collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 78
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Beloveds?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Shediwi-Itw

• Shemsu
Beloveds?
« on: February 24, 2018, 07:22:58 pm »
My apologies if this is answered elsewhere but what exactly is a beloved? What kind of relationship is this and is it decided at the rpd? Again, sorry if it’s a silly question I’m still learning.
Daughter of Ra and Yinepu-Wepwawet, Beloved of Bast and Hethert-Sekhmet.
Hail to thee, Great Ra! Lord of the thrones of the Earth!
Self-Care Sekhmet Supporter
Profile picture is by BelugaLu on DeviantArt.

Offline Riley.rifle

• Remetj
Re: Beloveds?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 07:36:42 pm »
Em hotep,

That's not a silly question at all!

I'll let someone else answer on the nature of that kind of relationship, as I've not had my RPD yet.

But, yes, generally They are determined at your RPD.

You can have a beloveds divination if you feel you may have acquired more *after* your RPD.

I hope this helps. I'll be watching this thread as I'm interested in the concept of beloveds and I still think the relationship seems a bit mysterious (more likely it simply differs from person to person.) But I will be interested to see what others have to say.

Senebty,
Leaha
🙌☀
Dua Ra!
Dua Netjer!
~_^

Offline Gezausenu

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 07:55:44 pm »
Em hotep, friend!

Definitely not a silly question! ^_^

A Beloved is a God Who chooses to have an investment in your life, at one point or another (people have varying ideas and experiences as to whether the Beloveds divined in our RPD get involved in our lives at birth, or throughout childhood / adulthood / etc.). If our Parent(s) create us, then our Beloveds might be seen as either godparents (guardians, you know, who step forward to stake a claim in our lives) or something like aunts and uncles.

Similarly, I believe it was Hemet (AUS) who said that if our Parents are analogous the words in a book, then our Beloveds are like our reading glasses. ;)

I hope this helps a bit as well. <3 It's also worth noting that everyone has a different relationship with their Beloveds; sometimes people even feel closer to their Beloveds than their Parents at times. For example, for me, I feel very much like Ptah is a "third Parent"--although He's also the Creator of Everything, so I settle for considering Him my Grandpapa. ;) But in many ways I feel closer to Him than Mama Sekhmet; meanwhile, I currently don't have much of a relationship with Heru-Wer (at least by Himself, for the time being; if He shows up, it's with Papa Set as the Bawy). And Djehuty, bless Him, falls somewhere in the middle. <3

TL;DR: One's Beloveds are like guides and guardians; They're there to help take care of you, perhaps with different responsibilities than your Parents have towards you. Of course, that bit's all just my $0.02, and I look forward to hearing what everyone else has to say. ^_^

Senebty,
Gezausenu.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:54:27 am by Gezausenu »
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 08:23:35 pm »
I was thinking and thinking how to explain this relationship well, thank you Gezausenu for finding such good words. The RPD isn't a required step for people to take, you can be a remetj for life if you want, but it is required if you want to make the commitment of being a shemsu in the temple. All Parents and Beloveds are in fact determined at RPD through a geomantic divination, meaning there isn't interpretation but it is a definite thing where readings are specific. Something which happens in the African traditional religions I have also seen is that the deities and spirits Who show up aren't necessarily the ones we want but the ones we need.

In my case I had never even HEARD of Seshat before my RPD but within a few minutes of reading the most basic information on Her I was dropping my jaw at just how much sense it made for Her to be in my life. I learned a lot more about myself just from knowing my RPD results.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Meresinepu

• Rev. Meres - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 12:50:19 am »
Hello Terra Akhert,

Welcome to the boards.  We love questions here.  I'd like to add to what Gezausenu and Shezatwepwawet have said if I may. 

The eyeglass analogy is a good one.  That is how I understand it too, that "Beloveds" are the "filters/glasses" that are used for you to look thru to see the world and help you make sense of things. For some reason that explanation stuck with me and for me personally, it works. My beloveds are Amun, Bast, Aset and Hethert (in that order). 

When I had my RPD, I only had the Amun and Bast in my line up.  Over the years, I acquired Aset and Hethert.  When they showed up and asked me if I wanted them as a beloved, I said yes of course. So you see you can have one or more at any given time in your life.  I've never known anyone that lost a beloved after they acquired that Name.

Hope that helps a little more.

Senebty!
Rev. Meresinepu [She loves Yinepu] Weptesmerutef {Her Mission is his Love}
Sat Yinepu/Wepwawet, meryt Amun her Bast her Aset her HetHert

"Gone am I, caught by the Underworld, yet cleansed and alive in the beyond." (from an Old Kingdom funerary text)

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 08:48:47 am »
Em Hotep, Everyone!

I'm enjoying the answers everyone has given!

For example, for me, I feel very much like Ptah is a "third Parent"--although He's also the Creator of Everything, so I settle for considering Him my Grandpapa. ;)

I second that!  Ptah-Sokar-Wesir is definitely "Grandfather" for me, as well. :) 

Other gods have shown up, besides the beloveds in my RPD.  I don't know if at some point, they will be more "officially" present.  Meanwhile, I enjoy their presence, for whatever reasons they might have.

