collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 30
  • Dot Hidden: 3
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Yinepu / Wepawet Vs. Legba / Kalfu?  (Read 1528 times)

Offline cinemachameleon

Yinepu / Wepawet Vs. Legba / Kalfu?
« on: April 18, 2018, 03:06:23 pm »
Yinepu / Wepawet Vs. Legba / Kalfu?

I had only become aware of some making a comparison of Legba to Yinepu and/or Wepawet, recently; and only learned of Kalfu and His relationship to Legba, even more recently.

Is there some kind of connection between these two pairs of twin-brothers / dual-aspects?

Offline Tasedjeb

• Shemsu
Re: Yinepu / Wepawet Vs. Legba / Kalfu?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 03:48:16 pm »
I’m no expert, but I would say not?  I mean other than the fact that both belief systems have roots in Africa and some vodou practitioners do trace their roots back to kemet. 

Yinepu and Wepwawet are gods.  We consider Them aspects of each other, but not in the “cool/hot” way of rada vs petwo lwa.

Legba/Kalfou are not gods, but are powerful spirits in service to Bondye, the Creator and One God. 

Wepwawet does share the whole “Way Opener” thing that Legba/Kalfou have. And while Yinepu is associated with death, mummification, and being a psychopomp, it isn’t in any way nefarious like Kalfou is often portrayed. Also, I think Kalfou is not associated with death so much as he is with misfortune and sorcery.  He opens the gates to those things. If Yinepu is opening any Ways, it’s probably to the Duat itself.

There are people here more well versed in both traditions than me, so I welcome correction/clarification.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 04:09:33 pm by Taji »

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 03:53:47 pm »
Em hotep!

While They have some similar jobs, there are big differences. First, Legba is both a name and a family of spirits, and Kalfou is a petwo part of that Legba family. Second, the lwa are spirits who work for Bondye, the Good God. Yinepu and Wepwawet are both Gods in Their own right. Officially there are no connections but UPG connections are not outside of the realm of possibility.

(edit: was wrapping this up as Taji posted.)
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Tasedjeb

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 03:57:33 pm »
Em hotep!

While They have some similar jobs, there are big differences. First, Legba is both a name and a family of spirits, and Kalfou is a petwo part of that Legba family. Second, the lwa are spirits who work for Bondye, the Good God. Yinepu and Wepwawet are both Gods in Their own right. Officially there are no connections but UPG connections are not outside of the realm of possibility.

(edit: was wrapping this up as Taji posted.)

I defer to you as the vodouisant.  :) Glad I mostly had it right.

Offline cinemachameleon

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 03:59:51 pm »
Thank you both, good points; and I learned a new term, "Unverified Personal Gnosis!"

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 04:09:45 pm »
I'm also an initiated hounsi in Haitian Vodou, and I checked in with some family. Kalfou isn't a Legba, he is the crossroads itself and more abstract than Legba.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Raheri

• Rev. Matt - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 05:32:24 pm »
I too am an initiated vodouisant. I was at an event at Tawy once where Yinepu came in saq. He told me that Legba worked for him. Now he didn't mention names but gave me an apt named description which I knew immediately.
Son of Wesir-Sokar | Heri-sesheta
Awakening in Amenti

"O my Mother Nut, stretch Yourself over me,
that I may be placed among the imperishable stars which are in You, and that I may not die."

Offline Tasedjeb

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 06:07:54 pm »
I too am an initiated vodouisant. I was at an event at Tawy once where Yinepu came in saq. He told me that Legba worked for him. Now he didn't mention names but gave me an apt named description which I knew immediately.

That’s really cool!  Wasn’t there also a fet once when an Ogou came and said he worked for Heru?

Offline Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 02:23:57 am »
Thank you all for this. I've had a few people make the comparisons here, but I'm glad to see it clarified here, and so well.
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Hekatawy Alexandros I (AUS); Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, Heru wer, and Wesir

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu and Sed/Fundraising Bak/Team Leader

Offline Pairysenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 01:23:33 pm »
I have encountered Kalfou once, and the energy he had was quite different to how I 'feel' Wepwawet and Yinepu. Did not feel analogous at all to me.

To my understanding, we can make comparisons between Netjer and other beings, but only in the sense of us humans liking to put things in boxes together based on similar traits, not due to any inherent connection between them.
𓅮
"The One Who Acts For Two"
Sa Sekhmet-Hethert her Set her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Mery Heru-wer, Sobek, her Min

Offline Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 06:19:07 pm »
I have encountered Kalfou once, and the energy he had was quite different to how I 'feel' Wepwawet and Yinepu. Did not feel analogous at all to me.

To my understanding, we can make comparisons between Netjer and other beings, but only in the sense of us humans liking to put things in boxes together based on similar traits, not due to any inherent connection between them.

Agreed, and I think one also has to place each of Them in their cultures. That further puts the tendency to categorize in question.
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Hekatawy Alexandros I (AUS); Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, Heru wer, and Wesir

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu and Sed/Fundraising Bak/Team Leader

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3180
  • stats Total Posts: 295969
  • stats Total Topics: 20231
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 122
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything