collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is Ra Anubis father?  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Minpin

Is Ra Anubis father?
« on: December 17, 2017, 01:17:19 pm »
Hi guys. I've seen several Gods mentioned as Anubis parents, but the oldest mention of his father is Ra. Can I assume that this might be the most likely one to be true or what do you think?

Later as Osiris became popular it seems like they added him as his father because it was convenient.

Please correct me, I don't know much!
Hail Anubis!

Offline Padememheru

• Shemsu
Re: Is Ra Anubis father?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 04:47:21 pm »
As I understand it from my research, it seems the most common genealogies were either that of Yinepu (Greek: Anubis) being the son of Set and His consort Nebt-het.  Or in some cases the son of Aset, though it seems general thought was that She had adopted Him rather than gave birth to Him.  I've never heard of Ra though being His father, at least to my knowledge.  Technically there is one genealogy where instead of Amun it is Ra that sired Geb and Nut which would therefore make Him Yinepu's great grandfather, not father.  Hopefully someone in the House that is more knowledgeable though can help with this.  As I'm basically an intermediate at best, amateur at worst when it comes to genealogies because there are so many.
"When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - Futurama's "Godfellas"

Padememheru ~The One Mentioned by Heru~
Sa Heru-sa-Aset (or Heru-Nedjitef)
Mery Set, Aset-Serqet, his Nut

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 06:35:12 pm »
Em hotep,

Maybe this page on my website will help? Re is the earliest attested father, yes.

http://www.per-sabu.org/parentage-and-origins.html
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

Offline Minpin

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 06:44:30 pm »
Em hotep,

Maybe this page on my website will help? Re is the earliest attested father, yes.

http://www.per-sabu.org/parentage-and-origins.html

I love your website. I saw it there, yes.

But what I'm wondering is can we make the guess that the earliest attested father would be the true "canon" one? Does this make sense to you?
Hail Anubis!

Offline Padememheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 07:19:25 pm »
Em hotep Bezenwepwy.  I looked at your site, and I found it very enlightening myself. :) I'd never heard of Hesat or Bast being one of Yinepu's parents.  Learn something new every day.  :)
"When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - Futurama's "Godfellas"

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 07:26:28 pm »
AE religion doesn’t really work that way. It all very much depends on context. What is ‘canon’ and concrete in one situation may not be in another.

That said, I personally do think of Re as his true(r) father, since such a large part of Anup’s place in the Osirian cycle is that of him fulfilling the role of son by dealing with the funerary arrangements (as per the section in my translation of the Grenier text that talks about how Anup came to be so firmly integrated into the Osirian mythology.)
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

Offline Padememheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 07:28:43 pm »
I'd also completely forgotten the tale that describes Nebt-het disguising herself as Aset to conceive a child with Wesir.  But I understand that that is a later tale within Yinepu's story. 

Offline Tarytenyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 10:46:44 am »
As with many things here in KO, we tend to use polyvalent logic when it comes to matters concerning the Gods; that is, all of the myths can all be true at the same time. This is much more reasonable when you consider that we don't take myths literally.

Personally, I've always considered Nebt-het his mother, Wesir his Father, and Set his indirect father (that is, the husband of His mother). Still, the impression my Father Yinepu has given me is "I'm so inconceivably ancient that it doesn't matter either way. What difference would it really make to you?" which just reminds me that parentage and heredity are honestly very human concepts to begin with.
Taryt En Yinepu "Respect for Yinepu"
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Djehuty her Montu
--Sau Apprentice--
"The best thing in life is to wake up tomorrow." -- Uncle Jack

Offline Sema'a

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 03:24:18 pm »
I think that, as is often the case when trying to suss out the "truth" about a deity, the answer to "which one is His real father?" is "Yes."

I think that the relationships between the gods tell us more about the nature of each god than about the literal connection. Considering each deity attested as Yinepu's father tells us something different about His role and His function in the Unseen world. We each may find ourselves drawn to Yinepu in relationship to other gods uniquely -- for example, I find myself closer to Him as a child of Set and Nebthet than any other configuration, which perhaps speaks to the side of Yinepu that I am closest with. Seeing Yinepu as the son of Ra is perhaps indicative of the aspect of His that you connect best with.

Senebty,
Sobeq
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Yinepuemsaes

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 06:20:43 pm »
As with many things here in KO, we tend to use polyvalent logic when it comes to matters concerning the Gods; that is, all of the myths can all be true at the same time. This is much more reasonable when you consider that we don't take myths literally.

Personally, I've always considered Nebt-het his mother, Wesir his Father, and Set his indirect father (that is, the husband of His mother). Still, the impression my Father Yinepu has given me is "I'm so inconceivably ancient that it doesn't matter either way. What difference would it really make to you?" which just reminds me that parentage and heredity are honestly very human concepts to begin with.

Exactly!  :)
Yinepuemsaes - "Yinepu is her protection"
Sat Yinepu
Meryt Bast

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3048
  • stats Total Posts: 290679
  • stats Total Topics: 19746
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 113
  • stats Most Online: 560
anything