this isn't for you, that's okay, too. Again, learning is good. ^^;

About the natron, usually it is something we splash on ourself, rather than something we use as, like, soap. And it is typically like 10 grains of natron mixed into water, so it's not a lot that will come into contact with your skin. If that still doesn't work for you, though, the most base purification is swishing some of that natron water in your mouth and spitting it out. I'm sure we can work something out. <3
Tjemsy - "Two Red Ones"

Sat Sekhmet her Set
Meryt Heru-wer, Bast, Wepwawet, Taweret, Nebthet,
 & Nefertem-Imhotep

Fedw Diviner | Tjemsy@kemet.org

Offline Awibemhethert

• Rev Ellen, Ordained Priest - Web Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 07:53:22 am »
Em hotep and welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rev Awibemhethert
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet
meryt Wesir

Self-Care Hethert Keeper

Offline Bawysudjawi

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 08:26:25 am »
Em hotep! Kinda surprised to see you here, Mirath. Welcome.

(If you don't recognize me on here, send me a PM and you'll know then :P)
Son of Set & Heru-wer
Beloved of Ptah & Wepwawet-Yinepu

Offline Ineqaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 10:37:30 am »
Welcome!  I have psoriasis and eczema flare-ups, often due to stress and soaps (the soap at my work bathrooms due a number on my hands). The natron and water mixture can be drying for me so I only use a little bit of natron and do the swishing in the mouth.

For me, the beginner's class went by so fast.  Ask questions, keep an open might, do what feels right for you, and enjoy your time learning! :)
Ineqaset (Aset unites, Aset gathers)
daughter of Aset-Serqet
beloved of Djehuty and Bes

Offline Inqisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 10:38:43 am »
Em hotep, Mirath! *henu*

It's a pleasure to meet you, welcome to the Boards. :)

Questioning things is normal, and even expected in our membership. So don't feel as if you are being out of place by doing so! I'm a hard skeptic myself, but that's also because I systematically come to conclusions through trial and error.

As for natron being too harsh for your skin, our Gods do not want us to suffer for Their sake. There are many options available to you if using natron is just not possible in any form or way. You can always use small amounts to see how it reacts to your skin at first, if you want to attempt it, though you know your health and limits better than most. Normally you'd only use a pinch of natron for an entire bath, for example. :)

Feel free to ask any of the priesthood here, if you still have concerns! You can also address it when you start your Beginner's Class, since there is a specific section that covers it. :)

Senebty!
-Inqisenu
ᐃᘛ Inqisenu ᘚᐃ
Child of Hethert-Iusaas & Heru-sa-Aset, Beloved of Set

◈ Sau Apprentice ◈

Offline Temimensenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 11:16:13 am »
Thank you all for your welcome, I'm sure I have enough questions to ask around. I'm sure I can fill my time before the Beginners Class, and probably have even more things to talk about after that.

As for you Jack, yeah I know who you are haha, and to be honest I didn't expect to be here much either. I'm just sticking my head in.

Temi

Son of Bast and Sobek

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 11:18:39 am »
Em hotep and welcome Mirath!

On the matter of natron purification, as my sister Tjemsy said, it's not meant to be a super drying mixture for your skin. When you're in the beginner's class you can talk to the priests about it and work out what will be best for your health.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3007
  • stats Total Posts: 288174
  • stats Total Topics: 19541
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217