collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 39
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Questions About Both The RPD and Honoring the Akhu  (Read 4858 times)

Questions About Both The RPD and Honoring the Akhu
« on: August 20, 2017, 02:01:01 pm »
Hello everyone!

I hope it’s okay that I’ve been here so much as of late, I’m just trying to learn as much as I possibly can, and truly there’s so much information to be gleaned from this place. The questions I mainly have are about the RPD and the Akhu veneration, that seems to be a staple of the Kemetic Orthodoxy faith! 

So, the first question I have is about the RPD, from my understanding, it seems that it’s a divination practiced by the Nisut, to divine one’s godly parents, and or deities that wish to be acknowledged first and foremost by the practitioner. I understand that this is not mandatory, nor is it something one has to do. However, what do you do when you already have a strong connection with a deity? What if they don’t show up? If anyone has read my other post, I guess it’s a little obvious that I feel a strong connection to Yinepu, and he’s expressed desires to help me with issues. I know I wouldn’t lose that connection even if I did have the RPD and he was nowhere to be found, and I know that I’m pretty far away from doing that at this time, but I guess it just makes me kind of nervous to think that he wouldn’t show up. How did you guys cope with that?

My second question is in regards to honoring the Akhu. To be frank, I really don’t have the best relationship with my immediate family, and I don’t know much about them beyond my grandparents. There’s not really anyone I can ask, due to the fact that I don’t really talk with my immediate family due to abuse reasons. 
I actually tried talking to my ancestors a while back, and while I get the sense that they might be around for support, I also get the feeling they don’t want to be bothered. I have super mixed feelings regarding my ancestors in general.

I would really like to give the House a good, honest try, but these two things make me the most anxious, and they seem to be major parts of the faith.

Offline Rev. Tjesi

• W'ab (priest) - Web Assistant
  • Administrator
Questions About Both The RPD and Honoring the Akhu
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 03:10:29 pm »
Em hotep, LilliumStargazer!

Those are good questions. I didn't have a really strong connection to any one Name before RPD. I know of others who have had that experience and I'll let them tell you about their process.

I can tell you though about not being happy with who is devined as your parent in RPD. I wanted Djehuty or Someone who felt exciting and special. Hethert, while I didn't dislike Her, seemed rather simple and soft to me. Art, dance, music, love. Yeah, all important things and important parts of my life, but... I thought, not very exciting. And there were a whole bunch of children of Hethert divined around the same time and I wanted to be "special." (Yes, it is possible that I should have waited longer to do my RPD.)

However, as time passed, I realized She is no fluffy bunny wimp. She is massively big, I mean massively. Her name means "house of Heru." For me that means She holds the very universe within Her. And She is no wimp. She becomes Sekhmet. I got that they were connected, yes, but it took me a while to understand that Sekhmet is not separate from Hethert. They are one. One in different circumstances.

So, even if one isn't necessarily overjoyed at Who is one's parent at the outset, that can change. I could be the child of No One else.

Akhu....

I used to think that I was comfortable with my Akhu. That I knew them and could venerate them (and did), but this last year I have done a lot of growth. I realized my childhood was not the "happy, loving childhood" I'd thought. Yes, my parents loved me to the best of their abilities, but they also chose not to give up old family patterns because that meant going out into the unknown... which was too dangerous or hard.

I've only just realized that the majority of stories I've told for years about my family, thinking they were cute and humorous, really show just how little my parents knew how to truly communicate. And they passed on their bad skills to my brother and I. As a result of my learning how to communicate at least a little better, I have cut off relations with my brother, because I won't continue to behave as we were taught.

So, I've no clue who my blood Akhu are now. I understand that my parents, now that they are Akhu, will see things differently, but until I know who they are now, it's very hard for me to feel close.

But Akhu are not all immediate blood relatives. One of my Akhu is an amazing woman architect I worked for years ago. There are House Akhu, members who are now in the Duat. I just asked a new Akh to be one of my Akhu. A composer who died last year who's music had a powerful effect on me. There are many, many options.

And I know others have had bad relationships with blood relatives and have Akhu of their choosing.

So... it is still possible that you may feel at home here.

Much love,

Ibi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:14:21 pm by Awibemhethert »
Rev Tjesi
Tjeset Merut her Reshut net Hethert
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet
meryt Wesir

Shemsu name: Awibemhethert (Ibi)

Offline Rekeh-Wer

Re: Questions About Both The RPD and Honoring the Akhu
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 03:24:51 pm »
Em hotep, Lillium! I'm not a KO member, so anyone can speak over me on this, but I'd still like to give my input.

