Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question of the Weighing of the Heart Ceremony ...  (Read 786 times)

Offline Minpin

Question of the Weighing of the Heart Ceremony ...
« on: January 03, 2018, 04:43:13 am »
Hello! I'm confused because I read very different answers on different sources.

Do you pass the Weighing of the Heart Ceremony even if your heart is LIGHTER than the feather? Or does it have to be in perfect balance (not heavier but not lighter either)...

Thank you guys for your advice and knowledge!
Hail Anubis!

Offline Neshnytyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Question of the Weighing of the Heart Ceremony ...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 07:54:19 am »
My understanding has always been that your heart needs to be lighter or equal to the feather of Ma'at.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
Neshnytyinepu (Neshnyt) "Yinepu's Storm"
Sa Yinepu-Wepwawet 𓃤, mery Nut her Set her Nebt-het
they/them pronouns please
Self-Care Yinepu Advocate

Offline Gleb

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 01:17:19 pm »
I'm with Nesh here. Everywhere I looked, the heart has to be not heavier at least than the feather. Which means equal to the feather or lighter.
Senebty,
Gleb

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 02:31:35 pm »
Em hotep nefer, Minpin! :D

As Neshnyt and Gleb said above, if the heart is heavier than the feather of Ma'at, then of course one is not declared ma'a-kheru (true of speech) and allowed entrance into Aaru, the Field of Reeds. Heaviness of the heart belies a life steeped in falsehood and misdeed. This, at least, is what is conveyed properly in most popular histories and survey texts of Egyptian religion(s), which don't go into the detail these subjects deserve. What these popular histories and survey texts tend to leave out  is how this process relates to and embodies the moral-ethical and aesthetic principle of Ma'at itself.

If the heart is lighter than the feather, one reveals oneself to be overly self-righteous and a liar, likewise earning the disapproval of the Divine tribunal, since nothing can exceed Ma'at -- Ma'at being the appropriate balance and order of all things, in all things.

The heart must equal the weight of the feather, demonstrating that the individual lived a life in accordance with Ma'at. There cannot be imbalance in either direction.

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Minpin

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 06:12:27 am »

As Neshnyt and Gleb said above, if the heart is heavier than the feather of Ma'at, then of course one is not declared ma'a-kheru (true of speech) and allowed entrance into Aaru, the Field of Reeds. Heaviness of the heart belies a life steeped in falsehood and misdeed. This, at least, is what is conveyed properly in most popular histories and survey texts of Egyptian religion(s), which don't go into the detail these subjects deserve. What these popular histories and survey texts tend to leave out  is how this process relates to and embodies the moral-ethical and aesthetic principle of Ma'at itself.

If the heart is lighter than the feather, one reveals oneself to be overly self-righteous and a liar, likewise earning the disapproval of the Divine tribunal, since nothing can exceed Ma'at -- Ma'at being the appropriate balance and order of all things, in all things.

The heart must equal the weight of the feather, demonstrating that the individual lived a life in accordance with Ma'at. There cannot be imbalance in either direction.

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai

Huh, so it is equal after all? Thank you a lot for sharing what you know!!!
Hail Anubis!

Offline Kaemwaset

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 03:00:42 pm »
I think everyone may be missing the point here. You will never see an image of the scales in a position other than balanced. BALANCE is key to universal Mc3t. The scales are a metaphor to that end. If you wanted to get technical look at spell 30. It literally asks the heart to not speak or LIE against the departed! Truth is a double-edged sword as can be seen in her twin images. From the time one is born, actions, thoughts & prayers are the measure of a person. The scales are simply a visualization of a person's place in the cosmos.
Courtesy is contagious! 𓌃𓆓𓇋𓈖𓂓𓅓𓋆𓏏𓊖𓀀

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 10:27:31 pm »

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai

Huh, so it is equal after all? Thank you a lot for sharing what you know!!!

Em hotep nefer, Minpin!

Yes, precisely. :)

As Kaemwaset noted, one never sees the scale out of balance where it is depicted. This is for two key reasons. One, which Kaemwaset gave much more pointedly than I did further above, is that the scale is visually symbolic of what Ma'at is, and that our words and actions are supposed to reflect and engender it with precision. Two, this is depicting an ideal state and an ideal outcome, as all art (and the writing that goes with it) is an articulation of heka. One would never have a likeness of oneself -- essentially, a diminutive kind of soul-double -- depicted in a situation where the scale was out of balance in any way, as that is tantamount to condemning oneself to damnation! Once again, "imbalance" would include the heart being shown above ("lighter") the feather of Ma'at.

Senebty!
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠

Offline Minpin

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 10:54:46 am »
Guys, but here we can see the heart being visibly lighter as the feather and not in total balance:

https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/30.3.31/

And yet she passes the test?

The question why I'm even asking is because I got a little figure of Anubis with a heart and a feather attached to it. But they aren't perfectly even so the heart is above the feather. And I don't want to have an image of damnation stand around, you know?

That's why I was wondering.
Hail Anubis!

Offline Neshnytyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 12:25:09 pm »
I wonder if that is one of the images in which Yinepu is adjusting the scales? In some depictions He is shown assisting the deceased by altering the balance of the scales on purpose.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
Neshnytyinepu (Neshnyt) "Yinepu's Storm"
Sa Yinepu-Wepwawet 𓃤, mery Nut her Set her Nebt-het
they/them pronouns please
Self-Care Yinepu Advocate

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 01:51:58 pm »
Guys, but here we can see the heart being visibly lighter as the feather and not in total balance:

https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/30.3.31/

And yet she passes the test?

The question why I'm even asking is because I got a little figure of Anubis with a heart and a feather attached to it. But they aren't perfectly even so the heart is above the feather. And I don't want to have an image of damnation stand around, you know?

That's why I was wondering.

Em hotep nefer, Minpin! :)

Looking at the beam of the scale rather than the pans holding the ib and the feather of Ma'at, you will see that the scale is, in fact, balanced.

Moreover, the number of djed and tyet signs making up the attachments for the pans are uneven. The attachments are longer on the side of the feather than on the side of the ib. This seems to be the result of the scribe's/artist's hands not being perfect rather than an intentional ideological choice. Don't read too much into it. Where and how the beam rests is the important thing. ;)

As for your statue, I am sure there are ways for you to even it out. If it's the one I am thinking of, you could remove the chains and adjust their length, if you're handy. :)

Senebty!
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠

Offline Minpin

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 02:36:21 pm »
Thank you! You guys have been really helpful! I appreciate it a lot.
Hail Anubis!

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2621
  • stats Total Posts: 270416
  • stats Total Topics: 18088
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 101
  • stats Most Online: 182
anything