Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Lesser Known Gods As Parents/Beloveds  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Rekeh-Wer

Lesser Known Gods As Parents/Beloveds
« on: April 22, 2018, 12:25:34 am »
Em hotep! I do apologize if this has already been brought up (please send me a link to the thread if so!), but lately I've been getting some anxieties about not seeing my gods in my line up. I plan to take the beginner's class in June, so I've still got plenty of time to think about it!! But I thought I'd just go ahead and get some information/advice.

A few deities I currently work with, and very much love, are some I've yet to see anyone be divined children/beloveds of. I've seen many people divined for "big names" like Set or Bast, but not Tutu or Sepa. Should I be worried They won't show up for me? Or can someone even be divined under Them in the first place? If so, do big names gods have a higher chance ratio than more obscure ones, or do all Netjeru get an equal chance?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, I'm just afraid I'll be a child/beloved for someone I don't have much connection with simply because They're statistically more likely to show up. :'( Being a child/beloved of any god is a blessing, of course, but the anxiety is still there.

P.S. If any of these questions can't be answered due to process of RPD being a secret rite, I understand!

Thank you!
Great Burning
Khonsu | Set | Shai | Ma'ahes | Horus the Red
𓁳𓁣𓀭𓃬𓇼

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
Re: Lesser Known Gods As Parents/Beloveds
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 06:59:57 am »
Em hotep! I do apologize if this has already been brought up (please send me a link to the thread if so!), but lately I've been getting some anxieties about not seeing my gods in my line up. I plan to take the beginner's class in June, so I've still got plenty of time to think about it!! But I thought I'd just go ahead and get some information/advice.

A few deities I currently work with, and very much love, are some I've yet to see anyone be divined children/beloveds of. I've seen many people divined for "big names" like Set or Bast, but not Tutu or Sepa. Should I be worried They won't show up for me? Or can someone even be divined under Them in the first place? If so, do big names gods have a higher chance ratio than more obscure ones, or do all Netjeru get an equal chance?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, I'm just afraid I'll be a child/beloved for someone I don't have much connection with simply because They're statistically more likely to show up. :'( Being a child/beloved of any god is a blessing, of course, but the anxiety is still there.

P.S. If any of these questions can't be answered due to process of RPD being a secret rite, I understand!

Thank you!

Em hotep nefer, Anaputuwet!

I wouldn't worry. Using myself as an example, Banebdjedet and Herishef hadn't stepped forward for anyone else in the House before, but They came forward for me as Father and Beloved, respectively. I had, by the time I applied for my RPD, developed extensive worship-relationships with both of Them, but Herishef in particular. It is more often the case than not that people intuit which deities they will have life-long worship-relationships with on their own, independent of the RPD, which the RPD confirms in some capacity.

Above and beyond that, the RPD doesn't invalidate any worship-relationships you have or will ever develop outside your "lineup." Sobek didn't appear for me, but I am still devoted to Him and love Him just the same. The same applies to Rešep -- Who, while His worship is Levantine in origin, became thoroughly Egyptianized during and after the Thutmosid Conquests -- and is one of the deities that I am both volitionally and ancestrally connected to (being of largely Mediterranean heritage and also ethnically Jewish -- Rešep was a significant deity in pre-Monarchial Israelite and Judahite polytheisms). For Ba'l-Haddu / Rammān it is the same as for Rešep, though He comes chiefly through my First Father, Set. While the particular "Set-Haddu" syncretism wasn't declared in my RPD and never will be, it is nevertheless a pervasive feature of my worship-relationship with Set.

Some deities won't appear at the time of your RPD, but might a year or more down the road, during a separate Beloved Divination. Some deities require a level of "readiness" that the deities Who step forward for a person during the RPD do not require, and must be worked-up to by whatever means under whatever conditions -- those deities may even offer you a choice when that time comes (as it was for me with Yinepu). Still more deities will become the focus of someone's worship for a certain period of time and then will recede into the background of one's religious life -- in other words, some deities appear in a person's life for specific purposes, and once those purposes are fulfilled with/by the worshiper, They go on Their merry way.

Don't beat yourself up for feeling anxious about all this, whatever you do. Just know that, in time, that anxiety should pass of its own accord as you become more comfortable with your worship-relationships. The deities Who appear are the deities you need, even if you don't understand the significances of this or that deity's Parent- or Beloved-status right away. :)

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Online Tjemsy

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 07:28:41 am »
Em hotep, friend! -henu- <3

The RPD doesn't really do statistically-more-likely, because it's always very individual and geared toward specifically that person. The Names that are yours will come forward, even if you don't understand them at the time. You won't get stuck with any Name just because a lot of people have them in their lineup.

More and more, lately, we are seeing unusual forms and Names and relationships appearing. For example, we once thought Geb could never be a Parent, being that he is sort of the Parent of "everyone," but we do have a child of Geb in the House. My late-appearing Beloved Nefertem comes in the form of Nefertem-Imhotep, which is another combination previously thought to be impossible. Since Imhotep is a deified human, it was thought he cannot be in one's lineup.

A lot of people have expressed interest in Sepa, lately. I'm curious to see where that leads! <3
Tjemsy - "Two Red Ones"

Sat Sekhmet her Set
Meryt Heru-wer, Bast, Wepwawet, Taweret, Nebthet,
 & Nefertem-Imhotep

Fedw Diviner | Tjemsy@kemet.org

Offline Padjaiemweru

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 12:10:49 pm »
As others have said, don't worry.

Also remember, the RPD and it's results do not determine who you can have a relationship with. Worship any and all you have the time and energy (and finances :P ) to do so. There is no limit. Enjoy the relationships you have and be open to new ones.
Padjaiemweru
The Great Ones provide (for) me
Son of Bast-Mut and Heru-wer
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Seshat-Nit-Nebthet, and Set

Offline Rekeh-Wer

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 04:09:46 pm »

I wouldn't worry. Using myself as an example, Banebdjedet and Herishef hadn't stepped forward for anyone else in the House before, but They came forward for me as Father and Beloved, respectively. I had, by the time I applied for my RPD, developed extensive worship-relationships with both of Them, but Herishef in particular. It is more often the case than not that people intuit which deities they will have life-long worship-relationships with on their own, independent of the RPD, which the RPD confirms in some capacity.

Above and beyond that, the RPD doesn't invalidate any worship-relationships you have or will ever develop outside your "lineup." Sobek didn't appear for me, but I am still devoted to Him and love Him just the same. The same applies to Rešep -- Who, while His worship is Levantine in origin, became thoroughly Egyptianized during and after the Thutmosid Conquests -- and is one of the deities that I am both volitionally and ancestrally connected to (being of largely Mediterranean heritage and also ethnically Jewish -- Rešep was a significant deity in pre-Monarchial Israelite and Judahite polytheisms). For Ba'l-Haddu / Rammān it is the same as for Rešep, though He comes chiefly through my First Father, Set. While the particular "Set-Haddu" syncretism wasn't declared in my RPD and never will be, it is nevertheless a pervasive feature of my worship-relationship with Set.

Some deities won't appear at the time of your RPD, but might a year or more down the road, during a separate Beloved Divination. Some deities require a level of "readiness" that the deities Who step forward for a person during the RPD do not require, and must be worked-up to by whatever means under whatever conditions -- those deities may even offer you a choice when that time comes (as it was for me with Yinepu). Still more deities will become the focus of someone's worship for a certain period of time and then will recede into the background of one's religious life -- in other words, some deities appear in a person's life for specific purposes, and once those purposes are fulfilled with/by the worshiper, They go on Their merry way.

Don't beat yourself up for feeling anxious about all this, whatever you do. Just know that, in time, that anxiety should pass of its own accord as you become more comfortable with your worship-relationships. The deities Who appear are the deities you need, even if you don't understand the significances of this or that deity's Parent- or Beloved-status right away. :)

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai

Thank you so much for sharing your story!! It makes me feel a lot better about whatever might happen. I get that RPD doesn't limit who you can worship, it's just kinda scary to think a god I love now won't be a god I devote my religious life to, but in retrospect I did go through that "God comes into your life to fulfill a purpose and then leaves" with Ra, so I'm not so worried about that anymore.

Hearing that the gods I get are ultimately the gods I need calms my nerves as well! I guess I should just trust "the heart of the cards", as they say in Yugioh.

I also wanted to say that I actually follow you on deviantArt and love your artwork and photography!!

The RPD doesn't really do statistically-more-likely, because it's always very individual and geared toward specifically that person. The Names that are yours will come forward, even if you don't understand them at the time. You won't get stuck with any Name just because a lot of people have them in their lineup.

More and more, lately, we are seeing unusual forms and Names and relationships appearing. For example, we once thought Geb could never be a Parent, being that he is sort of the Parent of "everyone," but we do have a child of Geb in the House. My late-appearing Beloved Nefertem comes in the form of Nefertem-Imhotep, which is another combination previously thought to be impossible. Since Imhotep is a deified human, it was thought he cannot be in one's lineup.

A lot of people have expressed interest in Sepa, lately. I'm curious to see where that leads! <3

I actually didn't know RPDs are individualized! I know you take a sort of personality test, but the rest I assumed was kept to an exact standard. It's really cool to learn about that, so thank you for telling me!

Yeah, I've heard of unspoken "rules" like that! Or common occurrences, rather, like Set and Heru-wer being in the same lineup or Aset always being an only parent. If it's possible for deified humans to be Parents or Beloved, is it possible for deified pharaohs to be Parents and Beloveds, too? Or at least a Beloved, since we've only seen one deified human in your case!

In regards to Sepa, me too! I've been spending a lot of time with Him recently and have found an unexpected amount of love and comfort from a god Who takes His form after a centipede. It was a lovely surprise!

Also remember, the RPD and it's results do not determine who you can have a relationship with. Worship any and all you have the time and energy (and finances :P ) to do so. There is no limit. Enjoy the relationships you have and be open to new ones.

Oh you know I will!! My concern is that I'm not yet sure Who's going to take first place in the "Who Gets The Most Attention" competition, or if it's even going to be Someone I've met before. Still, you make a good point in being open to new relationships. It's something I should always keep in mind!
Great Burning
Khonsu | Set | Shai | Ma'ahes | Horus the Red
𓁳𓁣𓀭𓃬𓇼

Offline Teritui

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 11:22:35 am »

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai

Thank you so much for sharing your story!! It makes me feel a lot better about whatever might happen. I get that RPD doesn't limit who you can worship, it's just kinda scary to think a god I love now won't be a god I devote my religious life to, but in retrospect I did go through that "God comes into your life to fulfill a purpose and then leaves" with Ra, so I'm not so worried about that anymore.

Hearing that the gods I get are ultimately the gods I need calms my nerves as well! I guess I should just trust "the heart of the cards", as they say in Yugioh.

I also wanted to say that I actually follow you on deviantArt and love your artwork and photography!!

I actually didn't know RPDs are individualized! I know you take a sort of personality test, but the rest I assumed was kept to an exact standard. It's really cool to learn about that, so thank you for telling me!

Yeah, I've heard of unspoken "rules" like that! Or common occurrences, rather, like Set and Heru-wer being in the same lineup or Aset always being an only parent. If it's possible for deified humans to be Parents or Beloved, is it possible for deified pharaohs to be Parents and Beloveds, too? Or at least a Beloved, since we've only seen one deified human in your case!

In regards to Sepa, me too! I've been spending a lot of time with Him recently and have found an unexpected amount of love and comfort from a god Who takes His form after a centipede. It was a lovely surprise!

Oh you know I will!! My concern is that I'm not yet sure Who's going to take first place in the "Who Gets The Most Attention" competition, or if it's even going to be Someone I've met before. Still, you make a good point in being open to new relationships. It's something I should always keep in mind!

Hey Anap!

So, I think you might have some misunderstandings? I hope to clear things up for you (I mean this in a nice way, sorry if I seem snotty because I don't mean it that way!)

There's no personality test. We fill out a form to send to Hemet (AUS) ahead of time, answering basic questions like if we have any gods that intimidate us. This form helps Hemet (AUS) see what we expect from the RPD, and it also fulfills the necessity of a physical representation from us on the altar.

There are a few Netjeru, IIRC, that have straight-up said They will not appear in the RPD. I think that They include the gods of the Ogdoad and the Nun, but I could be mixing something up. I think everyone else besides those who have said they won't are a possibility.

And the thing about Set and Heru-wer is a rule- well, kinda. They said that when one is a Parent, the other must at least be a Beloved (do we have any Set and HW dual-parented kids in the House? Curious) . It always appears that way in the shells, too. (The RPD is done with specially-made cowrie shells. There is an in-depth post about the process in one of my questions in Ask the Nisut, if you're curious!)

In a similar way, Aset explained she is always going to be a single Mother, just as Set has declared that as far as the RPD is concerned his children are *always* going to be dual-parented with another god, because of balance.

(Sorry, I'm rambling now. I find the RPD and its quirks fascinating!)

As for "who gets the most attention", that's usually a concern for the Shemsu vows. And remember, there is no obligation to take them right away! Just because most people do, doesn't mean you have to haha. A lot of people get that confused! Saying no to being a Shemsu at the RPD doesn't mean saying no forever.

And even if you decide to be a Shemsu, the vows you take are ultimately between you and your gods.

Feel free to DM me on Tumblr if you ever want to talk about this or anything! As someone who was somewhat surprised by her lineup, I have a few thoughts on the RPD and the things it can teach you. I'm still learning so much!

(I'm Speckled).
Teritui: I respect my Two Fathers
Daughter of: Ptah-Sokar-Wesir and Heru-wer
Beloved of: Sekhmet-Hethert, Set and Taweret
Sau apprentice

Offline Wenunisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 05:02:40 pm »
Above-mentioned child of Geb here! The others have said what I would say much better than I would have said it, but my 2 cents from pre-RPD jitters is that it’s okay to be anxious or apprehensive that Names you’ve developed a relationship with won’t show up. I was pretty nervous that Dad won’t be there. But from my experience, processing this idea that They may not be there and you may have other Names in your life can actually be really helpful. For me, it helped renew my relationship with Dad and move into a different ‘phase’ or ‘flavour’ which was something He wanted to happen anyway.
Child of Geb and Nut, Beloved of Sekhmet-Mut

Wenuni for short

Pronouns: They/them

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 06:28:49 pm »
Em hotep Teritui!

There are two Gods Who will not show up in RPD, Atum/Tem and Ma'at. We are all Their children.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Tuteniaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 10:22:07 pm »
Em hotep Anaputuwet,

I had the same jitters about one of my Beloveds, Wadjet-- I had a close relationship with her for the entire time I was in the House before RPD and was worried she would not show up because she isn't as popular as some of the Big Names. The night before RPD, I prayed to her and told her to let me know and I got an overwhelming sense of "I'm here, stop worrying." The next day I was thrilled when She was my third Beloved in my line up.

Just another story to help put your mind at ease, the Names do not want us to eat our hearts when it comes to who is there because it's not like you cannot have relationships with Names outside of your line up... and sometimes you find out that a Name you have a relationship outside of your line up is connected to one in your line up because of the various multitude of syncretic gods!

I hope you enjoy the beginner's class!

Senebty

Tuteni
Sat Aset-Serqet 𓎬
Meryt Ra, Djehuty, her Wadjet
𓎬𓆫 𓅄𓁟𓆗
Usui Reiki Master/Teacher

Offline Teritui

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 11:35:37 am »
Em hotep Teritui!

There are two Gods Who will not show up in RPD, Atum/Tem and Ma'at. We are all Their children.

Ah, thank you Shezatwepwawet! I don't know how I got it that mixed up, haha!
Teritui: I respect my Two Fathers
Daughter of: Ptah-Sokar-Wesir and Heru-wer
Beloved of: Sekhmet-Hethert, Set and Taweret
Sau apprentice

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 01:48:10 pm »
Em hotep nefer, all! 🤗

Responding to what Teritui said above: "There are a few Netjeru, IIRC, that have straight-up said They will not appear in the RPD. I think that They include the gods of the Ogdoad and the Nun, but I could be mixing something up. I think everyone else besides those who have said they won't are a possibility."

We have at least one child of Amunet here, being Tabau. Amunet is one of the traditional Khmeniu (Ogdoad), along with Amun. Further, while we don't know whether the Amun of Waset later popularized and "nationalized" under the Intefs, Montuhoteps, and Amunemhats and the Amun of Khmun (Hermopolis Magna) were originally the same deity, in later periods Their identities were indeed fused. In several different reliefs in several different rooms of the Persian Period temple of Hebet (Hibis) in the El-Khargeh oasis, for example, Amunet wearing the Deshret crown is shown standing behind an enthroned, anthropomorphic (that is, fully human in appearance) Amun-Re. Even so late into Ancient Egyptian history, They are shown as a complementary pair as They were in the very ancient Hermopolitan theogonic scheme. Similarly, Gereh and Gerehet (m. and f. "Night," respectively) frequently take Their place when the Khmeniu are represented there, demonstrating Amunet and Amun's unique-but-not-exclusive status.

That being established, the Amun(-Re) we know and love is arguably a member of the Khmeniu, and has appeared as a Parent for several of us in various forms. This, on top of Amunet having appeared for at least one among us. Ergo, it is arguable that the Khmeniu aren't of the nature that Atum and Ma'at are vis-a-vis the RPD -- They just likely won't show up as an ENTIRE group in a Parent or Beloved slot. ☺️

Senebty!
Sedjfai
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 05:45:49 pm by Sedjfaiemitui »
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 11:25:59 pm »
Em hotep!

Please note: Some "lesser known 'Gods'" as put forth by Egyptologists in the past may or may not currently be considered Gods within our system. Mertseger is one of these cases, where Sekhmet can use that title, but it also references a very big Netjeri.

As others have said, lesser known Names can come through better known ones, like my Nehmet-Awai who is Hethert-Nut as Nehmet-Awai. So you may get Sobek as Tutu.

Tutu might also be too big and wide a Name (as He gets some Tem titles) to show up directly, but rather have claim to everyone.
I'm not too sure about Sepa though. 😅

Senebty
Ra'awy

(They/them)

Sa Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), mery Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Alexandros, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner for Serqet-Aset and Nehmet-Awai

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3260
  • stats Total Posts: 298659
  • stats Total Topics: 20479
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 117
  • stats Most Online: 955