collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 63
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: UK sources of Natron?  (Read 958 times)

Offline Temimensenu

• Shemsu
UK sources of Natron?
« on: August 19, 2017, 01:11:37 pm »
After learning/reading that I don't need to absolutely coat myself in it, I got looking.

Now, the majority of online sellers seem to be in the US, and from my varying experiences with international shipping... charges/customs usually ramp up the price.

I know I do have the option of making it myself (from brief reading, I think it's bicarbonate of soda and salt), but I don't think my parents would appreciate natron/its components caked onto their saucepans...

Anyone know of any UK-based sources?

Or maybe someone has some tips/tricks to making it.
Temi

Son of Bast and Sobek

Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Amun, and Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
Re: UK sources of Natron?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 01:31:41 pm »
I seem to remember a thread where a few priests said they mixed the salt and baking soda together and simply pinched the mixture into their water

Regardless, I think this might be an idea for you
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Temimensenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 01:34:15 pm »
Ah, thank you, I might have to go hunting for that thread then, if it's hopefully still around.

The nice people here helped to allay my fears of using an amount of natron that'd aggravate my eczema, so I figured starting off with a miniscule quantity couldn't hurt to try.
Temi

Son of Bast and Sobek

Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Amun, and Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 01:34:56 pm »
After learning/reading that I don't need to absolutely coat myself in it, I got looking.

Now, the majority of online sellers seem to be in the US, and from my varying experiences with international shipping... charges/customs usually ramp up the price.

I know I do have the option of making it myself (from brief reading, I think it's bicarbonate of soda and salt), but I don't think my parents would appreciate natron/its components caked onto their saucepans...

Anyone know of any UK-based sources?

Or maybe someone has some tips/tricks to making it.

Em hotep nefer, Mirath!

An acceptable and quality-assured alternative to making your own natron would be to acquire pharmaceutical grade non-iodized salt, as is typically used for neti pots (nasal irrigation). Pharma grade non-iodized salt should definitely be available to you in the UK. :)

Senebty!
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Pairysenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 06:16:38 pm »
Also, if you're concerned about baking it into the pans, I believe I used parchment paper to cover the bottom of the pan for protection, which worked pretty well for me.
𓅮
"The One Who Acts For Two"
Meset Sekhmet-Hethert her Set
Meryt Heru-wer her Sobek

Offline KhaiPtah

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 12:39:54 pm »
Hotep. 

We mix the ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil etc.
We then use a potato masher. (crazy but it works) 
Scoop the Natron paste onto the inside of the metal Tatty masher and gently shake it over piece of baking parchment on a baking tray.  this should give you perfectly sized Pieces about as big as a lentil.
then bake till they are dry, and store in an airtight jar (a little packet of silica gel will keep it fresh and dry forever).

Hope this Helps

Senebty

Khai
The Shadows of apathetic silence dim the Light of righteous anger Ptah - 8/21/05

Fundraising Liaison
Sa her Shemsu-Ankh Ptah
Mery Sekhmet-HetHert Mery Bast

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2937
  • stats Total Posts: 286250
  • stats Total Topics: 19411
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217