Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 64
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: What time do you do Senut?  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Sobeqsenu

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
Re: What time do you do Senut?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 07:56:42 am »
So, I am currently on part-time duty as a priest. That means that I my requirements for RTHM are not every day... so when I choose a day to do RTHM, I choose a time that suits my schedule for that day.

If it's a weekend, I'll pick first thing in the morning. If it's a workday I will do it after work, since I leave for work very early in the morning. If you aren't in a place where you follow the same routine every day, it may be helpful to pick a time the following day that fits that day's schedule.

As for whether to use a separate shrine: You don't necessarily need a whole separate shrine to do Senut. A dedicated Senut space within an existing shrine that is only used for Senut after having performed ritual purification will work. If you use that space or tools under other circumstances, you will want to repurify the space and objects before going back to Senut there.

Senebty
Sobeq
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 09:17:54 am »
You know what?  I don’t do it at all. 

I know that means I’m breaking a member expectation, but doing it just made me feel BAD. It provoked feelings of anxiety and guilt.  I couldn’t get into a rhythm and didn’t feel I got anything from it over and above what I got from more informal prayer.

I don’t know if I’m alone in that or not, but what I’ve come to is the gods won’t ask you to do something that makes you feel awful.  Because that’s impure in and of itself. 

Sometimes if I’m feeling gross, I’ll still speak the words of the senut purification. There’s heka in that and it seems to help. 

Senebty,

Taji
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:22:34 am by Taji »
Tasedjebbast,
Daughter of Bast-Mut & Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Beloved of Yinepu-Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Hethert
Beloved of Set & Heru-wer Who Are the Bawy
Beloved of Aset-Serqet

Offline Gezausenu

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 10:29:40 am »
Em hotep, friends!

Not to derail this subject, but what you said piqued my interest, Rev. Sobeq; I wanted to bring this up here in case anyone else besides me is confuzzled.

I was taught that we're not supposed to worship informally at our Senut shrines, which was what I was attempting to explain when I talked about keeping them separate somehow (to a lesser degree of success, I think :P). Is that the case? Or does it not matter as much?

Thanks! ^_^

Senebty,
Gezausenu.
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

Offline Inqisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 11:02:03 am »
Em hotep, everyone *henu*

I've been similar to Taji, in that Senut usually causes a great deal of stress rather than relief (I fuss about the purity, because of OCD/anxiety/trauma, etc.). So what should be fairly simple, becomes a mountain to perform most days. I've also thought about stepping down because of expectations, but had a fairly strong response against it when asking Netjer. That is never a good reason to stop spending time with Them, or this community.

I also greatly prefer informal worship, where the focus is just sending my love to Them in whichever way it comes, and not the technicalities tying me up. I'm trying to take it slow by adding Senut parts to that prayer time when I feel better, and forgo it when I am not. I'm also working on the purity stuff, but it's super slow progress.

Because of above, I tend to worship throughout the day/night, whenever my heart feels compelled too. I have a slot time for 'Senut' around noon, but day by day changes, so I don't fret if I missed it or not. It's there to help with routine, but it's not binding.

I think Senut is a wonderful concept & ritual, but practice is a lot more messy just like life. So don't worry too much about the when, where or how. Just try to do your best!

Senebty~
ᐃᘛ Inqisenu ᘚᐃ
Child of Hethert-Iusaas & Heru-sa-Aset, Beloved of Set

◈ Sau Apprentice ◈

Offline Temimensenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 01:23:39 pm »
On weekdays, I tend to do it in the evenings, so around 8 or 9pm.

On weekends, I guess it varies a bit more due to a bit more personal freedom and a bit more time on my hands. So this ranges from anytime in the afternoon (around 12pm) to evening again.
Temi

Son of Bast and Sobek

Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Amun, and Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Ematsen

• Shemsu
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 09:31:38 pm »
I also have OCD and anxiety, but the way that mine manifests currently means that I actually like the formality and structure of senut - it gives me something to focus on, whereas when I'm left to my own devices I fret and worry and hem and haw and don't get much done, or I OVER do and exhaust myself.

That being said, I do take a bit longer than most to do senut, because of How I Am and how vigilant I am with my own rituals and expectations I've set up. So I tend to do senut at night, sometimes as late as 10:30/11 at night - because most everyone in my house is asleep and the house is quiet, so i can take my time.

I do also try to do morning prayers before noon, but those are much quicker and less involved, hehe.
Senuwiematsen - My Two, In Their Moment.

Sat Sekhmet-Mut her Set.
Meryt Wepwawet-Yinepu, Aset-Serqet, Heru-Wer, her Nut.

Offline SpaghettiYeti

• Remetj
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 09:38:22 pm »
It seems that a lot of people experience similar issues to what I had just made a thread about. I suppose I'll have to lurk more...

