collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 80
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Wepwawet, Star Jackal, and Sed  (Read 697 times)

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
Wepwawet, Star Jackal, and Sed
« on: July 15, 2018, 01:05:45 pm »
I’m very curious about the differences, if any, people feel exist between:

Sed - King, ancient, huge, a deity so intimately involved with Wepwawet that they may be the same God

Wepwawet as king - A powerful and historical aspect of Wepwawet’s identity

Star Jackal - UPG name for a celestial, primordial manifestation of Wepwawet. Ancient and kingly are other terms I've heard used.

Wepwawet-Sed - Wepwawet aspected or syncretised with Sed, gaining the traits of Sed or having them amplified

Every time I think I've got my musings on this nailed down, they shift again. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Senebty
Meset Wepwawet
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, her Hethert-Amenti
Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Sau Apprentice
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓁥𓇼

Offline Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Wepwawet, Star Jackal, and Sed
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 10:10:14 pm »
Following with interest :)
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet, Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, and Heru wer

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu,Sed/Fundraising Team

Offline Sobeqsenu

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 07:26:22 am »

Sed - King, ancient, huge, a deity so intimately involved with Wepwawet that they may be the same God

Star Jackal - UPG name for a celestial, primordial manifestation of Wepwawet. Ancient and kingly are other terms I've heard used.

Wepwawet-Sed - Wepwawet aspected or syncretised with Sed, gaining the traits of Sed or having them amplified

Every time I think I've got my musings on this nailed down, they shift again. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Senebty

Oooh, I love me some Jackal theory. *cracks knuckles*

I started getting "Star Jackal" back in 2016, and ever since then He's sort of been taking over my life. For me, Star Jackal is what I call the super old, super spooky manifestation of Wepwawet who started showing up in my shrine at that time. In reality, He is Wepwawet-as-King: He shows up as the Firstborn Son in the Sed festival and is sometimes equated with Heru-sa-Aset in that He is called the son of Wesir and described as "avenging His Father". He is the oldest heir to the Royal throne, and shares some qualities with Shu (another ancient King in some settings) as "He Who separates Heaven from Earth". He is the Wepwawet described in funerary texts where the King is said to "become Wepwawet".

When I interact with Him, He feels huge and ancient, like He fills the expanse of the sky -- sort of like the feeling you get when you look at a valley from the top of a mountain, an empty space that *is* something. UPG tells me that, because He is so old and vast, He is connected to the movements of the cosmos, the orbit of the planets, the formation of stars within nebulae and the like. Hence: Star Jackal.

So for me, all four of those Jackals overlap significantly. "Star Jackal" is the Presence that Wepwawet-as-King wears when He is at my shrine. Wepwawet-Sed, if I understand my history correctly (which I may not), would be Wepwawet as He functions within the Sed Festival, which would by necessity be Wepwawet-as-King due to the nature of the ritual. Sed Himself can possibly be considered the ur-Jackal, the most ancient form of Wepwawet, because the Sed cult was eventually subsumed by Wepwawet's. That would make Sed the oldest manifestation of Wepwawet that we have -- a likely candidate for the Star Jackal Who started showing up in my shrine.

Basically -- when I say "Star Jackal", I mean Wepwawet-as-King -- Who is Wepwawet-Sed by way of the Heb-Sed rituals -- Who is Sed by way of the evolution of Sed into Wepwawet historically -- Who is associated with the creation and maintenance of the Universe and all of space by way of UPG. ^_^;

I hope some of that made sense, since it was a little difficult to write out coherently!

Senebty,
Sobeq
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 07:35:01 pm »

Senebty

Em hotep nefer, all! 🤗

I cannot comment extensively on the Sed-manifestations, but I agree with Sobeq's estimation, in that "Star-Jackal" and "Wepwawet the King" are integrated manifestations.

What you describe as "Star-Jackal" sounds to me like Wepwawet-Re.

Senebty! 😊
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Yinepuemsaes

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 06:59:55 pm »
I am loving this thread...and I hope more is added to it. 
Yinepuemsaes - "Yinepu is her protection"
Sat Yinepu
Meryt Bast

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 02:27:41 pm »
Wepwawet is associated with the constellation Orion,  at least according to an inscription from the Temple  of Philae. 

I love the idea of the star Jackal.  It also makes me  think of the primordial god, Wepwawet-Ra.
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het her Wepwawet her Sekhmet-Mut her Ra

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2932
  • stats Total Posts: 285905
  • stats Total Topics: 19383
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything