Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 54
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Waiting period for new Akhu?  (Read 1276 times)

Offline alae93

• Divined Remetj
Waiting period for new Akhu?
« on: October 01, 2017, 01:07:42 pm »
I am second-guessing myself, but:  I seem to recall crossing the Duat takes time.  You can offer prayers to/for the recently deceased, but they aren't a full Akh until the time period's complete.

(This is not unusual cross-culturally; my memory says it's 40 days before you add a new eggun to your ancestral shrine, in traditional Yoruba practice.  I think Shinto has a waiting period, too, but I don't recall how long it is.)

BUT I do not recall how long until the newly dead joins the other Akhu, in Kemetic practice.

Assuming I didn't make this up out of whole cloth -- can you remind me how long it is?  Sources are also appreciated.
mes-en-Aset-Serqet; meryt Nit-Nebhtet-Seshat, Khepera, her Set.

Offline TabauAmunet

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Waiting period for new Akhu?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 01:17:29 pm »
Em hotep Alae93!

The waiting period is 70 days for us. There are prayers for the 70th day, and then they can be added to the Akhu shrine, is my recollection. I believe the 70 days number is pulled from the time it took to mummify a King, but I could be wrong.  (My neighbor is Potawatomi - she's told me they don't speak their name for a year, so as not to distract them. I find it fascinating that so many cultures include a waiting period of sorts, and the timing is so different!)

I'm afraid my sources for this have always been priests, so I'll let them answer in greater detail.

Hope that helps!
Senebty,
~Tabau

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Senebty!
~Tabauamunet
Child of Mut-as-Amunet, beloved of Sekhmet-HetHert, Seshat-Nit-NebtHet, Bast, Amun-Min, Nefertem, and Bawy
Fedw diviner for Amunet/Mut

Offline alae93

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 01:20:24 pm »
Thank you!

I kind of got the impression that the rationale is for comparable reasons to what your neighbor gives:  they're getting settled.  It takes time.  Let 'em do what they need to.  ;)

Offline Rev. Tjesi

• W'ab (priest) - Web Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 02:17:14 pm »
My understanding is that it is indeed the time it takes to journey through the duat and get to the judgment.

If you would like a copy of the 70 days' prayer, I would be happy to send it to you if you PM me an email address.

Much love,

Ibi
Rev Tjesi
Tjeset Merut her Reshut net Hethert
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet
meryt Wesir

Shemsu name: Awibemhethert (Ibi)

Offline alae93

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 09:07:33 pm »
Thank you!  PM incoming :)

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3248
  • stats Total Posts: 298291
  • stats Total Topics: 20443
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything