Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 56
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Sekhmet Altar cloth?  (Read 594 times)

Offline Ghost_Medic42

• Beginner
Sekhmet Altar cloth?
« on: May 24, 2018, 05:30:11 pm »
One of the guys I follow on Etsy only has one Kemetic altar cloth, and it’s dedicated to Sekhmet.

I saw one listing that said she was goddess of Banishment and Exorcism, another that she was a protector and healer. Needless to say I’m confused.

What role to these have to do with each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gezausenu

Re: Sekhmet Altar cloth?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 05:44:05 pm »
Em hotep, friend!

Lovely question! <3

I think the first thing is to say that the Gods / Names of Netjer don't fit into boxes well. They're not "Gods of X, Y and Z, period"--They can fit many, many roles, some of them quite contradictory. And Mama Sekhmet is, after all, a destroyer in one myth--but then, too, She was seen as a healer and Her priests were the physicians and surgeons of Kemet. Her roles were / are contradictory and complementary by turn.

It's also worth noting that many diseases back then were seen as being caused by (bad) demons or malevolent forces, in addition to isfet in general--not germs--so to see Her as an "exorcist" in Her role of healer makes sense. :)

Finally, you know, sometimes there's a tendency towards fitting Gods into boxes, which is sometimes reflective of how They were honored in Their original cultures (i.e. presiding over very specific things)--and sometimes not. In the case of the Gods of ancient Egypt / Kemet, They could be fantastically specific (regional forms) and simultaneously incredibly big, broad, and all-encompassing.

So perhaps what this creator sees in Her is the kind of healer who can banish isfet / negativity and exorcise the same, all while keeping the individual under Her protection, and while banishing illness or whatever else it is in their life that's causing them trouble?

Sometimes, too, folks attach epithets and "labels" to the Gods that are based on widely-circulated misinformation. (Not saying that's the case here, although particularly in terms of Gods Who've been recast in New Age roles, that seems to happen rather often.)

This is just me talking as one of Her children; I've done some cursory research but I'm not a scholar, so I hope that this is helpful in the meantime (and I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I will chip in). <3

Senebty,
Gezausenu.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 05:47:24 pm by Gezausenu »
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

Offline Ghost_Medic42

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 06:50:59 pm »
Em Hotep,

I grew up Christian, and a good chunk of my background is in history and horror, so it did occur to me that exorcism and healing share a common origin- so much so that in many parts of the world you would ask the same people for both tasks.

That said, I was curious as to whether or not they pertained at all to purification of altar space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 07:19:45 pm »
To purify an area you use water and natron to do that and all the Netjer (or the one you are dedicating the area to).

Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Fedw diviner

Offline Ematsen

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 09:00:04 pm »
My question would be how is he dedicating these pieces to the Names, and also what sort of energy you want for the shrine that you're creating.
Senuwiematsen - My Two, In Their Moment.

Sat Sekhmet-Mut her Set.
Meryt Wepwawet-Yinepu, Aset-Serqet, Heru-Wer, her Nut.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3011
  • stats Total Posts: 289000
  • stats Total Topics: 19607
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112
  • stats Most Online: 217