Senebty,
Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Tjemsy

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 09:00:17 am »
Em hotep, Terra! -henu-

A Beloved is someone you are especially close to, in a way that sort of transcends how we usually think of relationships. Think of someone you might call "Beloved"; a "friend" or "good friend" vs. a "beloved friend." The word automatically carries a sense of intimacy and affection. In KO, "Beloveds" are gods you are especially close to in this way, this transcendent way, and they are (usually) determined at your RPD. You don't need to know them or have a strong relationship with them for them to be Beloveds, but they are somehow connected to you in this way, nonetheless. Personally, I would not say I am especially close with any of my Beloveds, save Heru-Wer, who, like so many of my others, has such a strong personality it is hard not to tie to him. And Nebthet, who was late-arriving. Naturally I must feel some connection to her, or I wouldn't have sought the divination. ^^;

There can be late-arriving Beloveds, who are determined in a separate "Beloved Divination" after your RPD. As mentioned, Nebthet was one for me. Yet it is possible to be close to, or even very close to Names who are not Beloveds. As far as we know, one doesn't "lose" Beloveds. There are times where a Name will step forward and have a powerful influence on you and your life, and then step back, but these Names are not necessarily Beloveds.

Some people, like myself, understand one's Parents as sort of "Who" you are, where your Beloveds are "How" you are. I think of Beloveds like the good fairies from Sleeping Beauty; they each bestow upon you a "gift" that makes up who you are. So, for me, they influence personality. Bravery from Heru-Wer, Joy/Song from Bast, Insight from Wepwawet, Nurturing from Taweret, and Compassion from Nebthet. Others believe that your Parents and Beloveds influence the creation of your soul. How we interpret our Parents' and Beloveds' influence upon us and our lives seems to vary widely from person to person. ^^;
Tjemsy - "Two Red Ones"

Sat Sekhmet her Set
Meryt Heru-wer, Bast, Wepwawet, Taweret, Nebthet,
 & Nefertem-Imhotep

Offline Gezausenu

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 10:40:24 am »
Em hotep, friends! Loving this discussion. <3

You might also not have any idea Who your Beloveds are as well at the time of your RPD. Djehuty was the only Name I'd had any relationship with pre-RPD among my Beloveds--or so I'd known--though it turns out that Ptah was there all along. But aside from a few instances where I felt compelled to talk to Him, up until that point I didn't really know Him much at all (although He's generally very quiet; a "still, small voice", as it were).

This having been said, because I'd had the longest relationship with Djehuty and felt so close to Him, I was almost sure He was going to be a Parent. ;)

Finally, I think I remember Hemet (AUS) saying that part of the heka she does around the Beginners' Class involves asking our Gods (Parents and Beloveds) to be close to us. I think that's part of why we're asked during the class to try and keep our shrines neutral and minds open--to give Them room to work, and ourselves the chance to be receptive to Them. Back to Ptah for a moment: it was during my Beginners' Class that I first felt Him as a tangible presence in my life, and lo and behold, there He was as my First Beloved! <3

Senebty!
Gezausenu.
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 10:45:13 am »
Em hotep nefer, Terra Akhert!

I think a helpful way of looking at Beloved-deities with respect to Parent-deities is as a constellation. Your Parent is like the biggest star in the grouping -- or the two biggest stars (there are never more than two Parents). Your Beloveds are like the stars oriented around that one or those two main stars. Together, They create a meaningful picture for Their particular observer in an otherwise barely-comprehensible sky full of various celestial bodies. :)

Another way of looking at it is as a temple complex (though it's a later example, here is the floor plan of Edfu for a rough idea as to where things generally sit): The Parents are the chief deities of a temple, one that's named for Them. Their holy-of-holies is located in the innermost sanctuary along the central axis. But the chief deities of a temple aren't the only deities of a temple -- there are other shrines within this temple complex that are dedicated to other deities related to the chief deities, existing around this center: these are your Beloveds. And They're all shown, in different scenes on the temple's many walls, in various combinations performing various holy actions, expressing the importance of each to the other. :)

As a few others already noted, each individual's relationship to their Parent(s) and their Beloved(s) differ in outward expression as well as inward feeling, though there is a consistent essence to these relationships. That is to say, Parent-deities ALWAYS have primacy in an individual's worship, whether the individual personally "feels close" to Them or not. An individual cannot become a Fedw-diviner for anyone other than their Parent(s). Similarly, insofar as I have been told by our Nisut Rev. Tamara Siuda and have otherwise observed in my nearly six years with this Temple, an initiated individual cannot in an official capacity be inaugurated as a priest within the priesthood of Kemetic Orthodoxy of any deities other than one's Parent(s). What that means is that one is the priest to one's Parent(s) FIRST, not that one cannot ever serve any other deities in any way.

Lastly, as Neheh alluded to above, having the RPD done doesn't limit Who you can and can't have worship-relationships with. All the RPD itself determines is "Who you serve first, and in what order." And, as Gezausenu and others have just said, there are "late arrival" Beloveds -- Yinepu was my first post-RPD Beloved confirmed through BD by our Nisut (AUS), and I suspect that Sobek and/or Djehuty will be confirmed as Beloveds in the not-so-distant future. ;)

I hope this helps!

Senebty!
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline A'Aqytsekhmet

• Rev. A'aqyt - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 10:51:36 am »
em hotep,

I do agree with what has been said so far, and have experienced similar things myself. My beloveds are very close to my heart, some quieter and more set back where others are very forefront and center. I think there is also a few things I can add.

Your full line-up is given at the RPD and it is a wonderful experience. And as mentioned if you feel a name wants to be taken as beloved later on you can get an additional beloved divination when you are ready to add them on.

Now, there are a few nuances people have shared over the years when additional beloved divination come up.
There can be beloveds that were in your RPD originally that chose not to show themselves at the time, waiting for you to be ready to take them on. I know of atleast one person who shared that their additional beloved had been there the whole time but was waiting on them.

There are also experiences when an additional divination was done where the beloved demanded to be added to their line-up. There was no choice or decision just the 'you are taking me' feeling, with lots of love of course.

Then there were what my additional divination experiences were. I chose to do two additional beloved divinations in the last few years. After connecting with these additional gods for the better part of a year each, I felt strongly that I wanted the divination. And each experience was the same. They basically said, "We are here if you want us, but it is your choice." To which I replied, 'Of course!'  So it was not that they did not want to be with me but that they wanted me to make that final call.
For me this was for both Nefertem and Wenut (Bast-as-Wenut).

Now, having said all that I believe[personally] there is an added facet to the gods that come forward in your RPD and line-up. I have had someone jokingly, and lovingly, call my line-up 'Team Busy' and upon reflection I find this very accurate. I took on a lot of gods. And while I understand that their influence in my life can be described as 'glasses' or 'influences' I have come to think there is more to it.

For myself, Beloveds step forward as what you need and also what you need to do. They bring with them their own insights into yourself, your world, and your work. They bring with them the presence, energy, obstacles, devotion, and duty that is personal to them into your life. The work or duty they bring along with them may be simple, like fostering and supporting your want to help animals, or could be more powerful such as elevating your activist spirit for social justice. Its not that they demand these things from us, but that they are there to support those pieces we are already nurturing or seeded.
I think that is why we get these small hints from the different additional beloved experiences. Some of those energies were there the whole time waiting on you to catch up, some demand that you take them on, and some want you to make the choice to move forward with them.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 10:53:12 am by A'Aqytsekhmet »
Sat Sekhmet-Nebetuu meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, Wenut, Sokar-Wesir
Nekhen Iakhu Ihy Neferu Khau
Fedw Diviner  -  Shrine Image Service available  -  Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Zazzle Shop - Patreon[

Offline Tjemsy

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 11:33:14 am »
For myself, Beloveds step forward as what you need and also what you need to do. They bring with them their own insights into yourself, your world, and your work. They bring with them the presence, energy, obstacles, devotion, and duty that is personal to them into your life. The work or duty they bring along with them may be simple, like fostering and supporting your want to help animals, or could be more powerful such as elevating your activist spirit for social justice. Its not that they demand these things from us, but that they are there to support those pieces we are already nurturing or seeded.
I think that is why we get these small hints from the different additional beloved experiences. Some of those energies were there the whole time waiting on you to catch up, some demand that you take them on, and some want you to make the choice to move forward with them.

I love this! I was thinking about duty, but more in the sense that my Beloveds in some way help me to, or become the person who can (best), serve my Parents. I think the idea of them each bringing their own Something for you to Be is quite lovely, and it matches well with my thought of Becoming as influences on personality. Thank you for your insight. I've never heard Beloveds described in this way, before. <3
Tjemsy - "Two Red Ones"

Sat Sekhmet her Set
Meryt Heru-wer, Bast, Wepwawet, Taweret, Nebthet,
 & Nefertem-Imhotep

Offline Awibemhethert

• Rev Ellen, Ordained Priest - Web Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 12:57:03 pm »
Beautifully said, Rev A`Aqyt! I may put that somewhere to ponder every now and again.

Ibi
Rev Awibemhethert
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet
meryt Wesir

Self-Care Hethert Keeper

Offline Shediwi-Itw

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 03:51:35 pm »
Thank you all for your answers! I feel much more comfortable and confident about the whole idea now. I have much to think on.  :)
Daughter of Ra and Yinepu-Wepwawet, Beloved of Bast and Hethert-Sekhmet.
Hail to thee, Great Ra! Lord of the thrones of the Earth!
Self-Care Sekhmet Supporter
Profile picture is by BelugaLu on DeviantArt.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2937
  • stats Total Posts: 286250
  • stats Total Topics: 19411
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217