collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 39
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Sekhmet's relation to art.  (Read 382 times)

Sekhmet's relation to art.
« on: June 06, 2018, 10:01:45 am »
Em hotep,

I have a vague memory of drawing a devotional piece of Sekhmet when I was in school maybe nine years ago, or so. I can remember I wrote "Sekhmet, Goddess of Art" on the piece, having earlier read somewhere on the internet that She is associated with art.

Now, all these years later, I'm trying to find anything on that piece of information. I can't recall if I misunderstood it or misread it, but I remember it being specifically about Sekhmet and art. I am also aware of the epithet "at Whose wish the arts were born" but I'm not sure what it relates to... it's all a very vague memory and I was wondering if anyone here might know Her relation to art, apart from her relationship to Ptah.

I hope this makes sense! Thanks in advance.

Offline A'Aqytsekhmet

• Rev. A'aqyt - Ordained Clergy
Re: Sekhmet's relation to art.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 10:18:34 am »
I am not sure if she herself does. However that epithet relates to Herhert, and as part of that Sekhmet could have inherited that epithet.
It may be that it’s because of Hethert that Sekhmet relates to any of he arts. Sekhmet is more related to destruction and that aspect.
Sat Sekhmet meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, her Wenut
Fedw Diviner  -  Shrine Image Service available  -  Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Zazzle Shop - Blog - Patreon

Offline Inqisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 11:12:58 am »
Em hotep, Deborah! *henu*

I know Hethert is most definitely tied to all art related things, and Sekhmet is a form of Hethert. I haven't heard about Sekhmet, Herself, specifically being associated, so I'm quite curious to whether this is a literal translation (art as in drawings on a canvas type) or something else entirely.

Art is such a broad term, that honestly you can tie it to almost anything, even the art of war can be things like a martial dance, or tactical planning. So seeing Sekhmet paint the Lands red with blood... is quite a thought!

This outlook might be entirely modern though and out of context for ancient times. So hopefully someone with more knowledge can help you out~ :)

Senebty!
ᐃᘛ Inqisenu ᘚᐃ
Sat Hethert-Iusaas her Heru-sa-Aset, Meryt Set

◈ Sau Apprentice ◈

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 01:25:38 pm »
Could I possibly have been reading about Hethert-Sekhmet? I do recall a specific mention of Sekhmet and art but that's about it. Whatever prompted me to write "Goddess of art" on that drawing must have been me misunderstanding something.

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 02:47:37 pm »
Em hotep nefer, Daughter of Netjeru and all!

Sekhmet certainly relates to the art of medicine. Beyond being the almost-destroyer of humanity in a central series of mythic events, She is a deity associated with plague, like Her associate Bast. The flipside of this is She is also responsible for the removal of illness in all its forms. Sekhmet rages and annihilates, but She also restores and protects.

As for the "arts" as we would presently understand them, like painting and sculpture and so forth, I have no idea. I have not (yet) encountered that in any of my readings of Egyptological works.

Speaking well beyond the historicity of various titles, if Sekhmet is the Netjer(et) Who prompts you to create, then She is your "Netjeret of the Arts, at Whose wish art is born." My Beloved Yinepu is very much that for me, being Hery Seshta ("Master of Secrets") and a liminal Netjer responsible for visionary experiences in ways other Netjeru aren't. Not all of my art is about is of or about Yinepu, of course, but in my process He plays a significant role in "allowing my art to happen."  My First Father, Set, is also an intimate and significant part of my artistic processes and expressions, so He is "Netjer of Art" for me, too -- but not in the way that Yinepu is. :)

I hope this helps!

Senebty!
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Gezausenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 08:24:01 pm »
Em hotep, friend!

I also wonder if this just how She chooses to appear to you. In my experience, the Gods can manifest Themselves and claim roles and epithets in our lives that might not make sense to others (or even ourselves). I've also read a few of Her epithets somewhere which are along the lines of "She at Whose wish the arts were born," but Sedjfai's thoughts lead me to believe this was a commonly-applied epithet.

It might be UPG, you know? A personal role She plays in your life (or is hinting to you that She wants to play). I think there was a reason you wrote what you did on that drawing. <3

Senebty,
Gezausenu.
~Favored of Two~ (Please don't call me Gezau for short; thank you!)
meset Set her Sekhmet
meryt Ptah, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
( they / them / their / themself )
"Let your bending in the Archer's hand be for gladness." - Kahlil Gibran.

Offline Yinepuemsaes

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 08:33:52 pm »
I've always assumed that the gods appear to us in ways we're most likely to understand.  I doubt anyone else has "seen" the Netjeru in some of the ways I have.  :)
Yinepuemsaes - "Yinepu is her protection"
Sat Yinepu
Meryt Bast

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 08:21:20 am »
Since creating this thread and reading all your responses and speaking with Sekhmet I feel she is nudging me to paint her again... I think I might just do that today. :)

I can totally see how you are all saying she could be my "Goddess of Art" and how there is a reason I wrote that on the drawing. I'm starting to think myself that it is that, too. Accidental UPG I wasn't aware of, perhaps. It is certainly interesting because over the years she has always been my most drawn deity.

Thanks to you all for your responses. I really appreciate this help! ♥

Offline Kaemwaset

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 01:45:08 pm »
The ancient Egyptians didn't create art for art's sake. The word doesn't even exist in the language because creations by mankind already had the divine inherently in them. It can be seen that Ptah, the patron deity of craftsmen, still has Semitic roots in modern Hebrew such as pathak & patzak "to carve," etc., but still no mention of "ART." "Deity of Art" is a completely modern fabrication.
The closest words in the ancient language refer to "Good Things," nfrt(w) describing actual goods (Story of the Eloquent Peasant & The Shipwrecked Sailor, also Sethe's Urkunden der 18. Dynastie from the root nfr "good/beautiful")
So the choice to make a title a title, or create because you feel like creating out of fondness for a deity, is your own (perhaps divinely inspired ;) ).
Courtesy is contagious!
      𓌃𓆓𓇋𓈖𓂓𓅓𓋆𓏏𓊖𓀀

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 12:34:10 pm »
The ancient Egyptians didn't create art for art's sake. The word doesn't even exist in the language because creations by mankind already had the divine inherently in them. It can be seen that Ptah, the patron deity of craftsmen, still has Semitic roots in modern Hebrew such as pathak & patzak "to carve," etc., but still no mention of "ART." "Deity of Art" is a completely modern fabrication.
The closest words in the ancient language refer to "Good Things," nfrt(w) describing actual goods (Story of the Eloquent Peasant & The Shipwrecked Sailor, also Sethe's Urkunden der 18. Dynastie from the root nfr "good/beautiful")
So the choice to make a title a title, or create because you feel like creating out of fondness for a deity, is your own (perhaps divinely inspired ;) ).

Thank you for this history lesson, I didn't realize the word didn't exist. It's interesting, so there was no recreational artwork created?

Yes, I start to think it may have been a "divinely inspired" decision, haha... thank you again :)

Offline Gezausenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 09:05:32 am »
Em hotep, friends!

I think there have been shards of pottery and spare scraps of materials found that show artist's and workmen's "doodles", among other things? So art might not have existed for its own sake officially, but I don't think it didn't exist recreationally, either. :)

Senebty,
Gezausenu.
meset Set her Sekhmet

Offline Kaemwaset

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 05:06:20 pm »
I've run my hands over those 1000's of sherds. Sifted them & cleaned them. I'd be cautious not to confuse "doodles" (perhaps a way to convey ideas) with "official [sanctioned]" art (a cultural phenomenon). Two very different approaches.
Some items of utility, specifically amphora & clay wares, might fall into the category of contemporary art in today's modern sense. The "lowly potter" may have had a unique sense of aesthetic in shape, color, texture, proportion, decoration (as Petrie referred to it) that transcends the ages. So a much better case for such folks!
Courtesy is contagious!
      𓌃𓆓𓇋𓈖𓂓𓅓𓋆𓏏𓊖𓀀

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 06:07:53 am »

Now, all these years later, I'm trying to find anything on that piece of information. I can't recall if I misunderstood it or misread it, but I remember it being specifically about Sekhmet and art. I am also aware of the epithet "at Whose wish the arts were born" but I'm not sure what it relates to... it's all a very vague memory and I was wondering if anyone here might know Her relation to art, apart from her relationship to Ptah.

Em hotep!

I am coming into this discussion late, and I haven't been here in forever.  *Waves to Kemetic Orthodox Family*

Sekhmet is, as others have mentioned, over the medical arts.  If, however, you do take a step back from this and look at what the art of medicine is at its core, it comes from the very fire of Creation and of Life itself.  Where does art originate if not from that Creative Fire? And Sekhmet has jurisdiction and is the personification of this.  One of Sekhmet's epithets is "The Female Ra" which, again underscores Her role of the Fire of Life.

So, in my personal opinion. I think that your giving your artwork of Sekhmet that name is completely accurate and acceptable. Do you have pictures of your work?  I would love to see them!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 06:09:43 am by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Gezausenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 10:33:27 am »
Em hotep, friends!

Kaemwaset, pardon my vernacular. I'm not a scholar. I was just commenting on what I'd read or heard of casually. <3

I also personally believe that regardless of the official or religious function of art in a society, creative people don't just create what's official or religious. On the side, in private, I think most of them create art that's pleasing to them, or humorous, or a way to blow off steam . . . hence "doodles". But, again, that's not an archaeological or historical perspective, and since I'm not quite sure what's most useful in the conversation at this point (historical attestation to Mama Sekhmet's role in art vs. modern musings) I'll just sidle out now. ^_^

Senebty,
Gezausenu.
meset Set her Sekhmet

Offline Kaemwaset

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 09:50:43 pm »
Friend Gezausenu~~
I was merely pointing out the historical aspect vs. contemporary views. I happen to believe (& so do anthropologists) that we humans have a propensity to make "our mark" on just about everything. We are all 'wired' for art in all its forms whether palatable to modern experts or not. Our species has been doodling almost as long as our existence here.
My experiences in the 'Black Land' have provided the views of my previous post, more as cautionary when we use the term 'Art.' Art is everywhere & everyone experiences it differently.
My reference to pottery was more contemporary. All the clayware vessels of any culture fall into a category all their own, that hopefully, most folks can observe & quantify. The craftsmanship involved is extensive yet potters never received the praise due them for millennia.
The initial post was regarding a title regarding art.  That title never existed. It certainly doesn't mean, though, that we humans don't have a sense of aesthetic! Keep 'doodling☺!'
Courtesy is contagious!
      𓌃𓆓𓇋𓈖𓂓𓅓𓋆𓏏𓊖𓀀

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2644
  • stats Total Posts: 272531
  • stats Total Topics: 18267
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 101
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything