collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Circumcision in Ancient Egypt  (Read 976 times)

Offline nandor

Circumcision in Ancient Egypt
« on: February 09, 2018, 02:23:22 am »
I would like to know more about circumcision in Ancient Egypt. Apparently they were the first used this in the until now documented history. Why they used this what was the spiritual background behind? Why they thought a man born by nature is not perfect or pure? Why they thought this intervention is needed?
Some scholars think Egyptians are the inheritors of the Atlantean civilization. This way the Atlantean spiritual class practiced this also?
There is an article about this subject I found on the net here:
https://ancientneareast.org/2014/10/31/nip-tuck-circumcision-in-ancient-egypt/
This question is not yet closed.
Above and Below are not interchangeable but the same as everything is One.

Offline Inqisenu

• Shemsu
Re: Circumcision in Ancient Egypt
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 09:33:59 am »
Em hotep, nandor! *henu*

These are my thoughts on the matter, rather than evidence-based or Temple stance.

No person considered themselves perfect or pure in Ancient Egypt. Perfection is only attributed to the Gods, and purity is a state that must always be achieved since it's not stasis. We get clean (by washing ourselves, etc.), then we naturally get dirty (by sweat, dirt, blood, etc.), so we must clean again. This cycle repeats.

Just as women's natural menstrual cycle is also technically a "normal" part of nature and their body, normal does -not- equate to being pure. So steps are taken to work around them.

There are several health reasons for circumcision on a medical level, for example to help avoid certain infections & diseases. So it's potentially a procedure to help with general health, since the Egyptians were fairly concerned with purity and keeping the body clean. As to spiritual reasons, hopefully someone else can chime in since I'm not entirely certain, sorry!

Senebty, and best luck on your search!
ᐃᘛ Inqisenu ᘚᐃ
Child of Hethert-Iusaas & Heru-sa-Aset, Beloved of Set

◈ Sau Apprentice ◈

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 10:41:38 am »
Atlantis wasn’t a thing. 

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 08:22:08 pm »
Em hotep nefer, Nandor. :)

It's not a matter of "people being imperfect/impure." Rather, circumcision was 1.) ritual, 2.) a rite of passage for "transitional" adults, and 3.) not shown to be conclusively universal to all people, among all strata of society, at all times, in every region of Egypt.

There are stelae and tomb reliefs, such as the famous one found in the 6th Dynasty tomb of Ankh-ma-Hor at Saqqara, depicting mass circumcision rituals. But we don't have enough physical evidence (i.e., well-preserved human remains) to determine how many people actually underwent ritual circumcision in a given area during a given period. Some adult male mummies have been found to be -- so far as anyone can tell -- uncircumcised. Some show evidence of having been circumcised. We can't really make many conclusive statements on the basis of such inconsistent evidence. All we can say is "some people did that."

Further, while there is some documentation demonstrating that adult females, too, were circumcised, there is (at least to my knowledge) no physical evidence corroborating these (Late Antique Greek) accounts -- namely, Herodotus' account -- and very little in the way of pre-Ptolemaic written evidence substantiating it as a consistent practice. We can only assume that maybe it happened, and within the confines of Late Antiquity. We don't currently have a comprehensive understanding of that issue as it pertains to Ancient Egyptian society.

What we DO know, however, is that circumcision rites in Africa and the Near East have everything to do with graduating boys to men, and girls to women. It honestly has very little to do with notions of physical cleanliness -- a (medically false) narrative which dominates WESTERN thought, in societies (like American society) that still engage in infant male circumcision, but was not a primary concern, if ANY concern at all, to Premodern African societies.

In order to gain a more concrete understanding of what that rite of passage can mean, you would be well-served by looking at the rites of passage for Maasai boys/men in particular. The Maasai are obviously not the only African culture to undertake such rituals for and amongst themselves. However, I point to them specifically since the process is well-documented for the Maasai and it's rather easy to find peer-reviewed academic material about Maasai rites of passage versus many of the North, Central, West, and Subsaharan African tribes I could think to name here and now.

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline MarkHus

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 10:56:24 am »
This makes a lot of sense, but nothing seem to be conclusive at this point. We can only speculate. And we should.

Offline Yinepuemsaes

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 07:04:47 pm »
Personally, I am against circumcision if the person undergoing it doesn't consent, or is too young to consent.  It's a question of bodily autonomy, and personal sovereignty.  But that's just me.
Yinepuemsaes - "Yinepu is her protection"
Sat Yinepu
Meryt Bast

Offline Riley.rifle

• Remetj
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 02:46:10 am »
Came here to say basically what Yinepuemsaes said. I have no problem with people doing it, I just feel its only fair if the person undergoing the procedure can truly consent. There's a bit more to it than that, but bodily autonomy is the important part.
🙌☀
Dua Ra!
Dua Netjer!
~_^

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2840
  • stats Total Posts: 279927
  • stats Total Topics: 18832
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 103
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything