collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 71
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: How do I celebrate my birthday the Kemetic way?  (Read 629 times)

Offline EclipseQueen

How do I celebrate my birthday the Kemetic way?
« on: January 23, 2018, 06:42:18 pm »
Em hotep!

Tomorrow is my 21st birthday and I don't know what prayer I should say or how to honor the Netjer for my birth. Is there a proper way to do it or should I not worry too much? Thank you!
A mind guided by Tehuty, who uses wisdom to guide their words. A heart crafted by Nut, who uses love to guide their actions. A body built by Yinepu, who uses perseverance to guide their way.
The Netjer live within you, always love yourself.

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
Re: How do I celebrate my birthday the Kemetic way?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 10:29:03 pm »
Em hotep nefer, EclispeQueen!

Heru em meses nefer en etj! :D

Insofar as I know, there isn't a uniquely Ancient Egyptian way to celebrate a birthday.

Introduction of a newborn to the community and announcing their gender is one thing -- even today, this ancient tradition involving "birth jars" is carried on in the form of the sebou' in Egypt. The sebou' is not something an adult may do, either for oneself or another adult. It is only something that is done by Egyptian families for their Egyptian babies after so many days of their having been born. But special birthday celebrations each and every year that are uniquely Egyptian are another matter entirely, and I couldn't tell you about those.

That being said, if you have a copy of Rev. Tamara Siuda's Daybook and go on over to Heruakhetymose's Kemetic calendar converter, you can look back to the day of the year you were born and figure out Who was in festival at that time. Technically speaking, the Netjeru in festival on the day of one's birth are considered one's "protectors," until such a time as one undergoes the Rite of Parent Divination.

If you don't have a copy of the Daybook, I'd be happy to look it up for you if you can give me the specific year (via private message, for confidentiality's sake).

To clarify, this idea concerning "the Netjeru in festival on the day of your birth are your maybe-temporary protectors" is not a universal belief, just a Kemetic Orthodox belief, so don't feel particularly obligated if you don't want to fully commit to the Kemetic Orthodox ways of doing things. ;) If you feel it's appropriate to make offerings to the Netjeru you are presently the most familiar with/devoted to, or to Netjer-as-"Tem" more broadly, then do what makes your heart happy. :)

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:35:31 pm by Sedjfaiemitui »
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2932
  • stats Total Posts: 285882
  • stats Total Topics: 19379