To answer the titular question, I used to perform Senut around noon or in the early afternoon, although I might have to switch to performing it in the small hours of the morning when the rest of my household is asleep and I'm still awake because of night owl tendencies.

Offline Tuteniaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 01:04:53 am »
Em hotep all!

I try to do senut every Sunday around dusk (6-8 pm depending on season.) It's a nice way to end my week and start another. Sometimes I get a few during the week in, but I try not to pressure myself as I feel it's bad to for my mental state--so my goal is only once a week and that's been working pretty well for me.

Senebty for now

Tuteni
Tuteni
Sat Aset-Serqet 𓎬
Meryt Ra, Djehuty, her Wadjet
𓎬𓆫 𓅄𓁟𓆗
Usui Reiki Master/Teacher

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 12:06:27 pm »
When I'm doing it regularly, I do it in the morning, generally speaking (I currently have one day I can't do that). I don't particularly like mornings, but it just fits my life better to fall out of bed, do the thing, and then go about my day. If I go about my day first then executive dysfunction starts making getting *back* into the bedroom to do shrine stuff more difficult.

If I'm doing it irregularly then I do it Whenever The Heck I Can. First thing, last thing, middle of the day, whenever I find the will and ability.
Meset Wepwawet
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, her Hethert-Amenti
Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Sau Apprentice
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓁥𓇼

Offline Shenuty

• Shemsu
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 12:22:13 pm »
I'm still getting into the swing of doing senut regularly again, but given my schedule with work (usually nights, 5p to 1a), I think I'm going to start doing senut when I get up in the morning. That way I can shower and offer coffee or any breakfast I have at shrine. I do struggle with doing senut daily or even weekly, so hopefully this new schedule and stability will help with that.
Wepwawet
Heru-Wer, Sokar-Wesir, Set
Dionysian & mystic
Sau apprentice
𓃧

Offline Ntisa

• Remetj
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2018, 03:08:04 pm »
After work for me typically. It’s the quietest at my house then, and helps me relax and feel at peace after the day.   😊

Offline Gleb

• Remetj
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2018, 04:40:53 am »
Well not exactly Senut but daily prayer. Usually I do it in the morning after breakfast and brushing my teeth. It gives me a much better and calmer rhythm for the day. <3
Senebty,
Gleb

Offline Iwaat

• Shemsu
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2018, 11:37:29 am »
Em hotep!
I've not done senut regularly in a while due to complicated living situations. However, when I did perform it regularly it was always done in the early morning or shortly after I woke up.

Senebty!
~Iwa'at Bast-Mut~
Bast-Mut's Heritage
Sat Bast-mut
Meryt Nebthet-Nit-Seshat her Hethert-Sekhmet
*Sau apprentice*

Offline Senui-Iry-I

• Shemsu
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2018, 06:55:41 pm »
I would prefer to do it after I wake up in the morning (9am to 10am if I'm not opening)but I'm not always able to.
My schedule changes every week with some days getting up at 5am for work and other days not needing to leave my house until 3pm.
I do it whenever I have enough time to not feel rushed. I always have to take a full shower before hand too because I just don't feel clean enough otherwise, so I need to set aside a good amount of time for it.
Until I'm at a job that has a set schedule I'm not worried about keeping the time consistent as it's currently beyond my control.
Senui-iryi  (Iryi)
Sat Sobek-Ra her Hethert-Sekhmet,
Meryt Set her Yinepu-Wepwawet her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
𓆋 𓁥  𓁣 𓁢 𓋔

Offline Mutireshwi

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2018, 07:33:40 pm »
It's funny... Both of my Moms are Eyes of Ra (Hethert and Bast), but it feels funny to me to do Senut in the daytime. Both of my Moms are also about the Party (that is freaking *not* Their sum total, but still...). Party, to me, equals nighttime. Also, I offer ground-up Frankincense to Them on special, small charcoal briquettes from Japan. Offering the incense, seeing it sparkling and burning red as it is consumed, having that be one of the brightest things in the room, is awesome. It is quiet, contemplative, and beautiful.

I like to do Senut when all of my other tasks are done; I will usually offer alcohol to my Moms in Senut (especially during weekends), and I'll invite Them to stay, and put on nice music for Them once I've removed the foot.

I've done Senut in the daytime; sunlight is awesome, and will lift one's mood tremendously. However, I've found that, for me, one of my main true mellow times is at night, before bed.

Both of my Moms are also about the Akhu; it has been my regular pracitice to offer flame, incense, water and food on my Akhu altar before doing Senut proper. I sense real support from both my Moms for doing that.

Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Bast her Hekatawy | (AUS)

Meryt Djehuty her Heru-sa-Aset

"My Mothers are my joy"

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2934
  • stats Total Posts: 286160
  • stats Total Topics: 19404
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217