Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any good literature or reading on the journey through the Duat?  (Read 666 times)

Offline Srinivas

• Remetj
Em hotep everyone!

So first, apologies if this has been answered or discussed before. I've tried searching but haven't found much information on this topic.

Specifically, I'm interested to see if there's any good literature about the journey of the deceased through the Duat - basically from start to finish. So what the deceased would see, and do, and experience. I've been able to dig up bits and pieces - a bit about gates here, a bit about Judges there, a bit about Wesir, etc.

However, what I've yet to find is anything (be it book, blog, whatever) which explains or tells the whole story in a nice congruent manner. Kind of like a Kemetic Dante's Inferno, sort of. If anyone were able to point me in the right direction of such a thing (if it exists, that is) it would be much appreciated!

Thank you all :)

Offline Akhyt

• Sema Kau Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
Re: Any good literature or reading on the journey through the Duat?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 07:42:13 am »
The book Ancient Egyptian Legends (1920), by M. A. Murray, has a chapter - The Regions of Night and Thick Darkness - on the journey that Ra's Mesektet Barque (the Night Boat) travels in the Duat each night.

I have no idea about whether or not this is considered "good" from a scholarly point of view, and thus it is advisable to take it with a grain of salt. That being said, this particular chapter has been very inspiring to me in my personal practice, and it has motivated me to seek out more information (although so far I've had little time to dedicate to this).

The whole book can be found online, at http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/ael/index.htm.

Akhytsenu, "Two Are Flying"
Sat Tefnut, Ra-Heruakhety & Hekatawy I
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Shu

Pronoun: they/them/their/themself

Offline Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 08:50:03 pm »
Erik Hornung"s Book of the Amduat is an option.
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Hekatawy Alexandros I (AUS); Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, and Heru wer

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu and Sed/Fundraising Team

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 08:35:12 am »
Kiya Nicoll’s “The Traveller’s Guide to the Duat” is a light-hearted but well-researched source which you may find to be a good place to start. It’s very approachable, not especially expensive, and has a bibliography that you could follow up with.
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

Offline Taqerisenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 09:34:24 am »
I like “Knowledge for the Afterlife: The Egyptian Amduat—A Quest for Immortality” by Theodor Abt and Erik Hornung. It takes you through each section of the journey through the Duat, as depicted in the art of the tomb of Thutmose III. I’m fairly “meh” on Abt’s Jungian analysis contributions, but overall, it’s a good book.
Taqerisenu
("The Attendant of Two," or "The One That Attends to Two")

Sat Heru-wer her Bast her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS!)
Meryt Ra, Set, her Nebthet-Nit-Seshat.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2996
  • stats Total Posts: 288059
  • stats Total Topics: 19526
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything