Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 68
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Broken Shrine Items  (Read 861 times)

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
Broken Shrine Items
« on: June 26, 2018, 02:20:10 pm »
Em hotep, everyone.

So I just moved to a new house today and haven't unpacked ANYTHING yet, but I did check on my fragile boxes. And it turns out that two of my shrine items (my Senut offering plate and my Akhu bowl) broke during the move, badly enough that they cannot be used at all. I'm heartbroken but not particularly surprised, and now I'm wondering what to do with them.

Is there a specific way we're supposed to dispose of ritual items? Neither of them had depictions of the Netjeru on them if that makes a difference. I'm also not sure what to do about the missing parts of my shrines. Can I just use any plate or bowl until I can make it to a thrift shop for replacements, or should I hold off on doing any offerings that require those dishes?

Thank you and senebty,
Hawke
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:22:14 pm by Hawke »
Biwi
“My two mothers set a good example (for me).”

Child of Sekhmet-Hethert and Serqet-Aset.
Beloved of Khonsu, Set, and Wepwawet-Yinepu.

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
Re: Broken Shrine Items
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 02:24:41 pm »
On a completely unrelated topic, if you're planning on moving, don't pack your heavy mortar at the bottom of a box filled with other fragile items if there's even the slightest risk of it falling over. I'm very lucky that only three items broke and that my glitter jars (which would've made a giant mess) stayed intact.
Biwi
“My two mothers set a good example (for me).”

Child of Sekhmet-Hethert and Serqet-Aset.
Beloved of Khonsu, Set, and Wepwawet-Yinepu.

Offline Capra

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 12:46:25 pm »
Em hotep! There might be some useful info for you in this thread:

https://www.netjer.org/forums/index.php?topic=15622.msg239007#msg239007
"Self-Care Khonsu Supporter"

Offline Gezausenu

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 03:21:29 pm »
Oh! I didn't realize that nobody had really replied to this yet. :( Thanks for bringing it back to the surface, Capra!

Em hotep, Hawke friend! <3

What I've always done has been to sprinkle the thing in question with natron water and leave it in the sun for four days. I think I remember reading this in the Prayerbook?

In the case of broken dishes . . . maybe do that but keep the pieces all gathered together in a bag or something, to prevent injury?

Anyway, this is probably far too late to be of us, but . . . I at least wanted to share what I've done in case it's useful ever. <3

Senebty, and I'm sorry about things getting broken. :(
Gezausenu.
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 02:52:33 pm »
Em hotep,

Broken shrine items can just be thrown away.  You could place them in a separate  bag and then throw them away too, I suppose.  Then, if you can, replace the item. 
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het her Wepwawet her Sekhmet-Mut her Ra

Offline Tasedjebbast

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 03:14:36 pm »
Yeah.  Broken stuff is just broken stuff.  Toss it out, recycle or whatever is appropriate.

Sorry that happened. 
Daughter of Bast-Mut & Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, and Aset
Devotee of Aphrodite

Offline Gezausenu

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 08:02:20 pm »
^_^

To elaborate on my answer: what I spoke of relates to decommissioning a thing from your shrine so you can use it for something else. Breaking kind of forcibly decommissions something, so . . . There have definitely been times where I've just pitched stuff, but there have also been times where I've done the natron thing and left it in the sun because . . . why not? ^_^

Sorry, I should have explained that more!

Then again, I'm also a huge advocate for doing what feels right for you. <3 Gods know that I've broken plenty of statues in the course of making them, and those definitely just go in the trash without any pomp and ceremony. :P

Senebty,
Gezausenu.
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

Offline Yinepuemsaes

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 01:43:58 pm »
A few months ago, I accidentally broke a chalice that I'd had for thirty years.  I was in college when I got it.  It broke through the stem, into just the two pieces, and I don't have the heart to get rid of it.  So both pieces are on a shelf in my living room right now.
Yinepuemsaes - "Yinepu is her protection"
Sat Yinepu
Meryt Bast

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3007
  • stats Total Posts: 288224
  • stats Total Topics: 19543
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything