Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 51
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Opinions on Grimal's work  (Read 452 times)

Offline Capra

• Beginner
Opinions on Grimal's work
« on: April 06, 2018, 09:10:58 pm »
Em hotep and Hi all:

I took a look at my local library and sadly couldn't find anything that was on the rec'd book list. [I admit that I was very amused at the Budge side-eyes - Stargate got something right!  ;D]

I was able to find A History of Ancient Egypt by Nicolas Grimal.(English translation of original French) Anyone familiar with this? Anything to watch out for? It was written in the late 80's so I'm going to assume that research has moved on in some things.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 03:14:00 pm by Capra »

Offline meritamon

Re: Opinions on Grimal's work
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 08:04:41 am »
Em hotep!
I have the book by Nicolas Grimal!
It is one of the main books for the Egyptology course at universities here in Italy.
I didn't study archeology while I was attending Uni (unfortunately I was not making good choices back then!) but recently I was looking for a trustable source for Egyptian history and I looked up what the university courses requested: the Grimal was on top of the list.

I still didn't read it but I understood it is widely considered a milestone in the study of the Ancient Egyptian civilization on an academic level, since Grimal explains a lot not only abut the history itself (dynasties etc.) but also about the research attitude one must develop into approaching and seeking the meaning beyond the finds and the monuments  of Ancient Kemet.

I can only guess that every potential interpretation or update could be given by the Professors themselves during academic lessons (which would be the "notes" part of the subsequent examination).

Hope this could help!

p.s. I personally own the latest edition of the text which is dated 2017.

Meritamon

Offline Capra

• Beginner
Re: Opinions on Grimal's work
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 04:19:58 pm »
Thanks! That reassures me that it's not total bunk. (I remember trying to read 'Chariots of the Gods' by mistake when I was a kid. Not at all what I thought it was. :O)

Senebty :)

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2836
  • stats Total Posts: 279816
  • stats Total Topics: 18825
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 103
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything