collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 119
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: I'm back  (Read 881 times)

Offline Thomas

I'm back
« on: January 22, 2018, 10:21:21 pm »
I did a lot of thinking and a lot of researching, and I always come back to doing more research and being drawn to this religion, I want to do the beginner's class, but it said I needed Parental permission to do it if I am their dependent. I am 18, but I am their dependent currently, is there any possible way I could do the class?

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
Re: I'm back
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 11:08:29 pm »
I did a lot of thinking and a lot of researching, and I always come back to doing more research and being drawn to this religion, I want to do the beginner's class, but it said I needed Parental permission to do it if I am their dependent. I am 18, but I am their dependent currently, is there any possible way I could do the class?
Em hotep Thomas,

Unfortunately there's very important reasons why you cannot go through the Beginners Class until you are a) independent or b) have permission of those you are dependent on.

The biggest reason (in my opinion) is risk to your person and your current life situation. If you are over 18, legally your parents can kick you out if you are not following their rules. This means you have the potential of becoming homeless over your interest in our beliefs, something none of us want for you. Additionally, you could potentially become subject to their insecurities, prejudices, etc, and receive some really rough times trying to keep a roof over your head with them and pursue your interest, and again, we don't want this. We're not here to tear families apart and we don't want to cause that by accepting you when we ethically shouldn't.

There are also legal reasons which, from my basic understanding, can cause us to be sued and have other potential ramifications on our religion. Which is also a thing we don't want.

These rules are in place to protect both you and us and I've never been aware of exceptions being made. I'd wait until you can talk to your parents about this and gain their permission or become independent from them. Until then, I'd become familiar with the information you'll find on our public side and the various blogs Kemetic Orthodox members use to learn more about us.

Senebty
Ra'awy

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

(They/them)

Sat Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Alexandros, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner for Serqet-Aset and Nehmet-Awai

Offline Tjemsy

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
Re: I'm back
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 01:59:31 pm »
Em hotep and welcome, friend! I am glad for your interest. ^^;

Unfortunately, as Ra'awy said, the rules are the rules. I am sympathetic to your situation; for a while I was in the same place as you, where I was over the age of adulthood, but still staying with my mother. I think I was 23 at the time, and though they no longer claimed me as a dependent, I considered myself to be financially dependent on them. Knowing that, I couldn't in good conscience apply until I was no longer under their roof. Luckily for me, I ended up moving in with some friends who were more supportive (well...they try XD) of this.

If I had applied when I was still with my mom...if she granted permission, I'd probably get trouble for it all day, every day until I left, and at the time, I had nowhere else to go. If I tried to sneak by and they found out, their reactions would probably be even more awful. I'm sure that on top of nonstop giving me grief, they're probably take and throw away/destroy everything they thought had to do with us.

We don't want that for you. We want you to stay safe and well. So until you are able to apply, you're welcome to hang out here and chat with us, and use the public side of the forums. We'll still be here for you. I think a lot of us have been in the place you are in now. And you can always PM if you'd like to get to know anyone. ^^;
Tjemsy - "Two Red Ones"

Sat Sekhmet her Set
Meryt Heru-wer, Bast, Wepwawet, Taweret, Nebthet,
 & Nefertem-Imhotep

Fedw Diviner | Tjemsy@kemet.org

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3162
  • stats Total Posts: 295219
  • stats Total Topics: 20157
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 121
  • stats Most Online: 955