For the RPD thing, is going to sound like cheap advice, but I do think you should have faith in Yinepu and that His decision to show up or not is ultimately for the best. If He does end up in your line up, fantastic! If not, that's okay too! It doesn't invalidate the relationship you have with Him. It might just mean He preforms a role other than a Parent or Beloved. Of course, the RPD does act as a vow to serve your Parent(s) above all else, so if He doesn't show up as a parent you'll have to put Him aside in honour of your Parent(s). And that's still alright! You might even form a stronger bond with your mystery Parents then you did with Yinepu.

All in all, just trust that it'll turn out alright. The gods know what they're doing, so whatever happens will be what needs to be!

And for your question about Ahku, I'm actually in the same boat. And honestly, I don't think that Ahku veneration is a requirement, so if you don't feel good about it, then you don't have to do it. But if you're intent on it, you're allowed to tell certain ancestors to shove off, just like with any spirit. You can also adopt non-blood-related dead into your practice (as long as they're okay with it). You're also encouraged to add past pets into the mix as well!

For my practice, I keep it exclusive to those that are down with me being a trans, gay, pagan. I say "to all my ancestors, known and unknown, who are willing to accept me as I am" and hope my ancestors get the message. I also count my dear cat as a member of my dead, so if I have to honour any Ahku at all, I honour her.

Really you just need to do what you feel is right when/if you honour the Akhu. It's an incredibly personal experience tailored specifically to YOU, so ultimately you know best.

I hope at least some of this helps! And like I said, I'm not officially a member of Kemetic Orthodoxy, so anyone is welcome to correct me.

Good luck!
Great Burning
Khonsu | Set | Shai | Ma'ahes | Horus the Red
𓁳𓁣𓀭𓃬𓇼

Offline Temimensenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 03:33:00 pm »
Hope you don't mind me stepping in here, but if I read that correctly you're saying that Akhu veneration isn't a requirement? Or is that because you're not a KO member that it isn't?

It's something I've been wondering myself
Temi
Son of Bast, Sobek, and Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) || Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Amun, and Yinepu-Wepwawet

Beginners Class Liaison || Fedw Diviner for Bast and Sobek

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 03:48:35 pm »
Em hotep Lillium,

We like questions! I'm glad you feel comfortable enough to ask them, and that's why we have a public side on the fora. Both Ibi and Anaputuwet have spoke well on your questions, and I'll add this from my personal experience. I have a long relationship with Aset and expected Her to show up somehow in my RPD. She didn't, as you can see by my sig down below. Bu that hasn't done anything to change my relationship with Her, and She has also given me insight on to why She's not there in the formal, KO capacity. Having the lineup I do has actually made me more aware of my own self and has taught me a lot.

For your akhu, you can always talk to them in general and the more immediate may say meh. Your akhu aren't just your blood family though. If you have had friends or teachers who died, or people in the past who you greatly admire, you can count them among your akhu and work on making a relationship with them. Take your time with that and see what happens.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 03:48:50 pm »
RPD Parents are your focus in Kemetic Orthodoxy and rebirth you into the community.  Many Netjeru can act as your "Parent" and not be your intrinsic Parent, Who is tied to you in a deeper way per the Beginner's Class instruction I received. 

Ancestors are a very important part to a lot of cultures and there's lots of different reasonings behind the "why" aspect of Ancestor Veneration.

I'll say this first.  You don't have to venerate Ancestors you're not comfortable with venerating and depending on who you ask, it's thought that some Ancestors may not be as active because of previous experiences in their lives.

But in my personal opinion (maybe this will help you), your Ancestors aren't so much the people you knew.  The personalities they had in their lives die when the body dies because human personality is a product of the body.  It's a creation of the mind and genetics. 

Your Ancestors are really a host of Spirits you "cluster" with on the spiritual plane and keep incarnating with through a shared bloodline.  You are tied to Them and They are tied to you.  You venerate Them to improve your fortune on certain levels.

But these are not official KO teachings..just my understanding from practice and otherwise. 
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 03:53:09 pm »
Em hotep, Lillium! I'm not a KO member, so anyone can speak over me on this, but I'd still like to give my input.

For the RPD thing, is going to sound like cheap advice, but I do think you should have faith in Yinepu and that His decision to show up or not is ultimately for the best. If He does end up in your line up, fantastic! If not, that's okay too! It doesn't invalidate the relationship you have with Him. It might just mean He preforms a role other than a Parent or Beloved. Of course, the RPD does act as a vow to serve your Parent(s) above all else, so if He doesn't show up as a parent you'll have to put Him aside in honour of your Parent(s). And that's still alright! You might even form a stronger bond with your mystery Parents then you did with Yinepu.

All in all, just trust that it'll turn out alright. The gods know what they're doing, so whatever happens will be what needs to be!

And for your question about Ahku, I'm actually in the same boat. And honestly, I don't think that Ahku veneration is a requirement, so if you don't feel good about it, then you don't have to do it. But if you're intent on it, you're allowed to tell certain ancestors to shove off, just like with any spirit. You can also adopt non-blood-related dead into your practice (as long as they're okay with it). You're also encouraged to add past pets into the mix as well!

For my practice, I keep it exclusive to those that are down with me being a trans, gay, pagan. I say "to all my ancestors, known and unknown, who are willing to accept me as I am" and hope my ancestors get the message. I also count my dear cat as a member of my dead, so if I have to honour any Ahku at all, I honour her.

Really you just need to do what you feel is right when/if you honour the Akhu. It's an incredibly personal experience tailored specifically to YOU, so ultimately you know best.

I hope at least some of this helps! And like I said, I'm not officially a member of Kemetic Orthodoxy, so anyone is welcome to correct me.

Good luck!

Just minor corrections to an otherwise excellent post.  :)

RPD in and of itself does not constitute a vow to serve one's parents/beloved(s) first.  RPD is just the process by which you find out Who those gods are. You can make those vows if you wish and that's how you become shemsu.   Shemsu have made those vows.  Divined remetj have not, but have undergone RPD.

Also, we do not consider that non human animals become Akhu.  We can certainly maintain a relationship with them after they're gone, but they're technically netjeri.  Non human animals do not need to pass judgment at the Weighing of the Two Hearts.

Also Akhu veneration is a fundamental pillar of the faith and as such it would be hard to be Kemetic Orthodox and not do it to some degree.  But there is no requirement to honor specific Akhu.  If your grandfather was a toxic git, you don't have to honor him or interact with him in any way.  Some people have found it rewarding to work out issues with Akhu who were toxic in life,  but that's certainly a very personal decision and never required.

Senebty,

Taji
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:21:53 pm by Taji »
Daughter of Bast-Mut | Servant of the Queen of Heaven

Offline Rekeh-Wer

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 04:19:21 pm »
Just minor corrections to an otherwise excellent post.  :)

RPD in and of itself does not constitute a vow to serve one's parents/beloved(s) first.  RPD is just the process by which you find out Who those gods are. You can make those vows if you wish and that's how you become shemsu.   Shemsu have made those vows.  Divined remetj have not, but have undergone RPD.

Also, we do not consider that non human animals become Akhu.  We can certainly maintain a relationship with them after they're gone, but they're technically netjeri.  Non human animals do not need to pass judgment at the Weighing of the Two Hearts.

Senebty,

Taji

I didn't know those things! It was my understanding that you automatically become a shemsu after RPD, but hearing you can stay a remetj after RPD is actually pretty cool! It's great that the service is offered even to those that don't formally join KO.

I also didn't know that animals become netjeri when they pass, I kinda just thought they floated around as your average spirit. So that's also really cool! Thank you so much for sharing this information! <3

Hope you don't mind me stepping in here, but if I read that correctly you're saying that Akhu veneration isn't a requirement? Or is that because you're not a KO member that it isn't?

It's something I've been wondering myself

I mean I don't think its required for KO. If you're practicing on your own, I can tell you for sure that Ahku veneration is optional. There are many kemetics I've talked with that don't include it as part of their practice, and that's okay! It's just a piece of the bigger picture.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:23:57 pm by Anaputuwet »
Great Burning
𓁳𓁣𓀭𓃬𓇼

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 04:23:36 pm »
Oops you posted while I was editing.  :). Glad it was helpful!

Remetj are full members of the faith.  So yeah, you need to be a member to undergo RPD.  But you don't need to undergo RPD to be a member.  And even if you do, you are not required to swear shemsu vows. 

Senebty,

Taji
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:25:17 pm by Taji »

Offline Rekeh-Wer

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 04:26:07 pm »
Oops you posted while I was editing. 

Remetj are full members of the faith.  So yeah, you need to be a member to undergo RPD.  But you don't need to undergo RPD to be a member.  And even if you do, you are not required to swear shemsu vows. 

Senebty,

Taji

Oh! Okay I think I understand now. I guess I still have a lot to learn then! Thank you for helping me!
Great Burning
𓁳𓁣𓀭𓃬𓇼

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 04:29:51 pm »
Learning never stops.  Even for those of us who have been here for a while.  :)

You are quite welcome. 

Online Shariwepwawet

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 04:34:34 pm »
Em hotep! I was kind of in the same boat as you. While Set was the One Who shoved me at KO, I felt I had a much stronger bond with Yinepu. I work in the veterinary field and was actually specifically searching for dog-related deities to worship. During my RPD when Hemet (AUS!) asked Who I thought would show up, I said and I quote, "Yiiiiiinepu?"

