collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 51
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Kemetic Orthodox Shrine  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Shediwi-Itw

• Shemsu
Kemetic Orthodox Shrine
« on: March 06, 2018, 11:45:34 pm »
So I am preparing my shrine for the beginner course. I am making sure that it is neutral and simple although it feels weird and a little wrong to remove my deity icons. I know it’s temporary and The Netjeru will understand why I’m doing it but it still feels weird.

Also, I’ve read that in KO we should have a white altar cloth made of natural materials but not wool. I have two questions about that. One, I don’t have a white altar cloth so is it okay if I just sit everything on the wooden shrine until I can get one? Also, why is wool considered a no no?
Daughter of Ra and Yinepu-Wepwawet, Beloved of Bast and Hethert-Sekhmet.
Hail to thee, Great Ra! Lord of the thrones of the Earth!
Self-Care Sekhmet Supporter
Profile picture is by BelugaLu on DeviantArt.

Offline Temimensenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Kemetic Orthodox Shrine
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 01:52:34 am »
Em Hotep Terra,

I can’t answer the ‘cloth or no cloth’ aspect (although in personal opinion any cloth over a surface would do just for peace of mind that it’s new and for that sole purpose)

As for wool, if I remember correctly from the Class it’s seen as impure due to being animal parts, same as you wouldn’t put bones or the like on your shrine.

I’ve got to go to work so I can’t give a more detailed reply, my apologies - I’m sure someone will be happy enough to go into greater depth than I can.
Temi
Son of Bast, Sobek, and Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) || Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Amun, and Yinepu-Wepwawet

Beginners Class Liaison || Fedw Diviner for Bast and Sobek

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 06:01:58 am »
Em hotep nefer, Terra Akhert!

The reason for avoiding wool has to do with traditional methods of processing wool. Most traditional methods of processing wool from around the world, until many years after the commencement of the Industrial Revolution, involved soaking raw wool in a urine-based solution before willowing the wool. Modern techniques of wool-processing are infinitely more sanitary and markedly less smelly, but the avoidance still stands.

Flax was the most popular and preferred fiber among Ancient Egyptians, as flax was plentiful along the Nile Valley, and makes for linen that is both very fine and very durable. Wool fibers were indeed used by Ancient Egyptians, especially by Levantine transplants residing in Egypt, but wool garments were much more specific to certain purposes and conditions (none of them having to do with temple activities, at least not to the present extent of my knowledge), and were comparatively rarer with respect to flax-linen garments.

Re: animal parts and petroleum products -- The use of these materials are advised against in the Modern religion of Kemetic Orthodoxy, the basic explanation for this being that "it's dead energy, therefore profaning." However, Ancient Egyptian religion(s) didn't have many such hard-and-fast prohibitions concerning such items, though the parts of animals taboo to specific cults would of course be off the proverbial menu. A number of cult objects and ritual tools would be made from animal parts (not the least of which being hippo-tusk wands and priestly leopard-skins, though there were also mock-leopard skins in circulation, likely on account of the difficulty of procuring genuine leopard skins). Similarly, bitumen, a primitive asphalt and strong binding agent of a rich black color, was a common material employed in various rituals throughout Ancient Near Eastern religions and was sometimes used to coat (often wooden) statues representing certain spirits and deities for Whom black was a ritually-significant color.

Plenty of what we now know to be toxic materials -- like the bitumen I just mentioned ;) -- were ritually employed by Ancient Egyptians and other Ancient Near Eastern / North African peoples. For obvious reasons pertaining to personal health and safety, we avoid all those now. :P There are many safer, more convenient alternatives at our collective disposal. As for genuine hippo-tusks, leopard skins, and similar items harvested from exotic animals, the dubious legality of their purchase and possession along with the potential endangerment of threatened wildlife are more of a reason not to use them in the recreation of traditionally-styled ritual objects than virtually anything else.

Re: shrine cloths -- I personally prefer not to use any, as they have proven to be nothing but magnets for cat hair, dust, and just the stubbornest candle wax (that I somehow keep winding up with). That being said, it is indeed formally recommended that you use a (white) altar cloth. :)

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Shediwi-Itw

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 08:37:01 am »
Thank you for the extremely helpful answers! I’m going to be procuring a white altar cloth (hopefully linen) soon. I do have another question regarding the animal parts. In addition to Kemeticism I practice another religion that does include the keeping of animal parts on and around an altar. These were all legally and humanely gathered. My altar is kept in an cabinet with doors that has three shelves. Each shelf is a separate altar for a separate purpose. Is it okay to keep animal products on their specific altar (one shelf down from my Kemetic altar) as long as they never touch?
Daughter of Ra and Yinepu-Wepwawet, Beloved of Bast and Hethert-Sekhmet.
Hail to thee, Great Ra! Lord of the thrones of the Earth!
Self-Care Sekhmet Supporter
Profile picture is by BelugaLu on DeviantArt.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3253
  • stats Total Posts: 298449
  • stats Total Topics: 20457
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything