collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: What time do you do Senut?  (Read 7113 times)

Offline Omen

• Remetj
What time do you do Senut?
« on: June 26, 2018, 12:32:35 pm »
I’ve tried to do Senut consistently at several different times in the day but I’m finding it pretty difficult. I’m not a morning person, lol.

So what times do you find works best for Senut?

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
Re: What time do you do Senut?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 12:57:51 pm »
I find morning easiest because I get up early enough that everyone else is still asleep. But if I can't do it in the morning, then I'll do it at whatever time I can.

Honestly, I'd just recommend choosing a time based on your regular schedule, rather than trying to bend your schedule around Senut. If you bathe at a specific time every day, then that's a great place to make room for Senut.

If you don't have any time though, then you can perform Senut when you have the chance instead of having a set time, even if you can only perform it once a week or even less often. Spending time in-shrine, outside of Senut, and worshipping spontaneously are just as important for regular worship as Senut is.
Biwi
“My two mothers set a good example (for me).”

Child of Sekhmet-Hethert and Serqet-Aset.
Beloved of Khonsu, Set, and Wepwawet-Yinepu.

Offline Djehutyendy

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 01:13:44 pm »
I am very much a creature of habit and routine, but if I were to restrict my Senut to only one time of day then I would not be able to do it as much as I like. I typically do Senut in the evening on weekdays. This is mostly because I exercise in the morning (and trying to do both in the morning before work is a lot!) But sometimes something might come up and I do Senut in the morning. On weekends, I tend to do it earlier in the day when I shower. With all this said, I do Senut almost daily (barring ritual impurity or travel).

Routine most definitely helps keep Senut a regular part of my life. But flexibility helps me be practical in performing it often.

Senebty,
Endy
Daughter of Djehuty | Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb
Please feel free to reach out to me if you ever need anything or just want to talk! (Email: djehutyendy@gmail.com ; Discord: Djehutyendy#5816)

Offline Djedetmiwesir

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 01:32:34 pm »
Em hotep!

My sweet spot for doing Senut used to be at twilight, or shortly after, it was a good quiet time of the day for me to steal away some me time when I had younger children. My children are grown now, but still living at home, and in the hours where I instinctively want to do Senut, they are very noisy,  ;D  and lot is going on.

So now I do it mid day, everyone is either working (or sleeping!) at that time. It works nicely once I get there. But the sunlight, and the neighborhood noises make my brain say "No, it's not time yet."  Black out curtains have helped, but I think I will always wish I could do it right around sunset.

Senebty!
Djedetmiwesir (Djedet) "Enduring/Stable Like Wesir"
Sat Wesir, Meryt Nit-Nebthet her Nut
----
https://duawesir.wordpress.com/

Offline FORMER MEMBER

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 01:38:54 pm »
Em hotep, friend!

I used to do Senut at a specific time when I had a concrete work schedule. Now I just do it whenever I can during the day, although that's usually sometime in the evening, before it gets dark out (I don't have the best lighting to try and read by, so natural light works best for me). The one drawback to this is that sometimes I get deeply immersed in whatever project I'm working on and forget to do Senut that day . . . in which case I just make a mental note to try and be more aware of the time and making sure to take a break accordingly. ^_^

Senebty,
Gezausenu.
Removed at request of former member.

Offline Padememheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 02:07:08 pm »
For me I end up usually performing Senut around noon or so.  Not for any specific reason, that's just how it instinctively ends up as. 
"When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - Futurama's "Godfellas"

Padememheru ~The One Mentioned by Heru~
Sa Heru-sa-Aset (or Heru-Nedjitef) 
Mery Set, Aset-Serqet, his Nut

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 03:03:39 pm »
Before my big interruption in doing the rite, senut was a part of my morning, every morning. Wake up, shower, prep breakfast, sit in shrine (and offer breakfast), then eat when done and do the rest of my morning stuff before getting out the door.  I have *just* (as in the last two weeks) hit a point where I am well and coherent enough to do the rite with regularity, and now I do it in the evenings after work. I do purify myself again, in that I rinse my mouth with natron water and pour some on my clean hands. When my schedule flips back to evening hours at the end of August it will be happening sometime in the late morning.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Omen

• Remetj
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 04:22:49 pm »
Thank you all for your help ^_^
I was beating myself up trying to do Senut every day at the same time.
Another question though, would I need a seperate shrine for informal (not Senut) worship?

