Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 25
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: A few Akhu shrine questions  (Read 760 times)

Offline Temimensenu

• Shemsu
A few Akhu shrine questions
« on: December 10, 2017, 08:17:22 am »
Em hotep everyone,

A day or so ago I keep getting (what I consider) little nudges to move my Akhu shrine into our dining room, which has more traffic. I’m thinking to do it, but first a few questions since it’d be more public.

1 - Would I need to re-purify the shrine after I moved it?

2 - I have two bowls for water and food offerings, how long do you leave the offerings on the shrine for, or do you remove them both after the fact?
(Currently, I let the water evaporate on its own)

3 - Do you leave the water topped up every day, or do you let it empty as and when?

Many thanks, and have a great day.
Temi

Son of Bast and Sobek

Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Amun, and Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Gezausenu

Re: A few Akhu shrine questions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 08:31:28 am »
Em hotep, Mirath!

I'll let someone more versed in purity respond to your first question. ^_^ As for 2 and 3--and just from my experience, mind . . .

2) Personally, because I have a cat, I remove food offerings immediately. Water I let Friend drink, if he wants to, or otherwise leave it to evaporate. As I understand it, in the act of offering, our Akhu take the essence of the food (part of why we don't eat it ourselves afterwards). Once they do that, I don't know if there's reason to leave it out for longer periods of time, unless you want to? But I'll bet that's all personal choice and I'm just rambling about what makes practical sense to me. :)

3) I offer water once a week and let it evaporate. My one concern about leaving water sitting and constantly topping it off would be that mould might grow, because the bowl is never given a chance to dry out.

Just my $0.02, though! I'll be curious to hear what others think. :)

Senebty!
Gezausenu.
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

Online Awibemhethert

• Rev Ellen, Ordained Priest - Web Assistant
  • Administrator
A few Akhu shrine questions
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 02:54:35 pm »
Hmmmm.... I moved my Akhu shrine without redoing the whole detailed repurification process. But... I moved it to another surface in my shrine room. I did purify the new surface and the new things I added. I think it really depends on what the situation is? If you’ve been maintaining your Akhu shrine and keeping it clean and using it, I don’t see a reason to re-purify everything. But another w’ab who has been practicing longer might say differently. If things are dirty, I would suggest cleaning and repurifying.

As for food, it really varies for me. Generally I top off the water during the week and then clean the cup once a week before my Akhu specific time.

As for food, it really depends on what it is. Often I offer Ghirardelli chocolates in individual wrappers. Those I leave until the next worship at the shrine. Anything that can rot or attract bugs I dispose of very soon after offering it.

Dishes that go in the dishwasher get repurified before use again.

So... that’s how I handle it.

Ibi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rev Awibemhethert
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet
meryt Wesir

Self-Care Hethert Keeper

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 06:09:26 pm »
Iwy em hotep nefer, Mirath! 

Ask your Ancestors if They want to be moved in a particular way.  I have heard stories about people with Ancestor shrines who, say, moved house and tried to "move" their Ancestors with them and...it did not go very well.  A lot of unhappy dead in that case. 

But you're being asked.  Ask Them and your Netjer how you should do it.  They may have particulars we cannot understand or make sense of because of their uniqueness to you and your shrine.

I leave offerings on my shrine until my Ancestors' say it's okay to remove them (unless it's a permanent feature on the shrine as a gift for the Akhu/Blessed Dead)

I tend to my shrine as needed.  Sometimes, my dead don't want to deal with me at the time I approach Them.  Other times They do.  It just depends.  Ancestor shrines generally need a lot of ongoing care in the case the shrine becomes large enough to accommodate a specific number of great practices.  You'll find what works for you as time goes by

Senebty and blessing,
Sekhep

Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Sobeqsenu

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 06:18:45 am »
Em hotep!

1 - Would I need to re-purify the shrine after I moved it?

The akhu do not require as much purity as the gods, simply because they're human, not divine. However, when in doubt, it can't hurt to purify.

2 - I have two bowls for water and food offerings, how long do you leave the offerings on the shrine for, or do you remove them both after the fact?

I let the water evaporate naturally, and any food offerings I generally leave overnight unless it is unsafe to do so, then I will leave for a period of time and remove, and respectfully dispose of (either wrap in a paper towel and set in the trash, or bury).

3 - Do you leave the water topped up every day, or do you let it empty as and when?

I try to make sure there is always water on the akhu shrine - as it naturally evaporates, I'll top it off. No thirsty ancestors on my watch!

Senebty,
Sobeq
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2932
  • stats Total Posts: 285894
  • stats Total Topics: 19380
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110