Well I was close but not quite, haha! And I was so confused afterwards going who is this guy???

As for the akhu issues, well I don't know anyone on my father's side and I was reluctant to do ancestor worship in general. I decided to simply offer to "my unknown and known ancestors who wish to be included" so that those who were devout Christians, etc. don't have to be bothered with Kemetic things. The RPD also included an akhu divination which was very reassuring to me that my akhu do love me and are proud of me. I hope that should you decide to join KO and do the RPD that your experiences are good.
Shari
Child of Wepwawet. Beloved of Set and Ra.

Offline rev. ubenet

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 04:47:01 pm »
I mean I don't think its required for KO. If you're practicing on your own, I can tell you for sure that Ahku veneration is optional. There are many kemetics I've talked with that don't include it as part of their practice, and that's okay! It's just a piece of the bigger picture.

beginners and above are required to have an akhu shrine, according to the bylaws. what you do there is, in general, your own business, but ancestors are a big part of our faith. this doesn't mean that you have to like specific dead people you know -- i'd be surprised if absolutely nowhere in history was there a dead person who liked you :)
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset
𓁴𓁳
tarot and heka by request

Offline Subani

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 05:27:35 pm »
Just to speak to another piece of experience for the RPD:

It literally changed my life. I had my first truly religious experience in 2003 when I believe that Bast entered my life. But during my beginner's class, I started to have dreams of Set. Set scared me, in SO many ways. In big ways and small ways, Set frightened me. Then lo-and-behold, He stepped up in my lineup to be a Beloved. It seemed He had things He had to teach me. And teach me He did. So you never know who will show up.
Sat Bast meryt Amun, Wepwawet-Yinepu her Set
(7/22/07)
Subaenibast
Bast causes Herself to be revealed to me
(6/27/18)

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 08:20:49 pm »
Em hotep

Speaking to "the RPD is offered to those who don't formally join KO":

It is not recommended to undergo the RPD without the intention to, at some point, take Shemsu vows. The RPD is the first half of becoming a Shemsu, the Naming Ceremony is the second half. Together they are a rite of initiation as a full convert to Kemetic Orthodoxy. (Remetj are members, but not full converts, which is why they have different requirements.)

If you want to take it with the idea you will take the vows, but need time to adjust to your lineup, that's fine. If you take Shemsu vows and, somewhere down the road, feel you cannot keep them, then you step down to Divined Remetj, which is also fine. But you shouldn't take the RPD going "this is cool, glad I don't have to ever become a Shemsu but can do this." It's disrespectful of the process and those whom have undertaken it. It's not done just to know what Names are around, it's done so that you have a revelation (a Mystery?) of sorts where you are told Who stepped forward to claim you. Even in just knowing it, you take a certain level of responsibility and duty towards Them. Maybe not in putting Them first as a Shemsu does, but something.

This is why some assume you automatically become a Shemsu after the RPD; most people don't take the RPD until they are ready for the vows, no matter Who their Parent/s and Beloved/s are. At the end of the RPD you are asked if you would like to become a Shemsu. You can choose to wait and get to know your lineup (and yourself knowing Them) or say yes at that time.

As for Who shows up:

I did not expect my Mother; originally I thought Sekhmet and shortly after or before my Beginner's class ended, I thought maybe Aset. I did know I'd only have one Parent and that it would be a She though. Sekhmet I had a long standing relationship with before my RPD, Her potentially not being there was why I put mine off longer than some of my fellow classmates. Near my RPD, I was even more afraid I'd end up with the mother of all Odd God Squad lineups. Lol. Sekhmet was there as Sekhmet-Mut, but Set (who I also expected) was not. Which was okay, because He told me directly He wouldn't be, but we could still be buds. :) And we are; He's one of my favorite go-to Gods outside of my lineup. So it's okay if They don't show up, you can still have that relationship. I just put my lineup first and everyOne is cool with that.

On Akhu:

I honor many different Akhu for different reasons. My father's family has pictures of and gifts from those I knew in life. My mother's only has stones that came out of one of the family cemeteries, because my mother disapproves of me honoring them. There are other things in their shrine, of course, that are more generalized (a Germanic influenced Christmas ornament for one), but anyone who causes problems doesn't come around. Probably because if they don't like me, they don't want to be around me.

Senebty
Ra'awy

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

(They/them)

Sa Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), mery Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Alexandros, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner for Serqet-Aset and Nehmet-Awai

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3260
  • stats Total Posts: 298636
  • stats Total Topics: 20476
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 117
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything