Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Homemade / Handmade / DIY Offerings?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline cinemachameleon

Homemade / Handmade / DIY Offerings?
« on: April 20, 2018, 01:02:15 pm »
I'll start off with my honest intention for beginning this forum topic -- I'm broke. :(

As such, I am looking for your insights into any kind of naturally harvestable or make-it-yourself offerings (mostly, for people on a budget, such as myself!)

As a Wepawet devotee, I am (obviously) looking for ideas (mainly) for Him; however, I would be interesting in hearing about such offerings, in general, and for other deities, too; purely out of personal interest.

Thank you, in advance!  :3

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Homemade / Handmade / DIY Offerings?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 01:26:06 pm »
What sort of crafting materials do you have on hand?  What is your skill set?

Honestly, almost anything can be an offering.  A poem or prayer.  A drawing.  You could carve a jackal out of a bit of wood.  Make salt dough to sculpt something.  Origami flowers with a spritz of perfume last way longer than live ones!

sat Bast her Hekatawy-Alexandros, meryt Serqet-Aset, Yinepu-Wepwawet, her HetHert-Sekhmet.
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 01:36:48 pm »
Offer your meals, cool water. 
Tasedjebbastmut (Taji) | Φιλίπη Ανθεια (Pippa)
Daughter of Bast-Mut | Servant of Hera

Offline Tanebet

• W'ab (priest) - Kherep Sebau (Education Director), Semer-Wati
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 01:51:37 pm »
cool water is always a good offering
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline FORMER MEMBER

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 02:28:09 pm »
Em hotep, friend!

I second what everyone has said! <3 Almost absolutely anything can be an offering. An activity, as much as an object. A doodle on a scrap of paper. The mug you use for coffee or tea every day. A song, a prayer. Something you do every day, even the most mundane of things, like taking a shower . . .

Personally, I think the Gods care as much about the intent of offering as the offering itself, if not more. Offer whatever you want to Wepwawet, not just stuff that's usually associated with Him or listed as common offerings. For example, I offer what I eat to my Gods, and this includes a lot of stuff that people typically say They might not like (i.e. "junk" food to Sekhmet), and No One's said to me "Don't give Me that again." And I think part of that's because the intention behind the offering is there: it's what I have, and I'm choosing to show my love and reverence for Them by sharing it.

Just my $0.02, though. <3

Senebty,
Gezausenu.
Removed at request of former member.

Offline Iseqi-itw

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 02:39:10 pm »
Em hotep~

Just chiming in on what was said above!

Intent of the offering is really the key thing to think about. And your offerings don't need to be fancy or expensive.

I offer an Ib to my parents that I made almost every time I'm in shrine. From a ritual I dearly love, the symbolism behind it and the metaphor of the offering is more powerful than any fancy chocolate, or expensive beer I could buy them.

That's not to say I don't occasionally get them something nice, but in the same breath, I'm getting myself something nice in it. It's a shared thing, so don't stress if you can't afford those things. They aren't what make your practice and connection better.

Always,
Iseqi
Iseqi-itw (Iseqi) - “I wait for Two Fathers.”
Formerly: Lelena
------
Sat Amun-ra her Set
Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Heru-Wer

Offline Djehutyendy

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 04:06:29 pm »
Em hotep!

I agree with what everyone has said. I just wanted to chime in and say that I mostly offer foods that I will eat anyway. It doesn't have to even be a full meal, it could just be a banana or something. Also, you might sometimes see people say that they don't like to offer leftovers but I have found that not to be an issue. I live by myself and cook for myself so when I cook a meal, it lasts me all week. I find that offering a little bit that I am about to eat each day is totally fine.

It all really depends on your relationship with your gods, so just try different things out! It's all part of the process for building a relationship with Netjer :)

Senebty,
Endy
Daughter of Djehuty | Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb
Please feel free to reach out to me if you ever need anything or just want to talk! (Email: djehutyendy@gmail.com ; Discord: Djehutyendy#5816)

Offline Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 02:59:18 am »
Em hotep!

I remember a time when I was truly broke and didn't have much in the way of extras for Netjer. If I could offer incense, wine or beer I thought I was really rich!

Truth be told, what the Netjer really want is, us. They want us to reach out to them regardless of what we have or don't have materially. They want us to talk with them, sharing the details of our day, of our lives, of our ka. They want us to offer them our heart, our sorrows, our joys, and our love.

Cool water was mentioned, and other great ideas. I am setting up a new shrine for my Father Yinepu/Wepwawet, and my Beloveds Heru Sa Aset and Sekhmet/Hathor. This time around, I am making a lot more things for them by hand, like an altar cloth and talismans from papyrus until I can get statues for all of them. I've already made a strip of papyrus with their hieroglyphs on them that I use when I'm in Shrine. And the table for the new shrine? My husband found it at a second hand store for 15.00.

Strive for quality, from the heart. Give and do what you are able to, from the heart. When you reach a point where you have a little more materially, continue to give from the heart. You can never go wrong with that.

Seneby,

Tatuayinepu
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Hekatawy Alexandros I (AUS); Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, Heru wer, and Wesir

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu and Sed/Fundraising Bak/Team Leader

Offline Tjemsy

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 06:25:45 am »
I also offer my meals. Once upon a time I offered something to Set, and now I always give him his own thing whenever I offer. This food has not always been explicitly Setian, but I've not gotten any complaints.

You could also use votive offerings. Make something out of clay or dough, or buy some dollhouse food (bread, beer, whatever you like), and these could be offered many times. This works especially well with the Akhu, imo, as you are not made to throw anything away.
Tjemsy - "Two Red Ones"

Sat Sekhmet her Set
Meryt Heru-wer, Bast, Wepwawet, Taweret, Nebthet,
 & Nefertem-Imhotep

Fedw Diviner | Tjemsy@kemet.org

Offline Rev. Saryt

• Sema Kau Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 07:57:41 am »
I feel like I'm mostly repeating what has already been said, but it feels important enough to merit another person saying: Netjer cares about the intention most of all. If you can offer cool tap water, or share whatever meal you happen to make for the day, that is still worthy. When I was living in D.C. and working two jobs to function with the ridiculous costs in that city? Set got a whole lot of previously-frozen veggies on rice. Not the most Setian thing in the world, but it was sharing what I had. He understood. He appreciated it regardless. <3
Rev. Sarytsenuwi
(Standardbearer of my Two | Porta-estandarte de meus Dois)
Sat Set her Bast | Meryt Heru-wer, Hethert-Nut, her Heqat
W'ab Nekhen Medetsen net Nekh | Fedw for Set and Bast

Offline Rekeh-Wer

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 12:38:19 am »
Something I do is save the tissue paper packed in gift bags to clothe my icons and decorate the shrine! It's cheap and comes in a wide variety of colours and patterns.
Great Burning
Khonsu | Set | Shai | Ma'ahes | Horus the Red
𓁳𓁣𓀭𓃬𓇼

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3305
  • stats Total Posts: 299241
  • stats Total Topics: 20531
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything