Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 69
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Better Living Through Maat  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Shediwi-Itw

• Shemsu
Better Living Through Maat
« on: February 27, 2018, 03:54:30 pm »
I’m not 100% sure if this is the best place to put this but I’m curious, what kinds of things do you do to give back to your community? I collect old (but still in good condition) books and drop them off at free lending libraries. What are some other good ideas?
Daughter of Ra and Yinepu-Wepwawet, Beloved of Bast and Hethert-Sekhmet.
Hail to thee, Great Ra! Lord of the thrones of the Earth!
Self-Care Sekhmet Supporter
Profile picture is by BelugaLu on DeviantArt.

Offline Inqisenu

• Shemsu
Re: Better Living Through Maat
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 04:24:28 pm »
Em hotep, Terra Akhert! *henu*

I do volunteering for several different events & causes locally and in other cities, since I can give my time much better than financial aid. It helps me be less stressed by doing things, and it helps others in whatever activity is happening or needs hosting (so double Ma'at, for them and for me).

I think even community outreach attempts are great too, like getting to know your community through programs or local businesses to support them. :)

It's a neat topic, thank you for starting it!

Senebty~
ᐃᘛ Inqisenu ᘚᐃ
Child of Hethert-Iusaas & Heru-sa-Aset, Beloved of Set

◈ Sau Apprentice ◈

Offline Djehutyendy

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 07:42:24 pm »
Em hotep!

I volunteer for an organization that assists the visually impaired. They paired me up with one person and I meet with her twice a week to take her to run errands and just get out of the house. While it is only one person I am really helping, I think I have made a pretty big impact with her so I still consider this giving back to my community.

But on a smaller scale, I just try to spread joy and kindness in whatever capacity that I can. Whether it just be holding doors for people, picking something up if I noticed someone dropped something, offering to help if I notice someone is struggling/confused, or even just simply smiling at people. I feel these small types of gestures carry a lot of weight, especially since I live in a busy and populated area where so many people are grumpy or too wrapped up in their own hectic life.

I'm looking forward to hearing what others do!

Senebty,
Endy
Daughter of Djehuty and Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) | Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb
Shemsu-Ankh Liaison | Fundraising Event Coordinator | Fedw Diviner | Sau Apprentice
Blog

Offline Gleb

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 04:42:56 am »
Here in Israel it's common to volunteer for 2-3 years. Most people go to various branches in the military. Some choose a different path. I teach people with disabilities to use a computer. Nothing complicated - google services, using their special web site where they can talk with each other (there are several communities of people with disabilities across the country).

I also teach them various useful web sites, like transport web sites, the web site of their medical clinic, the government, supermarket's web site. Some people can't carry their own food or products home and have nobody to help them so they can order everything home. It eases in many ways on their lives. :)

In the end of the volunteering, the government or volunteering agencies financially help the volunteers with their lives later on and give financial help to those who later study in university or college. So it's a win-win for both the volunteers and the people helped by the volunteers.
Senebty,
Gleb

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 06:58:50 am »
Em hotep, everyone!

"We'll Meet Again" on PBS:
http://www.pbs.org/meet-again/home/

has brought home the idea of "better living through Ma'at".  It is about people whose lives crossed at pivotal moments.  It is fascinating to watch people get back in touch with those that helped them at critical periods in their lives.  The helpers diminished what they did, for to them, they were "just being a friend", "doing their job", etc.  It illustrates the ways we can make a difference.

The episodes are almost over, but I think PBS members can find it in their local "passport" sites, and DVDs might be available.

I cried often through each episode.

Senebty,
Neheh...

Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Shediwi-Itw

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 05:36:11 pm »
All awesome ideas! I’ll have to try and catch up on that show, it sounds pretty emotional. I try to compliment at least one stranger I come across at work every day. I do those click to donate sites where you view ads and companies donate to charity organizations in return. I volunteered at a no kill animal once which was so cool. I’m trying to come up with more creative ways of furthering Maat and giving back.

Offline Gezausenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 06:23:21 pm »
But on a smaller scale, I just try to spread joy and kindness in whatever capacity that I can. Whether it just be holding doors for people, picking something up if I noticed someone dropped something, offering to help if I notice someone is struggling/confused, or even just simply smiling at people. I feel these small types of gestures carry a lot of weight, especially since I live in a busy and populated area where so many people are grumpy or too wrapped up in their own hectic life.

Mmmm, this. <3 I try to live this way as well.

Also, I posted this website on another thread a while ago, but I thought I'd bring it up here as well:

https://randomwordgenerator.com/act-of-kindness.php

It's an Act of Random Kindness generator, which I've found supremely useful. Every time you refresh the page it gives you some different, usually small act of kindness you could consider doing that day. A few are religiously-inclined and a few more are a wee bit impractical, but most of them are either possible outside of a religious context or adaptable to one's situation.

And Neheh, that series sounds amazing . . . I'll have to look it up . . .

Senebty, friends!
Gezausenu.
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

Offline Shediwi-Itw

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 08:28:34 am »
I love the generator! We don’t always think of the small ways we can improve someone’s day. I work a job that allows me to pay forward if someone is a little bit short on cash (for copies and such) because other people give extra change as a donation.

I also remember I had a psychology professor in college who explained that humans were designed to feel good when they do good things for others. To me that is Maat in motion.

Offline Tanisiaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 12:08:56 pm »
There's a quote by the late, great Fred Rogers (from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, for those who remember :P) that I try to live by every day, and I feel it embodies living in Ma'at.

"If you could only sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to the people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person."

I do my very best to live up to this quote every day and let that part of myself that I leave with others be something good. I'm not always perfect (none of us are!), but I try to make every interaction, every meeting with people one that makes their day a little brighter. I'm no miracle worker, but even something as simple as a kind word or a "thank you" or even a smile can turn someone's day around. I know that has been the case for me from time to time, so I do my best to do the same for others when possible!

I might have to try that random act of kindness generator, too. :o
No longer involved.
Thank you for the wonderful memories.

I may be back, I may not, but don't hold your breath.

Offline Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 12:03:24 am »
Great topic Terra!

Everyone has something that they can do. If we keep our eyes open, the opportunity will come.

I donate a certain portion of the oils/incense/sachet powders I create, and prayer/candle lighting services, for those that I am told by the netjer to give to. I'm an introvert, so this works well and is something I really enjoy doing.

AKS
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Daughter of Yinepu-Wepwawet, Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Beloved of Heru Sa Aset

Sau Apprentice

Offline Padjaiemweru

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 07:07:14 pm »
I volunteer at the local Humane Society, doing everything from paperwork to laundry to cat cuddling!

I also, like has been mentioned, try to give back a sense of happiness and wellbeing to those around me, whether I know them or not, as simple as a smile in a crowded store, or holding a door open, or letting a car turn in front of me, it all goes towards that "cosmic goodness" or whatever you call it :)
Padjaiemweru
The Great Ones provide (for) me

Son of Bast-Mut and Heru-wer
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Seshat-Nit-Nebthet, and Set

(Avatar based on work by Jennie Breedon)

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2912
  • stats Total Posts: 284191
  • stats Total Topics: 19209
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 108
  • stats Most Online: 217