Offline FORMER MEMBER

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 04:57:09 pm »
Em hotep, friend!

There's no reason to beat yourself up! <3 Certainly not for doing Senut at different times each day. And if there are days where you don't do Senut, that's okay, too.

As for shrines, yes, your Senut and informal / personal shrines do need to be separate, at least in some sense, whether it's separate spaces or by hanging a cloth between them. The idea of keeping Senut and informal worship separate is partially an issue of purity, because Senut is a formal rite, and informal worship is--well--that. You're always more than welcome to talk to the Gods whenever you want, make offerings whenever you want, etc., but yes . . . they need to be separate shrines.

Senebty,
Gezausenu.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:01:44 pm by Gezausenu »
Removed at request of former member.

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 06:00:17 pm »
I don't use a separate shrine, but I know some people do. Just remember that in-shrine prayer is just a very small part of informal worship; spontaneous prayer, meal offerings, incorporeal offerings, and just thinking of the Netjeru as you go about your day are all incredibly important parts of faith, even though they aren't talked about as often as the formal ("fancy") forms of worship.

Just remember that your worship is your own; there's no right or wrong way of being Kemetic. If your worship is mainly informal with a scattering of Senut and that works for you and fits in your relationship with Netjer, then all the more power to you.
Biwi
“My two mothers set a good example (for me).”

Child of Sekhmet-Hethert and Serqet-Aset.
Beloved of Khonsu, Set, and Wepwawet-Yinepu.

Offline Erkhet

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 09:23:21 pm »
I usually do Senut either right before or after dinner depending on if I'm helping cook or not. I'm not a morning person myself, I get up at a different time almost every day, so I just find it a lot easier to say I'll do it around that time.
☥ |( Erkhetenitui )| ☥
Weapon of my two fathers
-----------------------
Child of Set-as-Ash and Wepwawet-Yinepu
Beloved of Aset-Serqet and Heru-wer

Offline Tatuayinepu

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 01:23:33 am »
I do it as soon as I can when I wake up, which depends.

Tatuayinepu
Tatuayinepu. Please use my full name, not a nickname.

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Hekatawy Alexandros I (AUS); Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, Heru wer, and Wesir

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu, Sed, Wepwawet. Temple Board Member, Forum Moderator

Offline Bawysudjawi

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 01:26:49 am »
[redacted]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:59:53 pm by Bawysudjawi »
Son of Set & Heru-wer
Beloved of Ptah & Wepwawet

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 01:57:10 am »
Em hotep Omen!

I do Senut after work, which can be anywhere from 12am to 4am depending on whether I'm doing overtime that night. I prefer it to trying to do it before work (12pm to 2pm) because I have plenty of time and don't feel rushed. Plus I get all those warm fuzzy feelings Senut gives me right before bed.

Senebty
Ra'awy
(They/them)

Sa Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy Alexandros (aus), mery Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Heru-wer, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner for Serqet-Aset and Nehmet-Awai

Offline Rev. Tjemsy

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 07:24:16 am »
I used to do Senut before work, until work got too early. I much preferred that. Now, I do it after work. I come home, usually nap, and then do Senut around 7pm. Sometimes it can be a bit later, depending on when I get home and how exhausted I am. If I think it'll be later than 7, I set like 5 alarms to make sure I don't forget before I go to bed. ^^;
Tjemsy - "Two Red Ones"

Sat Sekhmet her Set
Meryt Heru-wer, Bast, Wepwawet, Taweret, Nebthet,
 & Nefertem-Imhotep

Fedw Diviner | RevTjemsy@kemet.org

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955