collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 50
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Destiny  (Read 917 times)

Offline Shediwi-Itw

• Shemsu
Destiny
« on: June 22, 2018, 12:36:46 pm »
Hello all, I was wondering what the KO view on fate or destiny is. I’ve only briefly seen it mentioned before so I would love to hear more if no one minds.
Daughter of Ra and Yinepu-Wepwawet, Beloved of Bast and Hethert-Sekhmet.
Hail to thee, Great Ra! Lord of the thrones of the Earth!
Self-Care Sekhmet Supporter
Profile picture is by BelugaLu on DeviantArt.

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
Re: Destiny
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 06:05:15 am »
Hello all, I was wondering what the KO view on fate or destiny is. I’ve only briefly seen it mentioned before so I would love to hear more if no one minds.

Em hotep nefer, Terra! :D

I can't speak to official Kemetic Orthodox policy on fate/destiny myself -- you will want to trawl the Ask the Nisut archives concerning fate/destiny/prophecy for that, provided Hemet (AUS) has covered that topic already (I believe she has, but I could be misremembering). Beyond that, though, I expect that not all Kemetic Orthodox share the same beliefs about fate/destiny on a personal level. The Ancient source materials are, in aggregate, open-ended enough to accommodate the range of experiences human beings can have concerning fate/destiny.

For myself, I personally subscribe to the idea that fate/destiny is malleable. Prophecies and so on describe what may be, and that "may" is entirely dependent upon what sets of choices we make. Fate is only "unavoidable" when someone, or a group of someones, think and act deterministically and fatalistically.

As for historical Egyptian tidbits about fate, I responded to a similar question on this other thread a while back concerning what and Who Shay(t) is, which touches upon how fate/destiny were thought to operate: sometimes ill fates weren't avoided by their given subject(s), and sometimes ill fates were successfully avoided. I hope reading through that thread helps at least somewhat -- provided it's not something you've seen already. My apologies if it is.

Senebty!
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3260
  • stats Total Posts: 298671
  • stats Total Topics: 20479
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 117