collapse collapse

* Donation Status

Current donation status as of February 28, 2021 = $463.18 of $2,500

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 40
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Need language help  (Read 1440 times)

Offline ThothIsWise

  • Country: 00
Need language help
« on: December 18, 2017, 11:59:17 am »
So, Semer-Wati means something like “Unique Friend of the King”, is that correct?

Two questions, the first being, is the feminine form of that word Semer-Watit? And secondly, I know in HoN it’s used to indicate a person has been to Egypt with Hemet (AUS). What was it used to indicate in ancient times? I think I have heard of Senmut (Hatshepsut’s architect) having the title “Unique friend of the King”, but that is the only instance I know about.
~Djehuty Is Wise~

Also intrigued by Set, Wepwawet, Nit, Nekhbet, Wadjet, and Amunet.

Offline Kaemwaset

  • Country: us
Re: Need language help
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 03:03:24 pm »
Hi there~

I can only answer the 1st question. Smr wcty “unique friend of the king” is a derivative of sm3 “associate” (Sethe’s Urkunden IV). BOTH are masculine nouns. No doubt sm “priest” shows a history of the word in the masculine. It depends on the determinatives. Smr is also “to inflict pain” by altering the suffix glyphs. Senemut’s title was indeed unique (Smr wcty being a special court title) … & so was Hatchepsut as a female ruler using masculine titulars!

Hope that helps :).
Courtesy is contagious!


* Board Stats

  • stats Total Members: 3353
  • stats Total Posts: 300747
  • stats Total Topics: 20690
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955